Interval training on cross/elliptical trainer

Options
Hi all,

CONFUSED.....I've been doing interval training on my cross/elliptical trainer..now i thought on the lower levels you should "sprint" as fast as you can and then the higher levels go at a slower pace as there is more resistance. Just read it should be the other way round?!

What way is correct?

Thanks! xxx

Replies

• gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Im probably not much use to you but logically I couldnt sprint up a steep incline but I know Im burning because my heart rate monitor says so,I could run on a lower incline faster cant sprint anyway,so I cant understand how you do it the other way around I suppose if you are super fit you could sprint up a steep incline but golly Id drop dead,I think in these things common sense should prevail and work at where you are comfortable it will increase as you get fitter!
  • Im probably not much use to you but logically I couldnt sprint up a steep incline but I know Im burning because my heart rate monitor says so,I could run on a lower incline faster cant sprint anyway,so I cant understand how you do it the other way around I suppose if you are super fit you could sprint up a steep incline but golly Id drop dead,I think in these things common sense should prevail and work at where you are comfortable it will increase as you get fitter!

Yep i know what you mean! the harder resistance i physically cannot go fast....so i sprint (well go really fast) on the lower levels. I'm sweating loads by the end and burn a good amount of calories so hopefully it's doing something :) xxx
  • Bump -anyone else?!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I did intervals, the higher levels you sprinted and the lower levels were for rest periods inbetween.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I actually keep a steady pace throughout. I use level 5 out of 10 so it's not the easiest yet not the hardest. I know I am doing it right when I dont have to slow down for the hard bits, I just increase my exersion. I do this for 10 minutes. I do not go flat out at the easy bits because I just push the peddles with my legs and arms in a running motion, then when it gets to the hill I use my arm resistance to keep myself at the same pace, this gets my HR to its max!! This has been very effective for me
  • Thank you!!!! :) xxx
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Since the idea is to work hard during a work interval, it doesn't really make any difference. The general concept of "sprinting" doesn't mean anything on a cross trainer. In general, it is not a good idea to do all out "sprints" on cross trainers--it's hard on the equipment and most people look really silly doing it.

Ideally, you will find the right combination of speed and reistance that will allow you to easily and consistently reach the desired work level.

For whatever reason, I do best at higher speeds in general, so I maintain my regular workout pace and just crank up the resistance a couple of levels--maybe increase the pace by 10%.

Others who go at a slower pace might find it best to take up the resistance a little bit and increase the speed substantially.

Either one will work--just don't automatically assume that you need to "sprint" on a cross trainer the same as you would running.
  • Since the idea is to work hard during a work interval, it doesn't really make any difference. The general concept of "sprinting" doesn't mean anything on a cross trainer. In general, it is not a good idea to do all out "sprints" on cross trainers--it's hard on the equipment and most people look really silly doing it.

Ideally, you will find the right combination of speed and reistance that will allow you to easily and consistently reach the desired work level.

For whatever reason, I do best at higher speeds in general, so I maintain my regular workout pace and just crank up the resistance a couple of levels--maybe increase the pace by 10%.

Others who go at a slower pace might find it best to take up the resistance a little bit and increase the speed substantially.

Either one will work--just don't automatically assume that you need to "sprint" on a cross trainer the same as you would running.

Thank you! xxx
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The point is to work really hard during your interval to get your heart rate up. The speed of your legs doesn't matter. However, it seems to me like cranking up the resistance would be better because it might build more strength in your legs than peddling super fast at a lower resistance.

I do "wingate" intervals on a stationary bike about once per week for conditioning. I usually peddle slowly for 2 minutes at level 5, then crank it up to level 20 and go "all out" for 30 seconds.
  • The point is to work really hard during your interval to get your heart rate up. The speed of your legs doesn't matter. However, it seems to me like cranking up the resistance would be better because it might build more strength in your legs than peddling super fast at a lower resistance.

I do "wingate" intervals on a stationary bike about once per week for conditioning. I usually peddle slowly for 2 minutes at level 5, then crank it up to level 20 and go "all out" for 30 seconds.

That makes perfect sense - thank you!!! im hoping my last few workouts havent been a waste of time! i've still burnt a fair amount of calories (around 600 calories each time) but will do it your way tonight :)
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    When I did intervals, the higher levels you sprinted and the lower levels were for rest periods inbetween.
    Same here, that's how you do intervals. Work at your max, then rest, & repeat
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attn to the levels... I pick the program i want to do - set the begining resistance & do my time intervals. either 1 min all out / 1 min "chill" or 2/1, 1/2, etc...

I just figure I need to keep my body from getting used to one set pace so I try to change it up.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I understand the CONCEPT of interval training but I question its use in all circumstances. For example, if someone is not accustomed to wroking out regularly, especially someone in my age cohort, I would worry that the person is just taxing their heart beyond what is healthy. I have seen some people really pushing it to the point at which I become frightened. Your thoughts?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I understand the CONCEPT of interval training but I question its use in all circumstances. For example, if someone is not accustomed to wroking out regularly, especially someone in my age cohort, I would worry that the person is just taxing their heart beyond what is healthy. I have seen some people really pushing it to the point at which I become frightened. Your thoughts?

Partly it depends on how one defines "interval training". It is often given a very narrow definition--i.e. equated with "sprint training".

All "interval training" means is that you are alternating work and recovery intervals. Those "work" intervals can be very short and at a moderate pace, if that is what is called for.

30 years ago, in outpatient cardiac rehab, we would start new patients out with 4 intervals of 5 min each of aerobic exercise, with 1-2 min recovery in between. The "work" intervals were at about a 50% effort level. That was "interval training".

A beginner can just insert 4-6, 1 minute intervals into a 30-40 min cardio workout, where the interval effort is only 10%-15% more than what they usually do. That is "interval training".

Interval training--in its various forms--is a cornerstone of effective exercise training. But most people do not need to do the type of "sprint" interval workouts that are the current fad.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That was a terrific post to clarify my questions