College Students?

Options
I've been living a healthy lifestyle since new years and have gotten off track for a week or two here and there, but I have NEVER struggled like this to stick to it! I'm a Junior in college; I take 15 credit hours plus work a part time job 30 hours a week. Then you have to count in the multiple hours of homework a day and trying to sleep a relatively decent amount. It's so frustrating. I'm used to having free time, but I can barely remember to eat these days! And when I do eat, it's generally not as healthy as I'd like it to be because I'm always on the go and don't really have the time to prepare food ):

I guess I'm just looking for some people who relate?

I'm only about 15-20 lbs away from my goal weight, but it just seems like it's so far away. I'd really love to be at my goal weight by Christmas, but ultimately I just want to look and feel great by my 21st birthday! (Next July.)

I know I have time and probably need to stop stressing about it and do my best, but I've been working SO hard for over half a year and I'm so paranoid that I'm throwing all my hard work down the drain! Even though I've been not so healthy for about a month now and I've only gained maybe 1 or 2 lbs, I feel like I've gained so much.

Wahhhhhhh someone motivate me. Hahahaha.

Replies

• SABCCB
    Options
    I can relate to you. I am also a junior in college talking 20 credits and working a 30 hr a week job.
  • michay
    michay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm a full-time grad student working 2 part-time jobs on top of a 15hr a week internship...it gets crazy. I'm also having a hard time staying on the wagon. Even though I haven't been eating super well lately, I've been trying to get in the routine of taking advantage of the fitness classes our rec center offers for free, riding my bike to class, work, internship, etc., instead of driving, taking stairs instead of elevators, etc. WHEN I remember, I pack my lunches and snacks the night before that way I don't have an excuse if I run out of time to make something. But that chinese food in the food court is definitely a hard temptation to resist!
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a senior in college taking 18 credit hours, with 10 hours/week at a part time job with 25 hours/week of rehearsal (I'm a theatre major, directing emphasis). It's often really hard to do what you need to do for yourself. Be sure to pack some healthy snacks with you. i love almonds or granola bars (but be careful about sugar).

Add me and we can support each other!
  • blpasquarella
    blpasquarella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I guess the biggest plus side is that I work at Chipotle so not only do I get free dinner every night and the options aren't horrible (salads, bowls, corn soft tacos, what have you!) I'm also on my feet for 8 hours during my shift and we're always busy as heck! I'm constantly moving and running around! Definitely burning some major calories that way.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I feel ya... I graduated in 2010... full time student... single mom... active in 4 clubs... and volunteering at the college... three jobs...

wow I am tired just writing that!!!

so now I am a RN and working full time (36hrs) in intensive care... in jan I am going back to school to get my bachelors and then masters... I will have masters by 2018! (EEEKKK)

all I can say is to use your planner... schedule your time... study home work family etc...

I LOVE my crock pot... it is my indentured servant... it makes it so I can spend 15 min of food prep... but feel like I spent hours... and I can get it ready in the evening before I go to bed... put it in the fridge... then take it out and turn it on in the morning before I leave for stuff... and come home... I feel loved when I come in and my house smells like someone has been cooking all day... :)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I graduated a bit over a year ago. Being healthy in college was difficult for me because I lived on campus and didn't prepare my own meals and there was always junk around, plus the time factor. I fully support and encourage you trying to get to your goals, but I'll also say if you can just maintain until you graduate you should be proud of yourself, and when you have more time you can focus on losing.

What I'd suggest: avoid the pizza nights, avoid the free cookies at meetings, avoid binge drinking with your friends on the weekends. Try to spend your freest day (Sunday?) cooking a crap ton of healthy food you can put into containers so you have everything portioned out. If you're stuck eating at the cafeteria, talk to the chefs about what's healthy, don't go back for seconds, and try to remember your meals should be 1/4 lean protein, 1/4 healthy carbs, and 1/2 veggies. Don't take the campus buses, ever - walk or bike to get your exercise in, and take the stairs every single time. All of this takes a lot of willpower, but if you really want it you can do it =)
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    I'm not a student but I can understand time limitations. However there has to be point where you decide if you let life define you or you stop making excuses and start defining your own life.Things that can help with meals for a week is to cook and prepare them for all days necessary and store them I personally cook all my meals for 7 days on Saturday its ****ty and takes outta time I could spend chilling but I think of it as I either eat or I starve. I carry all my meals for the day in my assault pack everywhere I go when on duty just get a cool bag and tupperware containers throw them in a backpack or gym bag Im sure you have one of the two being a student. Also if you do miss a meal which I don't recommend ( "I haven't missed a meal in 3-4 years"-Kris Gethin) don't stress over it just check the box as a learning curve and move on. Stay motivated have fun with it and try not to stress on the little things good luck with school and your physical transformations ADD ME! :)
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    However there has to be point where you decide if you let life define you or you stop making excuses and start defining your own life.

THIS!
  • LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am definitely in the same boat. I work 40+ hours a week and I'm taking 16 units between university and community college. It seems very hard to make time for cooking and exercising, so I've had to just do what I can do. I still eat some processed foods, but I am more careful about what they are. I like salads from fast food joints and I am careful about my choice in dressing. I park at the back of parking lots to get some extra exercise. Lately, I've been making more time for cooking and exercising, and I'm doing what I can.
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also work at the on-campus gym 13 hours a week so it's pretty darn easy to jump on a cardio machine for 30 mins after my shift if that's all I have time for.