Calories vs Calories after Exercise

Options
I just started on Monday with this site and I'm having issues with the number of calories I take in on a daily basis along with exercise. My normal goal is 1200 calories when I add in my exercise it jump up to 1600 - 1800 (depending on the exercise). Yet I end up only taking in around 1100 to 1200. Should I force myself to eat those extra calories even though I'm not hungry?

Replies

• cjk76
    cjk76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have noticed something similar. At least at the start, I'm not eating much (if any) on top of my goal (I get 2000 at this point). I'm buying a food scale to keep my diary postings honest and to make sure I know what is going into large recipes.

In any case, I won't eat if I'm not hungry anymore. I came from a "don't ever waste food/finish your plate" kind of family. That isn't who I want to be anymore.

Make sure you stay hydrated. I was previously dehydrated a lot and didn't feel full very often.

There are concerns about your body going into "starvation mode" and slowing your motabolism way down. You would probably be hungry at that point.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I just started on Monday with this site and I'm having issues with the number of calories I take in on a daily basis along with exercise. My normal goal is 1200 calories when I add in my exercise it jump up to 1600 - 1800 (depending on the exercise). Yet I end up only taking in around 1100 to 1200. Should I force myself to eat those extra calories even though I'm not hungry?

You should never force yourself to eat more if you feel full. However you can eat more calorie dense foods to get more calories into your body. Avocados and nuts are my favorite.
  • harrellk5
    Options
    Thank you. Once I'm done working out I'll try eating some nuts or something. I heard that eating some protein after a workout helps with muscle soreness. Thank you again!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You don't need to force yourself to eat more if you're not hungry. Just eat more calorie dense food and you'll be fine.
  • skudera27
    Options
    Agreed with comments above. A lot of people post on here that they aren't losing weight, and after looking at their diary, they just simply aren't eating enough calories. It took a while for me to really grasp that concept, but for most people it's true. Just try to make sure that your diary is as accurate as possible and you'll be on your way to your target goal.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i've honestly never understood how someone can have a hard time reaching 1200 calories, but hey, that's just me.

eat more calorie dense foods. i'm sure you're probably deficient in good fats (in the very least) if you're only intaking 1100-1200 . examples: olive oil, almonds, fish, avocado.

if the volume of food you can ingest is limited, then make that food COUNT!!! make choices that give you the most nutritional bang for your buck. fill up on protein, good fat and wholesome carbohydrates before reaching for empty calories.