Butter those Noodles..

Options
JenG_2011
JenG_2011 Posts: 79 Member
I'm a mom that needs to be on MFP to lose that pesky baby weight that's been on for too long. I have 2 little boys (3 & 4 years old). They both are borderline too skinny according to my pediatrician and also according to her, I could stand to "butter their noodles". Honestly, I do feed them all the time, but they are both super picky eaters and really only want to eat breakfast and snack foods. The 3 year old has decided on his own to become a vegetarian (not out of principle, but just doesn't like the taste of meat anymore) and now the 4 year old has decided that he's allergic to anything green (except money) and will make himself throw up before eating anything like green beans or broccoli. SOOOOOO... I'm wondering if anyone has any great KID-FRIENDLY, but healthy recipes they'd like to share where the whole family can eat and I can add on a little something for the skinny ones.

Replies

• emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind for me is peanut butter, kids love it and it is high calorie (and full of other good nutrients)
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Would they eat whole wheat pasta?It has a decent amount of calories but it can also have some valuable nutrients.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Could pop the peanut butter on to fruit like apples or bananas!

You could try pasta with a simple tomato sauce but blitz some peppers, onions in to the sauce so it's smooth.

How're they with helping to prepare the meals? I read somewhere that getting them involved in the food prep could help them want to try and eat it more? Homemade pizzas on tortilla wraps could be a fun thing for them :-)
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Do they like mashed potatoes? You could give them mashed califlower with the potatoes they would never know. They would be getting veggies too !
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    if they like breakfast keep cooking that, doesn't matter what time of day! keep trying new veggies and fruit. good luck! this too shall pass and they will eat constantly when they are teens!
  • Jbadiam
    Jbadiam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sometime ago Rachel Ray had on her show kids that don't like veggies. I thought a great idea that some parents are doing and I tried it also. Cook the veggies and then blend them and add to foods like spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, soups etc. but not so much that it would change the color. My boys never even picked up on the veggies had been added.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If they'll eat tomato sauce with their pasta, you can sneak all kinds of pureed veggies into it without them ever knowing, Carrots, red peppers, zucchini can all hide extremely well. You might even be able to puree some cooked ground beef or chicken into the sauce as well. How about little meatballs?
  • JenG_2011
    JenG_2011 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You all are AMAZING!! Thanks so much for all of the ideas. Stocking up on peanut butter and veggies to puree into something. These are most excellent ideas!!! You mommas rock!

Also, great idea about getting them into the kitchen to prep. I've been that overly cautious mom in the past where I was afraid they'd hurt themselves in the kitchen, but they are growing up.. 3 and 4 could be a good age to start helping with the prep. :)
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I made lasagna the other night but I replaced the noodles with zucchini. My son never knew and even asked for a second helping. Sometimes moms have to be sneaky to get kids to eat vegetables.
  • huuxue
    Options
    sweet potato pancakes
    avocado chocolate pudding
    zucchini muffins ;)
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    One of my kids' most FAVORITE things to eat for breakfast:

Pumpkin Muffins:

1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
    1 box Spice Cake mix

Combine the two--(it'll take a while, but keep stirring)

Line a cupcake/muffin pan with liners (or use non-stick spray) bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

SO EASY, and SO YUMMY!!!!!!

They'll love them.
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When my son was in that age range me basically didn't eat meat, well except for the finest cuts, like bacon, sausage and chicken nuggets. We did get him to eat edamame beans, which we buy shelled and frozen and heat up and slather with butter and pepper. They are a great source of protein and a very mild, nutty flavor. Now he really eats a variety of foods but we spent a lot of time introducing foods. We also give him at dinner time a salad plate with raw fruit and veggies arranged like a face. then when he is done with that we give him his vegetable. then when he is done with that we give him whatever meat or fish we're having. then last we give him the starch (especially if its buttered egg noodles). If it's a starch he doesn't like as much I'll give him that with the protein. But when he was 3 - 4 we didn't have the ordered approach I described, but we often made him edamame and had him also try whatever meat we had. Good luck, keep at it, I know it is frustrating.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When I worked in a bookstore we sold a lot of this book. It's supposed to be a great way to sneak veggies in on kids who are refusing to eat them: http://www.amazon.com/The-Sneaky-Chef-Strategies-Favorite/dp/0762430753/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347563507&sr=8-1&keywords=sneaky+chef
  • kimg68
    Options
    I'm a mom that needs to be on MFP to lose that pesky baby weight that's been on for too long. I have 2 little boys (3 & 4 years old). They both are borderline too skinny according to my pediatrician and also according to her, I could stand to "butter their noodles". Honestly, I do feed them all the time, but they are both super picky eaters and really only want to eat breakfast and snack foods. The 3 year old has decided on his own to become a vegetarian (not out of principle, but just doesn't like the taste of meat anymore) and now the 4 year old has decided that he's allergic to anything green (except money) and will make himself throw up before eating anything like green beans or broccoli. SOOOOOO... I'm wondering if anyone has any great KID-FRIENDLY, but healthy recipes they'd like to share where the whole family can eat and I can add on a little something for the skinny ones.

You have gotten some great advice already, especially the helping with preparing the food, my kids love to do this (they are 9 and 12 now). Another thing I did was when we went to the grocery store once a week, I had them each pick one thing from the produce section for them to try that week. That was a lot of fun, and we all got to try stuff we had never had before.

But your post just made me smile and remember those younger years, and the stuff they come up with is hilarious. Those years fly by fast, so remember these precious and funny moments. Good luck momma :)
  • princessrtk
    Options
    My daughter was super skinny too, and her dr recommended whole milk, full fat cheeses, etc. Not sure if yours enjoy dairy, but it's worth a shot!
  • cernunos
    Options
    Smoothies but tell your kids that they are shakes. You can make any kind they like from peanut butter and chocolate to banana strawberry. Put some good fats in there like coconut oil and you can also put different flavored protein powders in to give your vegetarian son some protein. You can process oats in the food processor to add some bulk, chia seeds, all kinds of nut butters, just use your and their imaginations. One of two of those a day and they should gain some weight.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Check out this site, lots of kid-friendly ideas. I love her recipes!

http://weelicious.com/