Pretty Jazzed...

Options
So, I'm a 47 year old guy, dashingly handsome, funny, and intelligent, but I was overweight. I hated looking at photos of myself lounging poolside last summer.

On January 4th, I weighed in at my heaviest; 267 pounds.

I weighed in on January 18th, and I was 259 pounds.

I weighed in this morning, and I'm down to 252 pounds; double digit loss!

In all honesty, I didn't think I would stick with this. I try to get the meal tracker as accurate as I can, but sometimes things just aren't in the database, and I have no idea how many calories are in one (or, okay, four) of my daugter's chocolate chip cookies.

I decided to just cut calories. That just seems the most basic way to go about losing weight. I thought I would go nuts without my biscuits & gravy (I mean, you know, COME ON!) or my breakfast burritos, but the truth of the matter is that, while I miss them, I easily get through the day without them.

My breakfast now consists of two bowls of Wheaties with some 1% milk. Lunch is usually a turkey and Swiss on low-cal wheat, and I keep a bowl of baby carrots on my desk for snacking instead of getting up to go to the snack machine. Dinner consists of whatever my wife and daughter whip up (they're also on this train).

I know I'm eating well, I rarely feel hungry during the day, and I'm losing weight.

And, to be absolutely honest, I don't think I'd have logged a 15 pound loss without this website. It keeps me motivated, as if it's a challenge to hit that calorie goal every day. My wife's grown sick of me counting off the number of calories I have left to go in a day, but even she sees the benefit of me using this website.

So, whoever decided to dream this place up, kudos, and thanks...

Steve

Replies

• emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Way to go. My numbers were pretty close to yours. Take the camera and start going hiking out in nature not only are you exercising but you might come back with some good photos. That lens looks pretty heavy so your hiking will count extra.:smile:
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congrats! ...your post made me think about how I felt when I first gave up all the fatty food....you think your gonna miss it but in reality its just food! Theres so much more to life!:flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on how great you're doing Steve! :flowerforyou: Keep it up, and before you know it, you will have lost all the weight that you wanted to! :smile:
    MFP IS pretty fantastic, isn't it?! :love: I NEVER plan to leave. :noway: It's changed my life soooo much for the better, as I'm sure its done for countless others too! :bigsmile:
  • Steve1962
    Options
    You know, ideally, I'd like to get to the point where I don't feel compelled to log in my intake every day. I don't mean that as a bad thing, just that I'd like this to turn into such a lifestyle change where I can maintain my goal weight (around 225-230) without thinking about it.

But, yeah, I don't think I'd have dropped those 15 pounds without being able to keep track of my food here...
  • cvtga
    cvtga Posts: 118
    Options
    I am so happy for you Steve. It is always great to hear that you have family support. I stumbled upon this website myself at the beginning of January and have found it to be a useful tool, but I understand what you mean about one day just being able to make good food choices, watch portion size and not have to count cals. But for now we are students in class, and perhaps one day we will hold a masters in health. Congrats on your success.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!