Please Help - Am I reading this right?

Options
http://lifestylemanagement.com/state_law_pages/laws_iowa.htm

I'm trying to get my nutrition certification through ISSA.

If I'm reading this right, I won't be able to use that certification in the state of Iowa.

Am I reading it right?

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Best I can tell, when you get the cert, you can practice. You must have the cert to give advice.
  • Kwoman2912
    Options
    That is strange. To me it seems you cannot advise on weight loss unless you are an RD or work for a weight loss company. BUT then it says you can advise on nutrition but not weight loss specifically?
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Only licensed dietitions can provide advice on nutrition. "IT IS, THEREFORE, ASSUMED TO BE ILLEGAL TO PROVIDE ANY NUTRITION SERVICES WITHOUT THE APPROVAL OF A LICENSED DIETITIAN. "

There are a number of exemptions to the law about who can give nutritional advice. They include professionals who provide general educational services, doctors, people who work for weight loss companies, members of the military, etc. So people working for Weight Watchers can give advice on weight loss even though they aren't dieticians.

Is this what you're looking at?

"Dietitians who are licensed in another state, in the U.S. possession, or country, or have received at least a baccalaureate degree and are in the state of Iowa for the purpose of consultation, or conducting a teaching clinical demonstration in connection with a program of basic clinical education. "

This means that if you are licensed in another state, you can provide nutritional services in Iowa as a short term consultant. However, it suggests that if you take a job in Iowa, you need to be licensed in Iowa.

That's the best of my reading. I would call them.