Back at square one and depressed

Options
So here's my story so far. Until recently I was one of those poeple we all hate! I could eat what I wanted, when I wanted, take no serious excercise and never gain weight. I got to 35 and decided it was time to quit smoking. Bam, three months later I realised non of my clothes fit any more and weighed myself, I was horrified to discover I had gained nearly two stone! So I tried to loose weight for over a month with little success, never having had to do it before I didn't really know what I was doing until I found MFP. Having a clear calorie/excercise goal made it so much easier and after a few depressing days (the ones where the scale doesn't shift for days on end and you wonder why you are bothering!) I lost the extra weight. I still hated the entire process, checking the calories in every mouthful of food, doing deals with myself that if I did so and so much excercise I could have this one little treat, being hungry and out of calories for the day, all of it.
Having reached goal I of course stopped being so obsessive about it all and vowed to enjoy my summer. I went to BBQ's and picnics, a couple of festivals and several parties. It's been a blast but of course now the weight is back. So I face the incredibly depressing consequence of having to start the entire horrible experience all over again.
So my questions are these: Can loosing weight not be depressing? And how?
Can I keep the weight off at the end without essentially being on diet for the rest of my life?
Sorry to be so long winded but my biggest problem is that I can't talk to any of my friends about this. They are almost all larger than me so I just get the "why do you want to loose weight, you're fine, look at me" thing from them. They can't understand that I'm not happy being larger than I am used to being. Anyway, I can't afford the new clothes, dieting is cheaper!!

Replies

• jewelsandnitro
    Options
    First of all, congrats on quitting smoking!!
    Its a lifestyle change....Be patient...
    I have had success eating low glycemic foods--lots of fruits & veggies.
    Be sure to get plenty of water. And exercise.
    Try and be mindful of why you are eating. Is it true hunger, or something else?
    Remember, true hunger demands to be fed--an urge will pass.
    (I used to eat when I was happy, sad, stressed, angry, ect.) None of these are reasons to eat.
    I also keep a food journal, and log everything I eat.
    You can keep the weight off, keep working at it.
  • TXStephSki
    TXStephSki Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Boy, have I been there! I did the same darned thing, just over a longer period of time. The good news is that you KNOW you can lose the weight, you know what to do! If you have the willpower to quit smoking, you can do anything you set your mind to!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

So my questions are these: Can loosing weight not be depressing? And how?
    Can I keep the weight off at the end without essentially being on diet for the rest of my life?

Actually I think it can be fun and very empowering. I'm not sure how to get that mindset to click in, but I think it can be done. Things that have helped me so far:

1. Get at least one supportive friend.
    2. Find e kind of exercise that you love. It doesn't have to be the "best workout ever", but something you look forward to that enhances your life.
    3. Find healthy food choices you love. And eat more protein so you aren't as hungry.
    4. Don't get too drastic all at once. 1200 calories a day will make anyone crabby. Find the group where they discuss TDEe, etc, such as "in place of a road map" if you haven't already.
    5. Focus on the good. That you have quit smoking, or that you're getting stronger, or that you feel awesome, not "how much more I have to lose"
    6. Remember, the first week is the hardest. Reward yourself if you stick to it a whole week.

Good luck!!!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I think it's very easy to see weight loss as something negative; a horrible vortex of deprivation and misery and willingness to sacrifice, say, a kidney for a Mars bar whilst clock-watching on the treadmill. I get it.

Perhaps turn it on its head - forget any notions of being 'good' or 'bad', or 'I should' or 'I shouldn't' and look at this as a long-term investment. A lifestyle change.

Find an exercise you really enjoy - zumba for me, personally - and make it habit. Winter's coming and so are the cold dark nights and my word, the sofa is more comfortable than I could ever describe. But you don't get the bum you want by sitting on it. Perhaps rope a friend in and you can be support for each other. I know weight loss has a lot to do with diet but for me, the endorphins and sense of well-being boosted me just as much, and I was more likely to make sensible food choices to fuel my body.

I'm a binge-eater, and one of the biggest problems I had was that I didn't so much fall off the wagon as roll in the dust naked covered in glitter and lard. One bad day, or meal - and they'll happen - doesn't mean that all is lost. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and chalk it up to a mere slip-up. Nip it in the bud.

Plainly put - I used to hate exercise. And I mean hate. Now? I actually look forward to it. I've made friends for life through my zumba class (just come back from holiday with them, as it goes), am addicted to endorphins, and am the happiest I've ever been. Was it hard at times? God yes. Such a daunting task.

Would I do it all again if it meant I could be this happy? 100%.

You CAN do it. And believe me, it is so worth it - the best thing you will ever do.