New to this program

Options
Hi, my name is Sarah, and I started using myfitnesspal.com last week. I am trying to lose weight so that I can be healthier, feel better about myself, and be able to fit in my smaller clothes.

Replies

• nosbig
    Options
    Hi Sarah, I'm Lynn and it sounds like we have the same goals. Live healthier, longer and fit into my smaller clothes!
    I just began the program this morning and am hopeful. Good luck to you!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Welcome to both of you Sarah and Lynn!!!
    Try not to think of this as a "program" but as a lifestyle change. A "program" has an end. A healthier lifestyle does not.

Good luck and shed those pounds!!!
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome ladies!

I've been here about a month and have had some success. Which is a great feeling! It's a slow and steady race following the guidelines, but it will help you reach that most important goal. HEALTH! Good-luck!!!
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I am also new to this program as of today! I posted something earlier, but as I am also new to all this posting stuff, I am not sure if it went through. Here's my question: I did my nutritional profile and it told me I should have 1900 calories a day with an exercise calorie deficit of 500 - do I eat 1900 calories and work off 500? Or do I eat 1400 and then exercise. After years of dieting and exercising, my hubby tells me I am not eating enough.
    This is a wonderful site!!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP and gooooood luck on your weight loss journey
  • spaniel
    spaniel Posts: 468
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on your weight loss. Love the dolphin pic...
  • mromnek
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I am also new to this program as of today! I posted something earlier, but as I am also new to all this posting stuff, I am not sure if it went through. Here's my question: I did my nutritional profile and it told me I should have 1900 calories a day with an exercise calorie deficit of 500 - do I eat 1900 calories and work off 500? Or do I eat 1400 and then exercise. After years of dieting and exercising, my hubby tells me I am not eating enough.
    This is a wonderful site!!

Spaniel,
    You will want to eat the 1900 calories is says. The 500 calorie deficit is part of the calculation (1 lb a week weight loss) that MFP uses. You want to eat as close to or just over every calorie that MFP says to eat... including any calories you "earn" through exercise.

There is a tremendous thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

I recommend anyone serious about understanding their weight loss read this post.
  • rockwife
    Options
    Hi, I have similar goals and found this site just yesterday.
    Was gung ho to exercise today to take advantage of another"snow day"
    and it seems I've strained my lower back. Yet one more reason to drop the pounds.
    Glad the ice pack was already frozen! I'm icing now and not giving up.
  • mromnek
    Options
    Rockwife... don't let the injury discourage you. Keep working on the weight loss, you will love yourself for it!!!
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you can stick to the set amount of calories, work out and drink a lot of water you'll get results...its actually impossible not to! This place its great ...so many supportive people! Welcome and good luck!:flowerforyou: