Emergency! About how many pounds to a pant size?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    May have been asked already - but why are you packing a month in advance?
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do you have any dresses you could pack instead? I only ask because I wear 99% dresses 1% pants and my dresses have gotten bigger on me but I know I would have gone down 2 pants sizes by now because I fit into the last pants I bought that were 3 sizes smaller than what I used to try on at the store lol.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    A range of sizes plus a couple belts.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    a bajillion
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It's usually 10 - 20lbs, depending where you carry your weight/how much you have to lose.

I am usually one of those 20 pound loss to a drop in clothing size people. :(
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    I used to live in China and I had a hard time finding pants. Thankfully I am more of a skirt kind of girl. I shopped at a lot of markets too and the sizes run reallllly small. And I am pretty little. However, you can still go to bigger chain stores and find clothing there that might work. Also, it depends where exactly you are going to in China. I lived in Jinan, which is the capital of Shandong province, but if you go to a city like Beijing or Shanghai you should be fine.
    I also had coworkers who relied on tailors. Some amazing work!
    If you have any questions let me know:) Feel free to add me as a friend. And enjoy China! I might be moving back in a month!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    True, it is not an Actual emergency, but also not just idle curiosity. Not sure anyone would have clicked on this without that.

I am not packing a month early. I am trying to determine if I can lose enough weight in time to buy new 10s that fit me. Hence the question of about how many pounds I had left to lose...

I will be living in an apartment on mainland china in Zhuhai about 3km from the Macau border and an hourish ferrey from Hong Kong. I will be on a per diem not on expenses, so spending the night in HK to have tailoring done is pretty much out of the question. Too expensive!

Dresses and skirts are also out of the question. I am an engineer and will be on a manufacturing line surrounded by men. It would not be very practical or appropriate for my work day. Otherwise, it would be a good option.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you on the needing pants thing. I work in engineering too, and feel out of place just putting makeup on around the guys, let alone dresses and skirts. And I won't walk into the shop with high heels on!

Unfortunately as you've seen in other posts, everyone is different...and it depends on where you're shedding the pounds. I started here around Memorial Day at around 240 (size 18...encroaching 20). I just hit 208, and I don't know my pant size. I've been putting off shopping because I don't want to find something cute I (hopefully) won't be wearing in 3 months. But...my pants are huge! I have to do something this weekend! Goodwill and Kohl's, here I come!

What I've decided to do for this major shopping trip is find things that fit (maybe a little tight) and wear them through until I drop at least 2 more pant sizes and then I can go on another huge shopping trip. I've been swimming in these 18s for the last couple months...I bet if you get things that fit you perfectly (or are a little tight) you will be able to get through your trip with what you get. Not sure how long your extended trip is, but that could probably last you a couple of weeks to a month. And you could always use belts!

If you're not a belt person (I am not!), you could wear stretchy tanks to compress the waist of the pants against you...it usually keeps the pants in their place for me. What is bugging me now is how huge the pant legs are around my thighs!

Anyway, have a great time and don't worry too much about it. I'm sure you'll be in 10s by then...but whatever you fit into the day you leave will probably suffice when you get back (even if they don't quite look the same!). Have a great time!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I remember watching Oprah one day and she said there was about a 10lb difference. I am the same size and height as you and I am shooting for a 10 lb loss to get back in my size 10s by Thanksgiving.

I must be weird. 20 lbs now and still wearing my 16's I was 20 lbs ago. Sure, they're a bit looser, but they stay up on my belly. It depends how you carry your weight, your height, all that jazz.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 lbs - actually a little over but it doesn't count until my weigh in day Friday. My clothes fit EXACTLY the same - not even the slightest bit looser. Everyone is different.

Maybe get some pants w/a little stretch to them that are more forgiving between sizes. I got some cute ones at Macys recently...
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I remember watching Oprah one day and she said there was about a 10lb difference. I am the same size and height as you and I am shooting for a 10 lb loss to get back in my size 10s by Thanksgiving.

That sounds pretty accurate. I have lost 26 lbs and went down two pants sizes almost in a third.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I am going on an extended business trip to China in one month, and I don't know which clothes to pack! They will probably not have my size, or at least not in the right length since I'm a foot taller than the average woman there. I'm 5'9.

I have lost 8lbs now and my size 12 jeans are a little loose, but my size 10s (my goal) are still too tight. I may have stretched out my size 12s though... Approximately how many pounds did you have to lose per size? If I end up a size 10, I need to buy more pants before I go since I only have 2 that are still in good shape, but I don't quite fit into them yet! HELP!

Just out of curiosity, does the amount of pounds change depending on the size? I mean is it more/less weight to go from say 22 to 20 then it is to go from 12 to 10?

Pack the smaller size and try to pair them with tops that are longer (slightly past your hips) and looser to cover any unsightly bits if the pants are still fitting a little snug. If your twelves are already loose, I'm betting that they'll be falling off you in a month. As someone else already said, it's likely that you'll be in the 10's by then anyway.
  • tracy1031
    Options
    Are you required to wear pants/suits? How about some nice stretchy jersey dresses? The pounds per size thing does all depend on where you carry your weight. I lost 25 pounds and went from a 12 to an 8; all my extra is in my tummy & waist.

Edit: nevermind, just scrolled up to your no skirts/dresses post :)