Frusterated! ...What am I doing wrong?

Options
I haven't been on MFP all that long but have been on the dieting roller coaster all my life. This past June I made a committment to get in shape, drop the 40 lbs, lower my cholesterol etc. June I hit the gym and started walking...ate to little and didn't lose. Started eating more, still going to gym 5 days a week (weights) and walk/jog 5 km everyday (still no lose to speak of). I joined MFP started logging food and excersice eating excercise calories...was not losing so stopped eating excercise cals....still not losing!!! This is why I am frusterated....I can't figure out what to do...I am still committed....but it would be nice to see some results on the scale. I am noticing some difference in my clothes, but not much on the scale (which I quit getting on because it pissed me off). I feel for the effort I am putting forth I should have more results....I am not asking for a quick fix, but want to know what I am doing wrong cause obviously I am doing something wrong!!!! I try to log everything...my diary is open....I know my days aren't perfect, but this is the most committed I have ever been. I work in an office so I need the amount of excersice.
Suggestions?

Replies

• juliebeesd
    Options
    Have you tried measuring yourself? If you're noticing a difference in how clothes fit, then you must be making a difference.

I know how frustrating it can be when you know you've worked very hard, and the numbers on the scale don't budge.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    can i say that maybe more veg is a start. a third of what you eat should be veg.
    The eatwell plate shows the different types of food we need to eat – and in what proportions – to have a well balanced and healthy diet.

View a larger version of the eatwell plate (PDF, 120kb)

It's a good idea to try to get this balance right every day, but you don't need to do it at every meal. And you might find it easier to get the balance right over a longer period, say a week.

Eating healthily is about about eating the right amount of food for your energy needs. In England, most adults are either overweight or obese. This means many of us are eating more than we need, and should eat and drink fewer calories in order to lose weight.

Based on the eatwell plate, you should try to eat:

Plenty of fruit and vegetables
    Did you know that we should be eating at least five portions of a variety of fruit and veg every day.
    More on five daily portions of fruit and veg

Plenty of potatoes, bread, rice, pasta
    and other starchy foods
    Choose wholegrain varieties whenever you can.
    More on starchy foods

Some milk and dairy foods
    More on milk and dairy foods

Some meat, fish, eggs, beans
    and other non-dairy sources of protein
    More on meat
    More on eggs
    More on beans and pulses

Just a small amount of foods and drinks
    high in fat and/or sugar
    More on fat
    More on sugar

Try to choose options that are lower in salt when you can.
    More on salt
    Is the eatwell plate for me?

The eatwell plate applies to most people – whether they're a healthy weight or overweight, whether they eat meat or are vegetarian, and no matter what their ethnic origin.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    Options
    IF U HVNT FIGURED OUT UR CALORIC INTAKE 2 LOSE WEIGHT
    THEN IT WNT WORK BY JUX EATING MORE BCZ U NEED 2 KNOW
    EXACTLY HOW MUCH. TAKE UR MAINTENANCE CALS WHICH IS
    WAT MFP PUT U AT WHEN U PUT N UR INFO THEN SUBTRACT
    20 PERCENT FROM DAT NUMBER OR 500 CALS WHICHEVER WORKS
    BEST FOR U ND EAT UR EXERCISE CALS BACK IF U R EXERCISING
    2 MUCH OF A DEFICIT ND UR BODY STOPS LOSING WEIGHT
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    -First Calculate your TDEE (Fat 2 Fit Radio website, calculate BMR and then numbers on bottom of screen show your TDEE based on activity level)
    -Determine how much you want to lose a week
    -250 calories less a day than TDEE = 0.5 lbs a week loss, -500 a day = 1 lb loss
    -Once this has been determined, go back to MFP and adjust daily calorie goal based on objective as noted above
    -Don't eat back exercise calories as this has already been figured in

You can play around with protein,fat and carb numbers but at the end of the day it's calories in versus calories out....just make sure to get a decent amount of protein (0.80-1 gram per lb of lean body mass), shoot for 35% of your calories to come from fats (majority should be monounsaturated, polyunsaturated although saturated fats are fine as long as you don't go crazy.....no trans fats) and fill the remainder in with carbs.

-Lift 3 days a week heavy (See Stronglifts, The New Rules of Lifting for Women)
    -Add in 20-30 minutes of cardio 2-3 days a week (Not necessary but will help create deficit)

Continue doing this forever. Update daily calorie allowance once you've reached goal to equal TDEE.
  • pattysanderson71
    pattysanderson71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I am going to check out your suggestions jones137!!