Target heart rate?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Ok, since I've gotten my HRM I've found that its very difficult to keep my heart in the target heart rate zone. Is it bad if a significant part of your cardio is spent closer to your max heart rate than in your target zone? Its not really uncomfortable for me, and after today I'm pretty confident I can keep it there for prolonged periods of time so long as I keep an eye on my heart (~170-175 bpm, according to my monitor my target zone ends at about 156).

Does the target zone give a better workout than closer to your max? I can't find a lot of info about it.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ok, since I've gotten my HRM I've found that its very difficult to keep my heart in the target heart rate zone. Is it bad if a significant part of your cardio is spent closer to your max heart rate than in your target zone? Its not really uncomfortable for me, and after today I'm pretty confident I can keep it there for prolonged periods of time so long as I keep an eye on my heart (~170-175 bpm, according to my monitor my target zone ends at about 156).

Does the target zone give a better workout than closer to your max? I can't find a lot of info about it.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same position. I find I have to really work to keep my heart rate DOWN. I do know that once you get fitter, then it is easier for the HR to stay in the target zone.

I am the same as you, I just keep working out even if it's high, as long as I feel okay.

I've had trouble finding info on it as well. Would love to know more.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    hamilton4beaumont Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Has anyone found anything on this????? My HRM blinks constantly during my workouts and I feel great! I tried to keep it in the "fat burning zone" and was a bit bored! BUT, i was thinking, maybe I should keep it at the lower end of it and double the time? Just a thought.
    But I do like interval settings on machines, but my heart rate usually doesn't drop during the lower intervals.
    Still searching for these answers.
    And I hope I've done this correctly... 2200 calories is what I burn on an average day. No way is 1200 calories going to help me lose weight, right? I've conferenced with Banks repeatedly:laugh: :laugh: and I know I'm supposed to shoot for 1800 calories or so for a month before I go back to famine lifestyle, but these last seven days of 1800 calories have felt like seven years!!!!!! It just seems so counter productive. If Banks's advice works, then I've got to send him huge kudos! ANyone struggling with the idea of eating more?
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Cool horn pic, msarro
  • BabyGrlRae
    BabyGrlRae Posts: 10
    Options
    This site explains the target heart rate pretty well. Basically the "moderate" zone on the heart monitor is the aerobic zone, which is where you want to be. In short, the longer you stay in the anaerobic zone the more your body will have to get its energy from what is stored in your muscles, not your fat. In order to burn the energy from fat your body needs oxygen. Here's the article:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

The Energy Efficient or Recovery Zone - 60% to 70%

Training within this zone develops basic endurance and aerobic capacity. All easy recovery running should be completed at a maximum of 70%. Another advantage to running in this zone is that while you are happily fat burning you may lose weight and you will be allowing your muscles to re-energise with glycogen, which has been expended during those faster paced workouts.

The Aerobic Zone - 70% to 80%

Training in this zone will develop your cardiovascular system. The body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles can be developed and improved. As you become fitter and stronger from training in this zone it will be possible to run some of your long weekend runs at up to 75%, so getting the benefits of some fat burning and improved aerobic capacity.

The Anaerobic Zone - 80% to 90%

Training in this zone will develop your lactic acid system. In this zone, your individual anaerobic threshold (AT) is found - sometimes referred to the point of deflection (POD). During these heart rates, the amount of fat being utilised as the main source of energy is greatly reduced and glycogen stored in the muscle is predominantly used. One of the by-products of burning this glycogen is lactic acid. There is a point at which the body can no longer remove the lactic acid from the working muscles quickly enough. This is your anaerobic threshold (AT). Through the correct training, it is possible to delay the AT by being able to increase your ability to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time or by pushing the AT higher.

The Red Line Zone 90% to 100%

Training in this zone will only be possible for short periods. It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibres and helps to develop speed. This zone is reserved for interval running and only the very fit are able to train effectively within this zone.
  • oneman86
    oneman86 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have the same problem of keeping in the target heart rate. I would try for maybe about 10 minutes to keep my heart rate down but then get bored. I usually end up being in the 80% range at the end of my workout.
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options
    WOW! Thank you so much. I will try to stay lower, but today I did NOT! I pushed as long and as hard as I could for 45 minutes. My HRM was blinking about 88 to 90 most of the time. Does it mean that i'm really out of shape or that I have a weak heart if my heart rate goes up pretty easily?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thank you so much. I will try to stay lower, but today I did NOT! I pushed as long and as hard as I could for 45 minutes. My HRM was blinking about 88 to 90 most of the time. Does it mean that i'm really out of shape or that I have a weak heart if my heart rate goes up pretty easily?

I just means that your fitness level has room for improvement!! Yea! that mean more hard work ahead! :laugh:

your HRM also tells you how many minutes of your workout you spent in your Target HR, perhaps you goal could be to increase that time with each workout?

There is another good post about your VO2 - volume of oxygen - I will look and see if I can find it....
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Here is an article on VO2 Max and increasing your endurance ...

Hope this helps you!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps:
    http://www.shapefit.com/heartrate.html

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • hamilton4beaumont
    Options

Hope this helps you!
    where is it?
  • pmkelly409
    Options

Hope this helps you!
    where is it?

http://www.coolrunning.com/major/97/training/hampson.html

Oops! Sorry! don't know how I messed that up!!