Eating at TDEE

Options
Will start eating at TDEE (2300) starting tomorrow and let's see what happens. I am very nervous but I hope it works! *fingers crossed*

Replies

• Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    are you trying to maintain? If so, good luck! If you're trying to lose weight than you want to eat at a deficit from your tdee. either way, good luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Will start eating at TDEE (2300) starting tomorrow and let's see what happens. I am very nervous but I hope it works! *fingers crossed*

When you say "I hope it works" what are you trying to do?
  • jet221
    Options

I've hit a plateau and need to change up my eating?
  • jet221
    Options
    are you trying to maintain? If so, good luck! If you're trying to lose weight than you want to eat at a deficit from your tdee. either way, good luck!

Still trying to lose between 10-12 lbs. I workout everyday (Run 3x a week, lift weights, nd yoga other times). How much should i be eating? Still not good at eating more...
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I would need to know more information about you to estimate how many calories you should be eating. However, based on what you did say you should have mfp set to lose .5 pounds a week and make sure to eat back at least most of your exercise calories. If you know your tdee then just either subtract a 10% -20% defict from your tdee and eat that amount of calories without eating your exercise calories back. These are suggestions as it takes some trial and error to find what formula works for you. Maybe you just need to change up your workout routine if it has been the same thing for a long time. Many reasons people plateu
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

How much are you eating currently? Generally drastic increases in caloric consumption (even if still under maintenance) will result in some initial, if only temporary, weight gain. If you're eating far less than 2300 and want to change your eating patterns I'd suggest increasing slowly rather than doing an all or nothing jump.
  • jet221
    Options

How much are you eating currently? Generally drastic increases in caloric consumption (even if still under maintenance) will result in some initial, if only temporary, weight gain. If you're eating far less than 2300 and want to change your eating patterns I'd suggest increasing slowly rather than doing an all or nothing jump.

Been eating 1200-1400 and have hit a plateau. Changed my goal to to eat 1840 a day (20% less my TDEE) is that the correct number? I'm going to give this a shot see if plateau breaks. Plan is to eat more protein and eating clean
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck without losing weight? That's an important question.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's hard to say. 2300 is just an estimate. It's a good starting point but you kind of have to work with it to get it right. As for jumping from 1300 to 1850 that's better than jumping to 2300, but it's still a pretty quick increase. Try increasing your average daily intake by 100 every one or two weeks until you get to 1850. See how you respond and how you feel and how your body reacts. Don't freak out over quick gains. If you eat 100 calories more per day and weigh 2 lbs heavier...the math doesn't work out that it's all fat. Give it time. I know it's rough to say that when you're at a stall and just want to get things moving, but it's (in my opinion of course) the best way to go about doing things.
  • jet221
    Options
    How long have you been stuck without losing weight? That's an important question.

About 3 months
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    you are definitely doing yourself a disservice by eating so little. how tall are you? how much do you weigh?
  • jet221
    Options
    you are definitely doing yourself a disservice by eating so little. how tall are you? how much do you weigh?
    5'1, 134
    Options
    5'1, 134

To put it in perspective--I'm 4'11 and ~105-110 pounds (somewhere around there) and TO LOSE I eat ~1500-1800 calories a day. I only workout 6 days a week for an hour and I am a student so rather sedentary. I know everyone is different but you can really wreak havoc on your hormones by having such a high deficit. How much have you already lost? I'd definitely say just adhere to 1800+ for a while (up to your TDEE). Then cut back after 4-6 weeks at maintenance or slightly below. Only shoot for a 250ish deficit when the time comes.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Bump for spreadsheet solution later with better TDEE estimator.

Current version just has normal activity levels still guessing at.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Ok, spreadsheet done with section for better estimating TDEE. Link in first message.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/732180-spreadsheet-improvement-on-activity-level-input-request?page=1#posts-10899238
  • jet221
    Options

Ok, spreadsheet done with section for better estimating TDEE. Link in first message.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/732180-spreadsheet-improvement-on-activity-level-input-request?page=1#posts-10899238

Thanks will check this out!
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I started eating at TDEE - 20% yesterday which is up from what I was doing before as well. It's making me nervous too, but so many people saying it works, can't be wrong, can they? Here's hoping we both end up having success stories and are able to support it as well.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    What kills me is if I eat at or more than the calories listed for me on MFP i do not lose. (1420). If I eat 1200 or less, I do, gradually, usually. I started at 285. lost about 22 pounds, stuck for almost 4.5 weeks at 261, started losing again and am now 2 weeks stuck at 247. I walk 1 to 2 miles every day and go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I eat 95% healthier now and log every oz I eat. I only lose if I do 1200 or less. Just please explain to me how eating more is a good thing? I have 82 pounds more fat to shed. (BTW: Iam 62, male, 5'9, arhtritis, and bi-polar prosteses in left hip/femur. I can not dead lift or run.)
    Options
    What kills me is if I eat at or more than the calories listed for me on MFP i do not lose. (1420). If I eat 1200 or less, I do, gradually, usually. I started at 285. lost about 22 pounds, stuck for almost 4.5 weeks at 261, started losing again and am now 2 weeks stuck at 247. I walk 1 to 2 miles every day and go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. I eat 95% healthier now and log every oz I eat. I only lose if I do 1200 or less. Just please explain to me how eating more is a good thing? I have 82 pounds more fat to shed. (BTW: Iam 62, male, 5'9, arhtritis, and bi-polar prosteses in left hip/femur. I can not dead lift or run.)

Lat pull downs, bicep curls, seated row..all great exercises. I cannot imagine a male, even your age, having to eat 1200 calories to lose. Have you gotten your hormones checked?