Early morning exercisers...help a night owl out!

Options
For quite some time now, my schedule has really been in the way of me getting fit...I'm definitely a night owl, but I've toned that down enough to being in bed my 10:30pm during the week and usually on the weekends as well.

My problem is that I am NOT a morning person, and I can never seem to get up early enough to get my workout in. I always hit the snooze to the point where I'm going to be late for work if I don't get up (I typically have to be at work at 7 am, leave house at 6:40, some days it's 8am, leave house at 7:40). However, I also work LONG days, so when I get home around 8 or 9 at night, I'm so exhausted I barely have time to make a decent dinner (Thankfully, still live with my parents and I can usually adjust what they had for din to make it a bit healthier). Sometimes I don't even have time to walk the dog.

Main point: can anyone give me tips for making getting up to workout easier? How do you do it? (besides being a morning person, that won't help me!)

Thanks in advance for the help!
Jen

Replies

• victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What I started out doing was on the days I didnt work I would work out when I woke up so first it gets you used to working out first thing in the morning and you have the remainder of the day to relax without being too tired at work. Then I would set my alarm half hour earlier, then an hour earlier within no time I was at the proper time I needed to wake up and able to make it through the work day as well. Hope that helps.
  • Cmontgomery2010
    Options
    I am not a morning person either and recently started trying to work out in the morning before work. I use the 5 hour energy drinks first thing when my alarm goes off and then drink coffee on my way to my workout. I'm hoping in a couple of weeks my body will have adjusted and I won't need the 5 hour energy drinks anymore :)
  • jillh100
    Options
    suck it up. we all have the same 24 hrs in a day - it is how we choose to use them. less sleep initially... i guarantee you'll eventually start going to bed earlier if you get up an hour earlier each day. If you work that late, there is no way you will exercise after work.

Wouldn't You get up an hour earlier if you had to catch a plane to a fantastic vacation?? i know it is not quite the same but it kind of is. It is a choice.
    Finally, you have to have a plan about what you are going to do for exercise. because if you don't know, and your clothes are not set out and ready to go, it is much less likely you will follow thru with it. it is too hard to figure out when you first wake up.

I used to refuse to get out of bed before 7 a.m. slowly and painfully i worked my way back to 4:45 a.m. (over a 2 year period!) it is still not easy but you can do it. so, suck it up and just do it. no excuses.
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I put my alarm on the other side of the room. Then I tell myself that since I am out of bed I might as well stay out.
  • patabcn
    patabcn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Technically I'm a night owl, but I've learnt to love the mornings. Put the alarm clock on the other side of the room. Get up to do something you enjoy and really look forward to. I do yoga. The light in the morning is beautiful. There's silence. A good workout helps you to get you through the day. You'll be more energized and feel better (and happier). The endorfines kick in and you just feel awesome. And you start the day smiling. Maybe all this sounds a bit corny, but that's how I look forward to an earlybird start of the day :)