ground turkey is getting boring!

Options

Replies

• jamieann804
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! We eat a bunch of different lean meats. Chicken, pork and turkey (ground or not!) I just always have the ground turkey on hand and seem to make the same things with it all the time! (meatloaf and tacos seem to be up there) I don't eat a lot of red meat, if any at all. I don't feel well when I do. That is just me. :)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Lemon Pepper Turkey Stuffed Green Peppers

1 pkg ground turkey
    1 pkg uncle bens 90 sec wild rice in pouch
    4 green peppers
    lemon pepper seasoning
    Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
    low-fat mozarella cheese (optional)
    8x8 baking dish

Pre heat oven to 425 degrees
    Mix ground turkey and wild rice with lemon pepper seasoning and Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning. Add as much or as little seasoning you want.
    Cut off tops of cleaned and washed green peppers and stuff each pepper with the ground turkey mixture.
    Bake in oven for 45min - 1 hr on 425degrees. Different temps and oven baking times varies due to oven.
    Add mozarella to the top of each green pepper 5 mins before removing from oven.

This sounds absolutely wonderful! I used Tony's on just about everything.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Someone already said meatloaf, but here's one of my favorite ground turkey recipes:

Turkey & Quinoa Meatloaf: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/detail.aspx

1/4 cup quinoa
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 large clove garlic, chopped
    1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon water

Directions
    1.Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.

2.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

3.Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.

4.Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.

5.Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Enjoy! :smile:

I've made this many times and its delicious, even better the next the day.

But as someone else said - why are you eating so much ground turkey? Other lean protein sources will change things up.
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    ground turkey, add oregano,garlic salt, organic tomato paste, can of mix veggies, make tostadas:tongue: ,lettuce,parmesan cheese and avocado !!!:tongue:
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    meatloaf, spaghetti, lasagna, burgers, stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage, tacos, chili, meatballs, meat sauce (red or brown gravy) to put over rice or mashed potatoes, nachos, shepherds pie, etc
  • mswonderwoman78
    Options
    Also try Jenni-O turkey website for recipe ideas.
  • Ashleyanne271
    Ashleyanne271 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    All these recipes look great! I don't eat meat, but I try to cook ground turkey a lot for my husband. His favorite is turkey meatball subs.
  • ninabolous12
    ninabolous12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lemon Pepper Turkey Stuffed Green Peppers

1 pkg ground turkey
    1 pkg uncle bens 90 sec wild rice in pouch
    4 green peppers
    lemon pepper seasoning
    Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
    low-fat mozarella cheese (optional)
    8x8 baking dish

Pre heat oven to 425 degrees
    Mix ground turkey and wild rice with lemon pepper seasoning and Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning. Add as much or as little seasoning you want.
    Cut off tops of cleaned and washed green peppers and stuff each pepper with the ground turkey mixture.
    Bake in oven for 45min - 1 hr on 425degrees. Different temps and oven baking times varies due to oven.
    Add mozarella to the top of each green pepper 5 mins before removing from oven.

This sounds delish!!!!! Definately a must try.
  • sarah1334
    sarah1334 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Chicken meatballs is one of my FAVORITES! I'm actually going to eat leftovers of this for lunch today! I like them better than regular meatballs.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/10/baked-chicken-meatballs/

I don't include any pancetta and use whole wheat bread crumbs... and it turns out amazing. I eat it with whole wheat pasta with red sauce... yum.
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just recently I tried Jamie Eason's turkey burgers it was yummy. It mixes ground turkey and zucchini its so juicy I also added a ton of other seasonings and made it even better. Good luck.
  • Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bumping for all the great ground turkey recipes! YUMMO.
    I make it like taco meat and put on green salad with peppers, carrots, grated cheddar, salsa and sour cream for taco salad. You could add crushed nachos on top.
  • WOV_mom
    Options
    I use ground turkey a lot so, i know it's hard to season but I found "SOY CHORIZO" at Trader Joe's and I use that with my turkey to make Turkey Tacos or Tostadas with the veggies mmmm good, and I hated soy before this but you can't even tell it's soy!! My family loves it!
  • krisha36
    Options
    i do ground turkey- can of diced tomotoes in garlic. add chic peas. serve over whole wheat pasta or rice
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Taco Stew from Crockin' Girls:
    (They use ground beef, but I substitute turkey)

Brown a pound or so of ground turkey, then add it to your crockpot with:
    2 cans of beans (I use one can each pinto and great northern)
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can Rotel with green chiles
    1 can of corn
    1 packet taco seasoning mix
    1 packet ranch dressing mix

Mix together and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4 hours, just long enough to let the flavors blend.

It works out to about 48 calories per ounce.
  • lmdou110
    Options
    bump
  • laconesa
    laconesa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jubeemine
    Options
    We use ground turkey in chili & it's fantastic. I prefer it over beef chili. We do simple chili. Turkey, cans of chili beans, chili spice, chopped onion & jalapeños chopped and about 2 tablespoons of jalapeño juice added at the last 5 mins of cook time. It's so good, & now I want some. Lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm with a few others here that maybe you should mix it up a bit. Personally, I eat a lot of turkey, ground or otherwise...but I also eat quite a bit of fish, including salmon, tuna, tilapia, cod, sea bass, and all kinds of shell fish...squid, etc. I also eat quite a bit of chicken and lean cuts of pork like pork tenderloin and sirloin tip. These are all fantastic sources of lean protein. Also, don't be afraid of a little red meat. I'm trying to lower my LDL and am watching my sat fats, but I treat myself to some red meat at least once per week and often twice...as long as it fits in my sat fat goal for the day or I'm greatly under for the week it's no biggie. Beyond that, healthy fats are good for you and necessary for proper nutrition...don't be afraid of it.

Personally, I couldn't eat turkey, turkey, turkey all of the time...I need variety, not just in the dishes that I make, but what those dishes consist of.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options