Hard core yoga

Options
Any yoga fans out there? Now the last time I did yoga was in the late 80s with a Jane Fonda DVD. Very boring, lots of stretching and sitting still. I have always scoffed when I read about all these celebs getting their toned bods from doing yoga.
However, this morning I thought I'd try a programme I'd recorded off Sky Fitness TV - 'Yogalosophy with Mandy Ingbur'. OMG!!!!!
Yoga has moved on somewhat from the days of Jane Fonda!!! It was hardcore! I can completely understand now how yoga can get you an amazing body. I think my whole body is going to be aching later on.
I've now enrolled in an 'Ashtang Yoga' class starting this Saturday. Not too sure what Ashtang is but I think it might be yoga in a heated room.
Give yoga a try, you might be surprised like I was! It worked every bit of my body.

Replies

• Shanewatson384
    Shanewatson384 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Topic....
  • PurpleCoyote
    PurpleCoyote Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Any yoga fans out there? Now the last time I did yoga was in the late 80s with a Jane Fonda DVD. Very boring, lots of stretching and sitting still. I have always scoffed when I read about all these celebs getting their toned bods from doing yoga.
    However, this morning I thought I'd try a programme I'd recorded off Sky Fitness TV - 'Yogalosophy with Mandy Ingbur'. OMG!!!!!
    Yoga has moved on somewhat from the days of Jane Fonda!!! It was hardcore! I can completely understand now how yoga can get you an amazing body. I think my whole body is going to be aching later on.
    I've now enrolled in an 'Ashtang Yoga' class starting this Saturday. Not too sure what Ashtang is but I think it might be yoga in a heated room.
    Give yoga a try, you might be surprised like I was! It worked every bit of my body.

Ashtanga, I don't think is in a hot room, there is hot yoga and also Bikram Yoga (REALLY intense!) But Ashtanga will get you moving, it is really dynamic, it works on the breathing and flowing between the postures.
    Yeah I break a sweat every time I do yoga, I used to do Bikram (LOVED IT) and now just stick to Vinyasa yoga which kicks my rear every single time! Damn good for me though.
  • little_old_me
    Options
    I love yoga... But with the weight I've put on I actually just started the stretching yoga this morning.. Hoping to work up to the hard core as the weight comes off.. :) It is amazing what kind of workout you can get from balance.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    i took a plain ol' yoga class at my gym once, and was bored to tears, It actually made me mad that I felt stuck in there for an hour! haha..... But I do LOVE pitaiyo. It's offered at my gym because one of the founders/creators works there and it's amazing..... It's a blend of pilates, tai chi, yoga (I think along the lines of ashtanga, which someone else mentioned), and qi gong breathing. It's amazing. Is super intense and really gets you moving, and stretched out!
  • Lisamar74
    Options

Ashtanga, I don't think is in a hot room, there is hot yoga and also Bikram Yoga (REALLY intense!) But Ashtanga will get you moving, it is really dynamic, it works on the breathing and flowing between the postures.
    Yeah I break a sweat every time I do yoga, I used to do Bikram (LOVED IT) and now just stick to Vinyasa yoga which kicks my rear every single time! Damn good for me though.

Ah I see, thanks! I wish there was a place near me that did Bikram. There's very little by way of yoga where I live.
  • PurpleCoyote
    Options
    i took a plain ol' yoga class at my gym once, and was bored to tears, It actually made me mad that I felt stuck in there for an hour! haha..... But I do LOVE pitaiyo. It's offered at my gym because one of the founders/creators works there and it's amazing..... It's a blend of pilates, tai chi, yoga (I think along the lines of ashtanga, which someone else mentioned), and qi gong breathing. It's amazing. Is super intense and really gets you moving, and stretched out!

Pitaiyo sounds rather good! I'd love to try tai chi or related, i think qi gong is related to tai chi? But unfortunately I haven't found the time yet! One day. That stretched feeling is great isn't it!
    What a shame on the ordinary yoga class, I've always felt super challenged in my classes so far, perhaps I've just been lucky in my instructors!
  • PurpleCoyote
    Options
    [Ah I see, thanks! I wish there was a place near me that did Bikram. There's very little by way of yoga where I live.

Whereabouts do you live? Bikram is getting more popular, you might find there is a studio near you or you can go do a course (I believe), it's well worth trying, but it rips every bit out of you and spits you out in a wee puddle. Well it did to me! :)
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    [Ah I see, thanks! I wish there was a place near me that did Bikram. There's very little by way of yoga where I live.

Whereabouts do you live? Bikram is getting more popular, you might find there is a studio near you or you can go do a course (I believe), it's well worth trying, but it rips every bit out of you and spits you out in a wee puddle. Well it did to me! :)

I'm in North East England. I've just found a Vinyasa yoga class so when I've finished with my Ashtanga think I'll try that.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Ashtanga is a specific set of poses but is similar to vinyasa flow. I like flow better because it varies. Never tried Hot Yoga since I don't really like being hot. I used to do 90 minutes of hatha but my instructors did a lot of flow type poses along with the stretching and strength. I sometimes find yin/restore a little boring but it is a good, long, stretch and relaxing after a long day. If you can find and afford a studio they often have teachers for all different types and levels of yoga.
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am doing DDP Yoga. IT can be intense if you do it the way he says to do it. Yes DDP was a wrestler in the 80's. That is why it's tag line is "This ain't your mommas's yoga!" LOL For a 55 year old man he can do some pretty amazing things. Most of the workouts are 20 to 25 minutes. There are 3 or 4 of the more intense ones that are 50 minutes. You can check it out at DDPyoga.com.