Wedding dress help needed!!

Options
Hi everyone!

I am getting married next wednesday and am not so happy with how my dress fits. It does fit, but it's a little more snug that I want it to be....I know that there are no quick fixes to losing belly fat and that sort of thing....but can anyone recommend something that might help? My sister in law mentioned spanx, she thinks those would work well. Or is there a way to shed a little water weight in that area just for the day? Probably a dumb question, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

Thank you!!

-Nervous bride!

Replies

• rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Spanx are a god-send!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Spanx is the healthier way to trim down, but also I have heard not drinking water the day before a big event, as well as no carbs!

But who wants to be dehydrated and not eat carb-y fruit?!

Buy some spanx!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Potassium will help shed some water weight. Lots of high potassium foods and no salt. Also, potassium pills.
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You can try one of those wraps(Body wrap/slim wrap...) that promises to take inches off. Its a dehydration methood.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wear Spanx.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yes spanx will help, so will trying to reduce your sodium and sugar. Lay off carbs and go as lean as possible. Veggies are great!!! Water is good to have around too. Be sure to get plenty of rest between now and your wedding as well.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Totally agreed on the Spanx. They sell cheap on eBay and amazon. They're located at Lane Bryant too if you'd rather go in-store.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I bet you'll be gorgeous!

To shed some fast water weight try drinking water with cranberry juice. I know it sounds counterproductive to drink water to get rid of water, but it does help. Also try adding some cucumber slices to water.

Get a girdle (or however it's spelled) I wore one at my wedding 12 years ago and I was 120 pounds and needed one. Looking at my wedding pics now I looked anorexic back then, but wore one anyway.

Again, Congrats. You'll be beautiful.
  • angeldaae
    Options
    Please do not do anything to dehydrate yourself. You will already not be drinking much on your wedding day, so don't make it any worse.

Plus, when you're dehydrated, your body actually retains water, causing you to bloat. So actually drinking MORE water would be better.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Honestly? If you have the money buy another dress that fits properly. You don't want to remember your big day as being the most uncomfortable day of your life (happened to me at my first wedding... thankfully I got a do-over at my 2nd wedding!). Spanx are fine for short term shaping BUT they are not comfortable enough to wear all day long through a wedding and reception.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Spanx, low carb, and watch the sodium! Congrats!! :)
  • helenzback
    helenzback Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi, congratulations on your wedding. I'm sure you will be a stunning bride and you will have a beautiful day.

Dandelion tea is supposed to be great for water retention.
  • angeldaae
    Options
    Spanx are fine for short term shaping BUT they are not comfortable enough to wear all day long through a wedding and reception.

I disagree. Real (name-brand) Spanx are fine. I wore them all day on my wedding day (10 a.m. to Midnight) and I was fine. And that was in July in Alabama.

I wear them often for a full day and they're not uncomfortable.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Spanx. I've found them to be plenty comfortable, just read the chart and get the right size.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Spanx are fine for short term shaping BUT they are not comfortable enough to wear all day long through a wedding and reception.

I disagree. Real (name-brand) Spanx are fine. I wore them all day on my wedding day (10 a.m. to Midnight) and I was fine. And that was in July in Alabama.

I agree with this as well. They've never bothered me before.

I would suggest wearing them before your wedding though to make sure you don't get one that rolls down a lot. Depending on your body shape, I know some of them tend to roll down as you move around. I've only had this problem with one specific pair though.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Agree to disagree. I have 3 pairs of name brand Spanx in various styles - HATE wearing all of them. Anything that makes me feel like it's reshaping my internal organs is not something I'd want to wear for more than a couple hours. I know the next comment will probably be "they must be the wrong size" - they're not, trust me.

I actually chose an empire waist on my 2nd wedding dress because it was more forgiving of bloat than the A line I had the first time.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I also vote for spanx! though I myself went for a boustier under my dress instead (a red one!) all the control and WAAAAY sexier when your new spouse helps you take that dress off!
  • tdubyagreen
    Options
    a close look at my bridal pictures reveals that my poor gown was under pressure! i had a body wrap on my wedding day and my zipper slip up with ease! it may not be the cure all, but it certainly helped me. i personally wear the old fashioned girdles anyway, so i'm used to them, but a good long line support (more than spanx) will give you a smooth silloutte. (i wish this site would allow me to post my pics!). anyway; congrats and i pray that you have a beautiful wedding day and a wonderful MARRIAGE.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Shape wear of any type is handy if you just need a little nip in. They have all that stuff at Ross and TJ Maxx, etc. I found them handy on my wedding day but I do wish I had got my butt into gear a lot sooner. From now till next Wednesday I recommend a high protein diet. Do NOT minimize water, your body needs it to metabolize fat. Get rid of anything high in carbs (bread, pasta, rice) and have fruit prior to 12pm (noon) if you're going to have it. Stick to 6 small, high protein meals a day. Cut out sugar and soda too. Do some exercise daily. It's not as hard as you might think and it will certainly help you out. Good luck and congrat's.
  • elinakalna
    Options
    Salt bath can help to get rid of water retention. Not sprinkle some fancy spa salt in the bath but dissolve 3 kg cooking salt in the warm bath (better do it when you start to fill the bath) and soak for 15 min, repeat for 2-3 nights. Don't make water too hot and don't stay in the bath longer than 15 min (you might feel faint of not used to taking baths). After the bath wrap yourself well and sweat it out.
    Not sure if belly will get smaller, but defo can reduce cunkles and swollen legs/arms.

And good luck with the wedding! I am getting married in just over 3 weeks myself. Yeiii!