Runners-How do you keep the dogs away?

Options
I run down the road by my house and there are a lot of stray dogs that make their way into our little town. It's not everyday that this happens, but when it does, it's very irritating. They aren't mean and I'm not afraid of them but they are right on my heels and have even gotten under my feet at times. Then they follow me home and want to stay! Grrr! What can I do? (we do not have animal control in this area).

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Bigger dog.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    not really much you can do tho that spray they sell that supposed to keep animals off furniture may help not sure how well it works tho all my dogs are lap dogs... spray bottle with water may also work i use that with the cats
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If they're just following ignore them but if you feel threatened then carry a small pepper spray canister. The little ones fit in your palm easily and will keep most dogs away.
  • ENCORRALES21
    ENCORRALES21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    air horn :) just make sure you dont blast it in the ear's but usually when i run i just give it a little blow and they stop following me:happy:
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    A handful of Milk Bone dog biscuits. Toss them and pesky dogs are gone in no time.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A handful of Milk Bone dog biscuits. Toss them and pesky dogs are gone in no time.

However, then they may be more prone to keep approaching. Our UPS guy gives our dogs treats when he comes, and they have been known to climb in his truck if they think he is taking to long! They love seeing that big brown truck!
  • LupaNera
    Options
    Dogs are habitudinary animals. And i beleive that they just are looking for a home and for human contact. So the best way to stop this behavior is just stop talking to them and ignore them. If they see that they are not getting your attention will just stop following you. And please keep pepper spray for aggressive people not dogs!