Slightly afraid to join in

Hi
I'm new to mfp (well I made a half hearted attempt before) and looking for some inspiration which some of you are giving me just by reading your blogs....
I'm a little bit afraid of joining in as feeling a bit shy about this!
this is my 2nd week and after what I thought was working hard last week, followed by a weekend away with my husband and wine! i have put on 2.5 pounds in the last week!
I'm 5ft6 - weigh 11 stone and would like to loose at least a stone (hoping 1.5 stone)...not loads but they seem to be staying on as I get older and with my office job and also creeping on slowly but surely. They are stubborn!
I'm very active and have been for about 5 weeks now....i go to classes 5-6 times a week - zumba, swimming, kettlebells, step, TRX, spinning and jog every now and then. I try and mix it up every week to try and surprise my body?!
any comments or friends welcome

Replies

• ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Jump in feet first! Promise we won't bite!

The support you get here will AMAZE you. I get more support from complete strangers than I do my own family...we're on the same journey, and we won't stop till we get there!!!

Everyone on my friends list I could EASILY be friends with in real life. When you go to add people, the only suggestion I have for ya is to send a request as to WHY you want to be friends. Read their profile. If they seem like a "match", request their friendship. I haven't had anyone turn me away yet...

GOOD LUCK!

You can do this!!!
  • PennyHarris123
    PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
    that was quick thanks!
    wow you've lost 43 pounds that's amazing!
  • lilsaph
    lilsaph Posts: 63 Member
    Hi

Don't lose heart, you might lose weight next week - just make sure that you log ALL of your food and exercise so that you can see when things might be going wrong. Sending a friend request your way!!
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Feel free to friend request me if you'd like! The friends I have are so helpful, just about everyone on this site is! We are all aiming for the same thing, to be fit and healthy! :) Motivation, encouragement and support are the things you need! :) Best of luck! You can do it!! :) I was shy at first as well, I've only been on MFP for a few weeks now, but everyone is really great!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    It is a lifestyle change, not a single episode of weight loss.:wink:
    So making changes for the better continually is what will change your body in the long run.
    Whatever you do, enjoy the process!
    In order to gain 2.5lbs of fat you would have to eat an ADDITIONAL 3600calories above what your body expends on a daily basis for EACH pound of fat.
    So unless you did that, you are likely experiencing the usual and normal water weight that happens to all of us.
    It will leave in a few days as you resume your selected diet/exercise routine.
    Have fun!:bigsmile:
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    I love this site for the support and ideas! Welcome!
    Just keep in mind - you didn't gain the weight overnight, don't expect it to come off overnight!
    The fact that you are here shows that you are making a difference already in that you are more aware of your food choices
    Best of luck to you!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Welcome! This place is great! You will make so many new friends that will last a long while. Please feel free to send me a friend request. I love to support and motivate my friends. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    try not to get discouraged, and do log EVERYTHING!

If you open up your diary, people might be able to give you specific suggestions based on what they see. lol I know its hypocritical of me to say because mine is private, but If things weren't going well or I had a question I would open it up.
  • Pat yourself on the back for all that exercise! That's great.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Hi Penny,

you can link to me if you wish. I've reset my weight counter as I'm in maintenance with my weight :)

Think what strategy you want, define it clearly....
    here's an example I knocked up, feel free to remap it, if you write it down, write it with a pen on paper!
    It adds power to you!
    Read it every day!

Requirement:-
    I wish to lose 1lb a week in body fat whilst increasing my muscle composition over the next 21 weeks.

Solution:-
    I will stay under the recommended kcal recommendations of MFP over this short period.
    I shall only have 1 blow-out day a week, which I can trade with a future week in an emergency. I shall remove sugars from my diet (sweets, cakes, bread, rice, pasta, cous cous, orange juice etc...).
    On my blowout day I can consume any number of kcals and any form of foods I've been missing.
    I will exercise every day, once every morning, once every evening for a minimum of 20 minutes.
    I will sacrifice something to make the time I need (get up earlier, watch less television) over this period.
    I will incorporate a rest plan every 7 to 10 days!

My daily plan will be:-
    Mon: Dance/Kickbox
    Tue: Sprints/Kettlebells
    Wed: exercise A/exercise B
    Thu:rest day
    Fri:exercise A/exercise B
    Sat:exercise A/exercise B
    Sun:exercise A/exercise B

I will weight myself once a week on my rest day. I will not let the scales dictate how I feel.
    I am on a journey for a short period where I understand my weight may go up as well as down.
    Overall I will be in better shape, fitter, stronger & faster.
    People will be amazed at my transformation.
    I will ignore people who attempt to dissuade me from my objectives.

Nothing can stop me, my mind controls my body, I will fuel my body to allow me to reach my full potential!

Now you can tell people you know you're doing this if you want, but I'd advise against it.
    Stick with the MFP crowd.
    When out and about if people question your food choices, tell them you have an allergy.
    If you are given food you do not wish to eat, do not eat it. Eat what you can.
    You are an experiment of one. What works for other people may not work for you.
    It is up to you to tune yourself!

good luck!
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    welcome to the group! You will find so many ways to get motivated from the folks here. I learn something new every day. Feel free to add me if you want! You can do it- YOU ARE WORTH THE WEIGHT LOSS! Have a good day!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Welcome! Keep mixing it up and you will lose weight!
  • It's hard to get started and the motivation and support you get here is amazing! Add me as a friend if you'd like. I've only been here a couple of weeks and have really enjoyed it. Don't beat yourself up over a small gain...just brush yourself off and get back into your plan. We all have moments, so know you aren't alone here!
  • K2ofCU
    K2ofCU Posts: 22 Member
    Am near where you are at (philosophically)- here's what I've found:

- Increase in exercise can result in increase in appetite.
    Watch it!
    LOG EVERYTHING!

- I found that it was important for me to establish the exercise habit first.
    HOWEVER, I saw virtually no changes in my weight /clothing sizes UNTIL I started logging my food.

I discovered that, while I was actually eating less frequently that I am now, that WHAT I was eating was PACKED with hidden calories. My favorite go-to summer drink (strawberry fruit slush!) was 670 cal /170+g carbs!!!) was KILLING my efforts (among other items!)

-I read (somewhere) that there can be increased blood production from increased exercise (and blood does have weight as well as volume). Do be sure that you're getting in 8 glasses of water (to properly hydrate, flush out excess salts, etc.)

-Keep at the exercise, and limit the wine to 4 oz (~100 calories) at a time. (I know, but it can be done! LOL)

BEST of luck to you!

:smile:
  • I hear you! I'm fairly new too, I got discouraged the first time I tried to use it....I guess the old saying, Knowledge is power kicked me in the butt! I need to see what I'm putting in my mouth and do something to get the right amounts/types of foods in my day. I do not like vegetables, so typical "diet" food is out. I've never been one to post on boards, but thought I would give it a try. Good luck to you as you continue your journey.
  • Been working with this app now for 2 weeks and it does work.
    I have been finding my way around and only today came across this Community.
    Not sure how it works yet!!

Been doing this now for 2 weeks on my own with my own motivation.
    Seems to working but as I say, early days in changing lifestyle.

How does this "addme" lark work??
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Step one done: your here!! I made a few half hearted attempts at first as well. I didn't make any friends and just basically used the app on my phone as a glorified calorie counter. I found that now I've made friends I feel a little more accountable to them to be on here regularly and encourage THEM on! I recommend finding friends you have something in common with - it could be your weight loss goals are similar or you have the same exercise routine or it could be something completely unrelated to weight loss. I also have made friends with people whose success stories I found inspiring.

Good luck - you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Happyirisheyes
    Happyirisheyes Posts: 121 Member
    Hi Penny Harris, just dive right in - we are all in the same boat! Feel free to friend me if you want. I find everyone here so helpful. If I have a bad day and I have lots, I get great encouragement and no-one minds how many bad days you have you just get loads of help. Just log in every day, some days will be better than others but at least that will help you to see where you are going wrong!Best of luck!
  • PennyHarris123
    PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
    wow just came across all your replies by accident (still learning and trying to work at the same time!!!) so thank you!!!
    i actually got on the scales this morning and lost 4 pounds!!!! i can't beleive it! feel like jumping through hoops!!! :bigsmile:
    only been on here 2 weeks nearly but been exercising quiet hard for 5 weeks and only seen gain or staying put with my weight so i'm just buzzing today!!! can you all see my diary? i do eat really well, my downfall is wine!!!!! but reducing that ..... good luck to you all too...i'm glad I got on here (my workload isn't!!) THANKS!:smile: