fat free butternut squash and bean soup (new fav!)

Options
toriaenator
toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
Just made this today for the first time and i loved it! Its hearty and satisfying. in fact, I'm eating it right now :D

Per Serving: 190 calories 41g carbs 0g fat 8g protein 682g sodium 9g fiber

INGREDIENTS (7-8 servings):
- 3 or more cups of peeled, cubed butternut squash (trader joes has this, as well as costco)
- 2 cans of beans (small white or black)
- 1 can of mexican-style stewed tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 can whole tomatoes chopped (undrained),
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4ths tablespoon ground cinnamon
-1/2 rap group cumin
- 1/8th teaspoon pepper

Start off by sautéing the onion, garlic, cinnamon and cumin powder until the onions are tender. Add the broth, squash, tomatoes, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes (or until squash is tender.)

Take half the mixture (or more, or less-your choice for consistency) and puree in electric blender. Return puree into soup. Stir in the beans.

For a heartier meal, chicken, peas, etc can be added :D

Replies

• CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Bump ;)
  • KarenDStevens
    KarenDStevens Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This recipe looks really good. Going to try and make it tonight. It is rainy and damp today in Maine, so thought it would be a good, warming meal. Question I have is, what is the serving size for this recipe? I have the nutritional info as listed per serving 190 calories, 41g carbs, 0g fat, 8g protein, 682g sodium, 9g fiber.
  • rmarie1017
    rmarie1017 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just made this today for the first time and i loved it! Its hearty and satisfying. in fact, I'm eating it right now :D

Per Serving: 190 calories 41g carbs 0g fat 8g protein 682g sodium 9g fiber

INGREDIENTS (7-8 servings):
    - 3 or more cups of peeled, cubed butternut squash (trader joes has this, as well as costco)
    - 2 cans of beans (small white or black)
    - 1 can of mexican-style stewed tomatoes (14 oz)
    - 1 can whole tomatoes chopped (undrained),
    - 1 cup chopped onion
    - 2 cloves of garlic
    - 4 cups vegetable broth
    - 3/4ths tablespoon ground cinnamon
    -1/2 rap group cumin
    - 1/8th teaspoon pepper

Start off by sautéing the onion, garlic, cinnamon and cumin powder until the onions are tender. Add the broth, squash, tomatoes, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes (or until squash is tender.)

Take half the mixture (or more, or less-your choice for consistency) and puree in electric blender. Return puree into soup. Stir in the beans.

For a heartier meal, chicken, peas, etc can be added :D

Ooooh! I love butternut squash! This sounds delicious, but what is the serving size?
  • aahand
    aahand Posts: 27
    Options
    bump
  • sophie428
    sophie428 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!:smile:
  • mickeymouse38
    mickeymouse38 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump:)