Exercising at night?

Options
Hey. I work long hours and try to do exercise everyday. The only time I manage it is between 8pm and 9pm and I go to bed at 10 (mostly to relax and read until 11). Is it bad to exercise so late at night? Or is it helpful to burn off my supper calories before bedtime?

I've read on other posts that its more beneficial to exercise first thing in morn as you burn more calories while reovering later in the morning.
Any gurus out there.

Replies

• Jesusfollower72
    Options
    I think if that's when you can workout, then that's a good time to work out.
    God bless,
    Karen
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm also a night exerciser. I think what is most important is that you are exercising. I know many people think it's more beneficial to work out in the morning and maybe that's the case, but regardless, any exercise is better than no exercise.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I would like to hear what everyone has to say about this also. I normally try to work out at night from 7:30 to 8:30 and I go to bed around 9:30. It is hard for me to get up in the morning and exercise because I am already getting up at 5:00 to get ready for work. I tried for awhile to get up at 4:00 every morning but I gave up after awhile.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can't fit in my workout until after 8 either. I don't know if that's a bad thing but boy, do I ever sleep well on those nights!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    nothing really wrong with exercising at night, especially if it's night or nothing. There are very minor advantages to exercising in the morning, but really, they are extremely minor and not worth changing your routine for.
  • ghostdivatonya
    ghostdivatonya Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work out at night at well. Same time frame!

I'm NOT a morning person. I also get to eat my calories for the day and work off as much as possible.
    It's just easier for me :)
  • jimmyh
    Options
    work out when it is a good time for you. morning is great if you like getting up early. evening is just as fine, though a pain because the Gym tends to be so packed....Personally I work out at 11pm till about 1AM though my schedule permits that. anyhow just exercise when you can, because no matter what time you will feel great after :)
  • jlschaef
    jlschaef Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I definately only have time to exercise at night, and I find that I get a better night's sleep out of it. I also like to do it at night so I know how many calories I have had total after excercise, without eating any exercise calories. That is just what I prefer.
  • katdesch
    katdesch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I read that people who work out in the morning have a better success rate because they tend to stick to it due to a routine in the morning. And that the most optimal time to work out is around the dinner hour...5pm-6pm. The only reason "they" say not to work out too close to bedtime is that it can possibly keep you from going to sleep when you need to. Exercise has a tendency to wake you up. I personally don't have that problem nor do alot of other people, a good workout can really tire you out! :) But I agree with the others... workout whenever you can...it's better than no work out at all...no argument there!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I read that people who work out in the morning have a better success rate because they tend to stick to it due to a routine in the morning. And that the most optimal time to work out is around the dinner hour...5pm-6pm. The only reason "they" say not to work out too close to bedtime is that it can possibly keep you from going to sleep when you need to. Exercise has a tendency to wake you up. I personally don't have that problem nor do alot of other people, a good workout can really tire you out! :) But I agree with the others... workout whenever you can...it's better than no work out at all...no argument there!

I quit caring what the ubiquitous "they" said a long time ago. If you are motivated to excercise you will, and if you're not, you won't.

Just do what you need to do, and what fits your schedule. Like others have said, any exciercise is better than no excercise.
  • RMakar
    Options
    I workout at night to keep my metabolism up overnight!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    In reading a billion gajillion articles about when to work out, I am sure we all have over the course of our adult lives, the gist I get when "they" say to work out in the morning, is that it gets it out of the way. Done deal. Already taken care of, don't have to worry abuot it. And there might be something to getting more energy from it, I don't know.

I get up at 5:45 and there is no way in hell I am willing to give up another hour of precious sleep just to exercise and get it out of the way in the morning.

I say, work out when you can and when you WANT to. Because lets face it. If you don't want to work out, you have potential to not do as good a job. Do it when you can and want.
  • melanieann48111
    Options

I quit caring what the ubiquitous "they" said a long time ago. If you are motivated to excercise you will, and if you're not, you won't.

Just do what you need to do, and what fits your schedule. Like others have said, any exciercise is better than no excercise.

Agreed! I am a miserable morning person no matter how long I try to get "used" to waking up early and exercising. It's hard during the winter for me to avoid being lazy and not working out at all BUT during the summer I love coming home and getting a good workout in and then sitting out on the back deck. *sigh*
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    my husband actually read an article and it said that best time to exercise is in the afternoon. Something about blood flow etc...
    Shockingly the morning was not the best time to do it. I'll have to ask him which article it was.
    I also tend to do it in the evenings. Just works out that way better.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    nothing really wrong with exercising at night, especially if it's night or nothing. There are very minor advantages to exercising in the morning, but really, they are extremely minor and not worth changing your routine for.

I concur. ANY time is the right time!

Some people have problems falling asleep if they work out too late but I've never experienced this. I'm usually exhausted from the workout and pass right out. :laugh:
  • loopylu
    Options
    thanks for your opinions folks! Looks like I'll keep going on my current schedule when I'm enjoying it rather than forcing myself in the morning and being miserable.

Good luck to everyone else regardless of what tim eyou go for it! :D