Does your geographic location affect your nutrition?:

Options
I live in Northern NH. Like, really north (30 minutes or so from Mt. Washington) and I only have so many options for groceries. I can either go to Wal-Mart where things are cheap, mass-produced and over-processed, not to mention they don't always carry what I'm in search of. OR I can go to the local IGA (yes, they do still exist!) where the produce selection is limited, and extremely overpriced because it is a small, family owned business.

I really want to be able to expand what I eat, because I'm such a picky eater. But I am finding that being able to buy organic/natural/healthy foods is near impossible without either: A.) spending a small fortune (How did I manage to drop $150 on 4 items at Walk-Mart?!?!?!) OR B.) Drive 1 hour south to the nearest Hannaford (and soon to have a Market Basket).

Am I alone, or do others have this issue as well? It is so frustrating!!!!!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't buy it. You don't need a local Whole Foods to eat healthy. Frozen vegetables and fruit are as good as fresh, they are cheap, and they are available at every grocery store, organic isn't necessary. There really is no excuse to eat crap food. The healthy stuff is available for everyone, provided 1. you know what to do with it to make it taste good and 2. are willing to buy it over packaged/boxed foods.

Also, I live in New England as well. In the summer I do a CSA with a local farm, as well as growing some of my own, and try to put up as much stuff as I can when veg and fruit is in season. I cook down tomatoes for sauce or freeze them. Can stuff, pickle it, make fruit conserves...there is a ton of stuff you can do. Also, some veg keeps well for a long time in cool dry places, like beets, winter squash, carrots, potatoes, onions, etc.

It comes down to priorities.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I lived in northern Canada for 2 years (Northwest Territories), where we had to have fresh fruits and veggies flown in part of the year, and I was able to eat healthy....yup, you might have to pay a bit more. But isn't it worth it...?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would spend the extra to shop at IGA for produce and meats and staple items.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1) Organic isn't always better.
    2) Being a picky eater is not the fault of the location or the grocery stores (speaking as a picky eater).
    3) Healthy is whatever fits in your calorie/macro goals (and lines up with any dietary/health concerns you may have) - don't buy into all the media crap about what is or isn't healthy.

Worry less, eat more, be happy.
  • kehuizenga
    Options
    I don't really care if my food is organic or not, but I do prefer to purchase mostly raw ingredients rather than too many processed foods (although I do buy pre-cooked chicken to put in my salad for lunch and microwave oatmeal). I am lucky that I live in a pretty nice area in Chicago and have a Jewel, Whole Foods, WalMart Express, and a locally owned grocer all within walking distance of my apartment. There is also a Trader Joe's that would be quite a walk (over 1/2 mile) and one that is just a couple blocks from my office. I don't know if living somewhere else would really hinder my nutrition, but I would say that having lots of options close makes it easier. I like to shop at the locally-owned grocer, but if they are out of something I can just walk about 1/2 a block to Jewel and get it there.

I also will add, I think it would be a little easier if I lived somewhere where I could just drive for 5 min to the grocery store and load up on items and bring them back to my large suburban sized fridge. But I guess I get more exercise lugging my groceries and going 2-3 times per week.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    there is tons of options for buying here in the buffalo ny area .. especially this time of year there are a lot of farmers markets with fresh veggies and fruit.. aside from that there are a load of different markets to buy meats at a much lower price than most grocery stores if you buy in bulk. im very lucky to have the shopping choices here. ive traveled abroad and know that most of these places are not available in other parts of the usa
  • Britt_Duffy
    Britt_Duffy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't buy it. You don't need a local Whole Foods to eat healthy. Frozen vegetables and fruit are as good as fresh, they are cheap, and they are available at every grocery store, organic isn't necessary. There really is no excuse to eat crap food. The healthy stuff is available for everyone, provided 1. you know what to do with it to make it taste good and 2. are willing to buy it over packaged/boxed foods.

Also, I live in New England as well. In the summer I do a CSA with a local farm, as well as growing some of my own, and try to put up as much stuff as I can when veg and fruit is in season. I cook down tomatoes for sauce or freeze them. Can stuff, pickle it, make fruit conserves...there is a ton of stuff you can do. Also, some veg keeps well for a long time in cool dry places, like beets, winter squash, carrots, potatoes, onions, etc.

It may be cheap where you are, but in my region, with gas being almost $4.00 per gallon, and living more than an hour from the nearest interstate, prices, even at wal-mart are NOT cheap. Not only that, but the brands that are sold are not always what I'm looking for. I'm talking a bag of fresh cherries (when they were in season) were something like $5.00 per pound! To me, that's excessive, especially while on a budget. Unfortunately the farmer's market in town takes place every thursday while I'm in class, so I can't make it there (though its not totally a farmer's market, its considered a "local works market" so its not just food, its lots of stuff). I would be absolutely willing to contribute to local area businesses/farmers, if I were able to magically change my class schedule, but that's just not possible.

I'm slightly insulted that you called into question my priorities. I attend college full time (18 credits) work for the local school district part time and waitress as well. The fact that I'm on here SEEKING for others in the same geographic restricted situation as I am, I thought showed some dedication and priority for my desire to eat healthy.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

It may be cheap where you are, but in my region, with gas being almost $4.00 per gallon, and living more than an hour from the nearest interstate, prices, even at wal-mart are NOT cheap. Not only that, but the brands that are sold are not always what I'm looking for. I'm talking a bag of fresh cherries (when they were in season) were something like $5.00 per pound! To me, that's excessive, especially while on a budget. Unfortunately the farmer's market in town takes place every thursday while I'm in class, so I can't make it there (though its not totally a farmer's market, its considered a "local works market" so its not just food, its lots of stuff). I would be absolutely willing to contribute to local area businesses/farmers, if I were able to magically change my class schedule, but that's just not possible.

I'm slightly insulted that you called into question my priorities. I attend college full time (18 credits) work for the local school district part time and waitress as well. The fact that I'm on here SEEKING for others in the same geographic restricted situation as I am, I thought showed some dedication and priority for my desire to eat healthy.

Everything is a compromise. Spend the money on gas so you can drive to a better/cheaper supermarket, or don't and pay higher prices locally.

At some point you have to own your circumstance - you live in the middle of no where, you're in school, and you're on a budget. Not everything is going to be easy or work the way you want. Either make the commitment or don't.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of the market base rather than geographic location... or at least both... I know where I live we have a TON of grocery stores. Just the chains within a 3-5 mile radius of my home includes Walmart (including their grocery chain), Target, Safeway, Kroger, Aldi, and Albertsons.... within 20 miles we have a Whole Foods, Central Market (HEB chain), and I believe an HEB.... this is not to even mention the other grocery chains that cater to specific ethnicities (like Hispanics or Vietnamese) and all of the Farmers Markets that are around... I believe there is even an option for a CSA as well...

If you can't find decent, healthy food for a decent price (if not cheap) then you are just not looking hard enough.... However, if I go to where I grow up, there is pretty much Walmart and a small regional chain... If you drive the nearest major city you might get a Target, and maybe a whole foods like store.... but the prices aren't that much different, even though there is by far less compitition where my parents are... and you would be hard pressed to find a farmers market or CSA.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I can either go to Wal-Mart where things are cheap, mass-produced and over-processed, not to mention they don't always carry what I'm in search of.

Do Wal-Mart not sell fruit and veg and meat and fish and nuts and pulses and rice and that sort of thing? Just curious, because I shop at Asda, which is a British division of Wal-Mart, and while it's cheap and sells a lot of mass-produced processed food, it also sells the basics - fruit, veg, meat, etc.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is always going to be some give and take based on prices... since you priced cherries, here (and gas is around $3.60 right now) they are about $4 a pound. Since that is the example you gave, it's not that much more than what I am paying in my grocery store dense area 5 minutes from a highway... and we are a major metro area.

Perhaps, you can carpool with another person (to help save on gas) to drive the longer distance for groceries... that way the gas won't be so bad, and you can take advantage of the better deals at least for the more shelf-stable things.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    OR B.) Drive 1 hour south to the nearest Hannaford (and soon to have a Market Basket).

Well, I don't know what Hannaford is, but is it in a place which is nice and where you can make a day of it? One hour doesn't seem so terrible to me - I walk to work and it takes me just over an hour. And when I have a day off work, I sometimes take an hour-long bus-ride to a neighbouring market town, and I spent a few hours there, because it's nice. I walk through the park, I go to a cafe which does lovely coffee, and I sit and drink coffee and eat a sandwich and read, and then I go to the food shops, because it's nice to buy local meats from a butcher, and specialty cheeses. I could easily do that once a week if I wanted, on Saturdays, but I'm also happy to shop at the local Asda.
  • treechic93
    treechic93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think your geographic location can have an impact on your healthy eating but only if you let it. I live in a small town in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and I'm 65 miles from Walmart and 101 miles from the closest "health food" store with quality organic ingredients and I have two small grocery stores - and IGA and a SuperValue in my town. Like anything else, if you want it bad enough you find a way to make it work so I do a couple of key things. 1. I grow my own veggie garden. 2. I save up money and buy large quantities of the key healthful ingredients when I am able to travel out of town. If growing your own garden won't work I suggest your local farmers market or a CSA or even talking to a neighbor who grows a big garden and asking if you can purchase their surplus. Learn to can/preserve stuff at it's peak of freshness. Our window of opportunity to get really good stuff living up north is limited so you gotta strike while the iron is hot! Also - develop your list of what you know you want on hand and designate a cupboard with enough space to stock up so when you are out of town you can buy extra. Even if you can only freeze stuff, learn to do it the right way to capture lots of nutrients. If you can only afford to buy what your local store has, get frozen fruits and veggies because they have more nutrients than canned.

I see you mentioned below that the Farmers Market is held during your class - contact the market master (leader) and get a list of the sellers and contact them separately. They (we) all sell on the side and many will even deliver. I do! A couple of phone calls and you may strike gold. I can't sell at my market because of my work schedule but I get calls from people who know me and will buy from me that way and if they live in my small town I even deliver. Good luck - I commend you for working and going to college and making your health a priority. It takes a bit of extra work at the beginning to find the food you want but it's worth it in the end! :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Yes. I go to school in the central valley and have friends that work on farms. Hello free veggies! I eat healthier there.
  • Britt_Duffy
    Options
    I can either go to Wal-Mart where things are cheap, mass-produced and over-processed, not to mention they don't always carry what I'm in search of.

Do Wal-Mart not sell fruit and veg and meat and fish and nuts and pulses and rice and that sort of thing? Just curious, because I shop at Asda, which is a British division of Wal-Mart, and while it's cheap and sells a lot of mass-produced processed food, it also sells the basics - fruit, veg, meat, etc.

Yes they do sell the basics. But as an example, one week I was looking for bell peppers, and there were NONE. Not a single one in the entire store! How does a grocery store NOT have bell peppers?!
  • Britt_Duffy
    Options
    I see you mentioned below that the Farmers Market is held during your class - contact the market master (leader) and get a list of the sellers and contact them separately. They (we) all sell on the side and many will even deliver. I do! A couple of phone calls and you may strike gold. I can't sell at my market because of my work schedule but I get calls from people who know me and will buy from me that way and if they live in my small town I even deliver. Good luck - I commend you for working and going to college and making your health a priority. It takes a bit of extra work at the beginning to find the food you want but it's worth it in the end! :)

THIS is the exact type of advice I was looking for! THANK YOU! I'll see what I can find out!

One thing I've been constantly looking for, and cannot find (in either local food store option) is fresh kale. I wanted to make kale chips because a friend gave me a recipe, and I can't find it within a 30 minute drive!

And the one hour drive doesn't sound bad (and an hour isn't, in theory), but I live in moose country, and to get to the other grocery stores, I have to drive through the "notch", which is something I REALLY try to avoid, since moose and bear and deer are plentiful in that area.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You can shop at Hell-Mart and do ok. Just stick to the outer rim of the food section: meat produce, & dairy.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Geographic location has changed my families life.

First it has gotten rid of 99% of my husband and 9 year olds migraines. Both are off all daily migraine medications. My daughter has gone from 18 migraines a month...to one since June 1.

It has changed my life because I now want to lose weight. I never cared before. Now I can go for a nice long walk on the beach (year round) and no longer have to worry about snow/ice/cold weather. We also get freah fruits here that taste SOO much better! My daughter had a peach shortly after we moved here, and didn't know what it was even though she has had peaches her whole life.....
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    interesting question, and i think it does to some extent. i'm in england, and from the north. historically the north was (and still is) poorer so people used to eat really carb-y foods so that they were full with less food (like, some families used to make people eat a yorkshire pudding before they were allowed their main meal because it meant you wouldn't eat as much).

I suppose they get passed down in family recipes- we still have bread with left-over gravy after a roast dinner for pudding, for instance! I never thought about it until i went to uni and met loads of people from the south. i couldn't believe how much salad they ate (and who knew there was such a thing as rocket?) and they were shocked at the idea of chips and gravy, or eating pies quite often, and the number of greggs and pasty shops!

I was always considered to eat quite healthily in the north but now, trying to lose a few pounds, i dread visiting family for the weekend (although i still live in the north) because the idea of toast or cereal for breakfast, sandwiches or pie for dinner, and something with beans and potato for tea with biscuits and cake for snacks throughout the day seems soooo unhealthy. i still like all this foods, just limit them to max. one meal a day now.
  • cawmacomber
    Options
    Yes they do sell the basics. But as an example, one week I was looking for bell peppers, and there were NONE. Not a single one in the entire store! How does a grocery store NOT have bell peppers?!

By way of spoilage before all were sold, or a recall - that is how a grocery store does not have basic veggies or fruits. Our WalMart has had 2 or 3 cucumber recalls in the past few years.

If you truly are serious about what you want, you will find a way to do it. I have, in the past, driven 1/2 hour or more to a grocery store purely for quality and safety (cost doesn't matter when these two are concerned).

Where I grew up, there were 4 locally owned grocery stores - all over 20 mins away in opposite directions. My mom would read the ads, then hit 2 or more each payday. I also grew up eating a lot of the only (in my opinion) organic foods there are - 3 shared gardens, fruit trees, shared pork, beef, chickens, turkeys, eggs, milk, plus venison, fish and more. Summer and fall was all about harvesting the gardens and canning, pickling, freezing and preserving. It was great...you knew how the food was tended, where it came from and how it was put up. I can't wait till we finally put our house on the market and get a place where I can start doing this for my family.