I know nothing (but I act like I'm an expert). Help!

Options
Since most of you only read subject lines, I thought this would be eye catching. It's true though, because I have seen some amazing results, I've been touting it on here like I'm some nutrition expert (but I'm not).

So let's have it folks, where can I find (legit) nutrition advice? Seems like the internet is filled with propaganda, agendas, alarmism, bias, personal beliefs, and fad diets; how do I find THE FACTS? What are the facts?

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Things I've learned:

1) Eat less than you burn but over your BMR
    2) Eat clean foods that you prepare yourself and that contains low sugar, low sodium, no preservatives, and no food allergies/sensitivities.
    3) Limit Saturated fats and balance your unsaturated ones 1:1.
    4) Cholesterol isn't a concern for everyone but you can play it safe and watch it anyways.
    5) Fruit sugar is the same as any other sugar; the only reason fruit is acceptable is because of the vitamins.
    6) Starches are nothing but complex sugars, so avoid too much complex carbs as that will cause fat retention too.
    7) Not all proteins are complete (though I don't know how to pair it to make the incomplete ones complete).
    8) Eating at or below 1500 for a man is going to screw up a man's metabolism. Same for women but at 1200.
    9) I'm not an expert and I need to stop acting like I am or else my HSP will be trampled on and people will be mean to me.
  • madmish00
    Options
    Things I've learned:

1) Eat less than you burn but over your BMR
    2) Eat clean foods that you prepare yourself and that contains low sugar, low sodium, no preservatives, and no food allergies/sensitivities.
    3) Limit Saturated fats and balance your unsaturated ones 1:1.
    4) Cholesterol isn't a concern for everyone but you can play it safe and watch it anyways.
    5) Fruit sugar is the same as any other sugar; the only reason fruit is acceptable is because of the vitamins.
    6) Starches are nothing but complex sugars, so avoid too much complex carbs as that will cause fat retention too.
    7) Not all proteins are complete (though I don't know how to pair it to make the incomplete ones complete).
    8) Eating at or below 1500 for a man is going to screw up a man's metabolism. Same for women but at 1200.
    9) I'm not an expert and I need to stop acting like I am or else my HSP will be trampled on and people will be mean to me.
    Ooh playing expert is fun!

What do you mean by balance unsaturated fats 1:1? Are you talking poly vs mono and if so where have you come across that? Not saying it is in anyway incorrect but no something I have heard before.

As for protein combining any incomplete protein has a 'limiting' amino acid so should be eaten alongside a protein which is abundant in that amino acid. Wheat and rice proteins are comparatively low in lysine but better sources of methionine whereas beans and pulses are relatively high in lysine yet in lower methionine.

Carbs they are all broken down into sugars eventually and can all be stored as fat however if you are eating within your calories complex carbs are not necessarily to be avoided but it can work for some people. Personally I need my carbs but I am extremely active and they have no impact on my weight.

Fruit is also acceptable for its fibre content
  • madmish00
    Options
    So let's have it folks, where can I find (legit) nutrition advice? Seems like the internet is filled with propaganda, agendas, alarmism, bias, personal beliefs, and fad diets; how do I find THE FACTS? What are the facts?

As for this bit. Lots of studies on Pub Med that are very helpful but you have to consider sample sizes and methodology to determine how much weight to attach to them. After that you're on your own! :noway:
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The problem is that not even experts can agree on what the facts are….so there really is nowhere to find legit nutrition advice. You would think that doctors would be the best source, but there are constantly conflicting studies released by various doctors.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The problem is that not even experts can agree on what the facts are….so there really is nowhere to find legit nutrition advice. You would think that doctors would be the best source, but there are constantly conflicting studies released by various doctors.

So essentially, no one knows how the body works outside of body building? That's not reassuring. How do the people with anxiety about diseases and malnutrition (like me) sleep at night not knowing the rules to follow to stay healthy?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

So essentially, no one knows how the body works outside of body building? That's not reassuring. How do the people with anxiety about diseases and malnutrition (like me) sleep at night not knowing the rules to follow to stay healthy?

I think in the end you just have to do what works for you.... One guy lost weight eating nothing but things you buy from a convience store and a multivitamin... just buy staying within his recommended caloric intake... I'm sure you have heard of the Twinkie diet, if not, I encourage you to google it... it's an interesting read... But we all know that isn't exactly healthy nor desirable... One sized fits all health advise will almost always conflict because we don't have one sized fits all genes.... while you may be allergic/sensitive to gluten... I am not. So what works for me most likely won't work for you.... you may not have heart disease in your family.... but I do, so I have to watch the sodium and the cholestorals.