Tough month! :(

Options
So... past couple of months I have had a really hard time allowing myself to really eat much. I did this because for a period of time, I had no work out time. Now I am working out again, but havent upped my calories much, and usually don't eat back my calories. I look tired, feel tired, and my hair is not enjoying it. I really need to figure out a way to get over this " not eating much" thing. Some days I only consume 800-900, then work out and burn between 300-500. I am so scared of being 80 lbs heavier again that I just have this big block in my head now. it needs to stop! It's unhealthy and I know it. TOUGH month now that I am feeling it. I need to grow a pair and stop being " nervous" about eating a banana because of it's sugar content!

I guess I need to add more protien rich, and fiber rich foods. I don't like to eat a lot anymore, but when I eat I need it to count.

Any food suggestions for a person who doesn't want to eat over 1200, and has a hard time continually eating?

Replies

• davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Things like peanut butter or any kind of nuts are pretty calorie dense. If you eat a handful or two of those, you get a few hundred reasonably healthy calories without having to fill your stomach too much. They're also great as snacks because they don't spoil in a ziploc or tupperware.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I may do peanuts instead of peanutbutter due to the high sugar content in peanut butter.

I have salmon every day for lunch, but only a small portion, I split a peice into half and eat one each day. Maybe I should just eat the whole thing. it's only about 2-3 ounces ( the halves) So would 6 oz of salmon be too much as my main protien?
  • dycheelizabeth
    Options
    Thanks!

I may do peanuts instead of peanutbutter due to the high sugar content in peanut butter.

I have salmon every day for lunch, but only a small portion, I split a peice into half and eat one each day. Maybe I should just eat the whole thing. it's only about 2-3 ounces ( the halves) So would 6 oz of salmon be too much as my main protien?
    6 oz would be a good portion size, especially if you are working out on a regular basis. I am so glad to hear that you recognized a problem and are willing to fix it! You are doing a great job, keep it up! Oh, and a good way to add a few calories without adding sugar is maybe make an olive oil based sauce for your salmon, contains the "good" fats that your body needs! 1 tablespoon will do the trick!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

6 oz would be a good portion size, especially if you are working out on a regular basis. I am so glad to hear that you recognized a problem and are willing to fix it! You are doing a great job, keep it up! Oh, and a good way to add a few calories without adding sugar is maybe make an olive oil based sauce for your salmon, contains the "good" fats that your body needs! 1 tablespoon will do the trick!

I usually cook it in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Comes out yummy on the pan :)

I definately want to change the bad habit. The hair loss due to low calorie intake just started and it really made me rethink everything big time. I know new dieters lose hair sometimes, and I have a crap ton of hair anyway, so I will be fine..it will prob take about 6 months for it to be normal again. I need to eat more protiens, and good fats. I am just new at this and learning so much. Ill take the good, the bad, and the ugly, so long at the end I am HEALTHY. I also have coconut oil, but I have NO idea how to even eat it.. and flax oil...good things to add, but have a hard time figuring out what to do with them.
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For the peanut butter, Smuckers has a peanut butter made from only peanuts. No sugar.

As for the salmon, eat the whole portion. You are not eating enough calories anyway. Salmon has very little calories compared to other meats. I look at my calories and determine what and how much I can eat at each meal. Some days I do not eat 1200 calories either. But then there are days when I feel I need to eat more. Listen to your body.

If you continue to only eat 800-900 calories, your body will show it. Please don't get into starvation mode. It is so easy to slip into that mode when you have been overweight. I had 65 pounds to lose. Lost 28 pounds so far. When I eat less than 1200 calories, my metabolism slows down to conserve energy - which equals less weight loss.

You seem to know how to eat healthy; just afraid of eating too much and the wrong kinds of food. Just remember the food groups. You need fruits, vegetables, meats & fish, breads, dairy in your diet. Read labels and make sure you are getting the healthiest of these food groups. Natural sugars - such as what is in fruits - are not the same as processed sugars.

Since you are not eating enough, you also need a good multivitamin. I also take biotin for my hair, B12, and of course calcium and vitamin D. Check with your local health food store - and your Dr. - he can keep a check on your health.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would suggest boiled eggs? They are great for protein and if you eat two there is 110 calories there, but it will also keep you full. I would say..just focus on protein and that will help your calorie intake.

Also, remember that you dont want your body to go into starvation mode and not burn the fat when you work out.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    800 calories! So little! I think what you really need to focus on is getting the eating habits under control. You know that's not enough, so slowly try to up it to something above 1200. Your weight may fluctuate some, but it'll stabilize as your body remembers what it's like to actually get enough fuel. Hopefully the hair loss was a wake-up call! Scary! Adding more calorie-dense foods like nuts is a great start. Please take care of your health - who wants to be thin but sickly? Best of luck to you
  • debcoug12
    debcoug12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted your concern. I am experiencing the same thing.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try healthy shakes. Eating is not your enemy. It's all about what kind of foods you put into you mouth. If you eat fast food all the time then that's bad, but if you eat healthy snacks like fruit then you're fine.