Orzo Salad w/ Meyer Lemon & Fresh Thyme

Options
pocketmole
pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
Threw this together lunch this afternoon and I loved it. Comes together quickly since the added ingredients can be prepared while waiting for the water to boil, and then while the orzo is cooking. 315 calories for the bowl.

Orzo Salad w/ Meyer Lemon & Fresh Thyme
Serves: 1

mediterraneanorzo_sm.jpg

1/4 cup whole wheat orzo, prepared according to package instructions (make sure to salt your water!)
1/2 cup cooked Quorn tenders (I'm a vegetarian but you could also use cooked, chopped chicken - would change the calorie count a little)
4-5 quartered cherry tomatoes
3-4 chopped kalamta olives
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon meyer lemon juice, plus the zest from the outside (about 1/4-/12 of the lemon is zested)
1 teaspoon water
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Dash of garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese

In a small bowl whisk together the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, water, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. I didn't give exact measurements for these things because you use a small amount. Make it tasty to your specifications.

When the orzo is done, toss it with... well, everything. I generally like to leave a little of each ingredient on the side to top my dish with because I eat with my eyes first. :)

The veggies can be modified quite a bit. Throw in some cucumbers, peppers, chopped spinach. Change the thyme to basil. Change the lemon to lime and use cilantro. Try feta instead of parmesan. I think there is a lot you can do and it will still be great.

Also for those unfamiliar with meyer lemons, they are a little sweeter than regular lemons. The skin is much less bitter as well. Regular lemons would work just fine in it's place, but I really like the taste of these.

Replies

• annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    yummy !!!
  • jet221
    Options
    gonna try this! thanks
  • Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options
    Looks and sounds delicious!
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    ohhhh, gonna bump this for later! Thanks
  • gabriellegabster
    Options
    bump - looks very tasty!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bump! this looks amazing!
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious and as you pointed out so versatile. I have never heard of Quorn tenders. Where do you find those?
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    That looks delicious and as you pointed out so versatile. I have never heard of Quorn tenders. Where do you find those?

I'm able to buy quorn tenders from my local grocery store. I've seen them at both Tom Thumb and Super Target in the frozen foods section. It's a non-soy protein alternative for vegetarians and 1 cup is only 80 calories.

One thing about them is that they can be a bit on the dry side, which is why I like to basically braise them in a shallow pan. This makes them nice and moist and tasty. :)
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    bump !