Losing focus!

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the site and I also just joined a biggest loser program through my work which is a 12 week program. We are 2.5 weeks into it and I have been faithful to the fullest as far as eating properly and exercising 4 times a week, sometimes 5. I lost an awesome 11 lbs for my first weigh-in and in the 2nd weigh in...not a lb. I get the whole "you lose more the first week" theory and that is not my problem. My problem is I'm already sick of eating the same old thing. If I eat one more turkey sandwich, or yogurt, or string cheese I think I might lose it. My diet consists of 40% Carbs 40% protein and 20% fat. 1750 cals a day. Any ideas would be great to get me out of this slump because I feel, I dont know, blah. Is this normal to feel that way? Its only been 2.5 weeks but I just want to quit. Nothing seems right. I dont even look forward to weekends or even my own birthday because of this damn diet. This is definately the toughest thing I have ever done. Any thoughts on switching it up or even just some motivational speakers??

Irritated - Jon

Replies

• jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel about turkey sandwiches!
    I would say - eat normal food. Just don't eat so much of it. Everybody reaches points when they want to quit. Also, I have one "cheat meal" a week. I know the true die-hard fans of this site will condemn me for it, but it keeps me on track.

So... that was the best I could do for being motivational. Dieting stinks sometimes. You'll get through it if you really want to.
  • heathermin
    Options
    Hi Jon.
    Well done on week 1. I think you need to re-focus. 11lbs is a load to lose but realistically 1lb a week is the target you should set if you want to keep the weight off. My aim is to balance meals so that I have my carbs at lunch and proteins at night - in the past this worked. A good book is The Food Doctor diet... it mainly advocates sensible eating and gives ideas for lunch / dinner. I don't stick rigidly to this but do use it on "stuck" nights.
    Also are you pushing it too quick too soon? If you're not used to exercise 5 x per week is lots. Go easier on yourself if you can. Goback to 3 x with 4 for good luck (the 4th being low key and relaxed)

Sorry for sounding preachy. Keep going and feel free to post back.
    Heather
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely ABSOLUTELY go get a copy of Tosca Reno's 'Eat Clean Diet for Men'. It will be the best investment you make in your health and in feeling free of the "diet" phenomenon that leaves anyone feeling angry and deprived. PLEASE go get a copy. (I have no association with the book or the people, just a wealth of consistent and highly successful people who have read it and her other books!) Good luck :smile:
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    First, welcome and congratulations on your weight loss and for wanting to stick with it even though you feel like you do right now!

This is the time to STICK WITH IT!!!! You have to remind yourself that you CAN do this, and once you push through this tough time, you will be proud of yourself for doing so. HANG IN THERE!!!!

As far as other options for food... How about an egg white omelet with turkey bacon, cheese, mushrooms, spinach and bell peppers? That would taste more like real food probably. Buy a good seasoning (Mrs. Dash no salt) and really season the foods you do eat, if they have flavor, it doesn't feel like diet food. How about a tuna sandwich? How about tacos with lean ground turkey? Make yourself a hamburger with turkey bacon too- there is a great recipe for that in the Biggest Loser cookbook and someone posted it here in the recipes section as well. Apples, fruit, cottage cheese, no salt peanut butter, oatmeal are some other options.

Plus, don't forget, everything in moderation! You don't have to stop eating all the foods you enjoy, just watch your calories (incl. fat, sodium, carbs and sugars) and maybe eat less when you want a "treat". Like pizza? You can have pizza, just can't eat the whole pie! And you wouldn't want to have some every day, your body wouldn't like it too well.

Here is a link to some Biggest loser recipes: http://www.weightwatchers-recipes.net/biggest-loser-recipes.html
    And check out shape.com and this site http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/ that another member here posted yesterday- excellent recipes, easy, and good variety!

Just hang in there, the first few weeks can be the hardest, this is the time you push through, decide you want this for yourself no matter what, and you persevere- You definitely CAN do this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'd get sick of eating the same thing every day, too! Shake it up a little. Eat healthy things that are enticing to you. If your plate isn't exploding with color, then you don't have enough variety! You can still enjoy all the things you did before, just find a way to make them healthier. I enjoy pizza from scratch, stir fry, chili, taco salad, etc etc.
    Go hunting online for recipes. Cook them for dinner, then take the leftovers for lunch :)
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I get sick of eating the same foods over and over again. That is what always causes me fail. I have started fresh today. I even went out and bought a bunch of "new" foods to make. So hopefully I will stay on track this time. I would suggest looking at some of the recipes on here to get new ideas on things to make.
  • Sheri226
    Options
    You can do it. I know what you mean by being so excited after the first week - I lost almost 5 lbs that first week - second week didn't go so quickly, but that is a good thing. The faster you lose the possibilities is you will gain it back. Think of it as changing a lifestyle, not a diet. Also, when you are down think of your goal and not the moment.

For a change in foods to choose from my husband & I have found the tv dinner section at our grocery market is a great place to head. they have so many different foods to choose from: Healthy Choice, Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine, LightLife and more.

When it's in the middle of the afternoon & I just need a boost I'm finding a piece fruit takes care of it. If I'm really good I will even give myself a 1/2 of a cheese sandwich. Just enough to take care of the craving.

Don't deprive yourself though - it makes the next day even harder. I also found out if I don't get enough calories one day, it hits me the next. I love rigatoni & sausage - until I saw the calorie count in my register. The next time I have it I will be more health conscience of my sausage so that I can enjoy it & not feel deprived.

Also, don't forget to do some type of exercise. I find after working out with my daughter's Wii that I'm not hungry, but thirsty.
  • lowcarbgirl
    Options
    Hi there...

Stick with it's only for 12 weeks... and you have already knocked out two! I'd look at what your eating... If you are fed up with turkey sandwiches and string cheese... then get creative. Do you cook? Like ethnic food? Spicy food? Eating the same thing type of thing for 12 weeks can be boring. I'd also watch out for the amount of processed food your having... it can really effect your energy levels... which can totally make the working out a chore. Stick with it. I've found that at first it's way hard to cut back on sweets but after awhile you sense of what is sweet changes... the same with cutting back on salt.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Jon,
    Way to go on the first 11 lbs. I looked at your profile page and saw your ticker has 36 lbs for the goal. Is this correct?

If so, you will have a hard time losing more than 1 lb a week (on average). Since you say you lost 11 lbs initially, I wouldn't be surprised that there was no weight loss in week 2. Do not be discouraged, and make sure you take measurements (neck, waist, hips) to use as another gauge rather than just using the scale.

You also said that you are exercising 4 or 5 times a week. Are you increasing your caloric intake to compensate for the weight you have lost? If not, you may be going into starvation mode, and your body is storing the fat rather than burning it.

One last question Jon, did you put your weight on in just 12 weeks? Probably not. That means that it will not come off in 12 weeks. Be patient, be consistent and hang in there.

Michael
  • jschneider360
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone I truly appreciate it! I am definately a food lover and a good cook but I guess I do get discouraged too easy. It is only the 2nd week so I guess I need to regroup and look at my long term goal. I have cheated only a couple times and felt sooo guilty. Why is that? Before I would gobble it all down and feel great and now I feel "weird" or even
    "guilty" for just cheating on a few bites. Is this the life changes people talk about when dieting? If so, I like my old life..haha. I guess I just have to get more creative with my dishes. Sodium is going to be my number one enemy I think though! We'll see. Thanks for all the great advice!
  • my2boystx
    Options
    This is what I have done and it works great for me and my family! I make my original recipes but just substitute for reduced fat, fat free, low fat, whole grain, and so forth. I look at it as a lifestyle change and not a diet. If I want a piece of cake I will have a piece just a really small piece or I make the no pudge fudge brownies or some other low fat dessert. It's all about changing the way you eat and exercise without depriving yourself. When changing your lifestyle it will take longer, but it is healthier and you are more likely to keep it off. Good Luck to you! :)
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Okay. You're going to have to figure out how to not make this a "diet" but to make it a "lifestyle change." You can't "diet" and then go back to what you were doing before. That just doesn't work. Why? Because eating like you did before got you to the point of thinking you needed to "diet."

So, my advice is to change your entire way of thinking about this. Do some research and come up with new recipes that fit in with your new lifestyle. Realize that exercise will (and should) always be a part of your life and do something you enjoy doing. Embrace this new lease on life with open arms.
    Most importantly, if you stumble back onto a bad habit, catch yourself *immediately.* No "I'll start back next Monday" or even "tomorrow" or any other BS like that.