Mashed potatoes

Options
daved71
daved71 Posts: 65 Member
I am making mashed potatoes for dinner tonight and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to calculate calories on this. I have weighed my taters and am going to use chicken broth to cut the fat and calories. Any ideas?

Replies

• sheltieroger
    sheltieroger Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When I cook 'big', I calculate the calories for everything I put in it, measure the amount of the total (ie the number of cups for the whole pot of potatoes after mashed) and then divide it by whatever serving size I use.
    So, if I had 12 cups of mashed potatoes with a total of 1200 calories (this is an example, not a real number) and wanted 12 servings of one cup, 1200cal / 12cups = 100 cal/cup

If you wanted to figure it out on this site,enter in all the ingredients as a meal and then in the meal title (so you can remind yourself the serving size) put how much it was ie Homemade mashed potatoes (1 cup serving) MFP will give you the total of the whole pot of potatoes. You can just put in your serving size as 1/12 (using my original example for serving sizes). Then, just delete the whole meal of mashed potatoes from your food diary and just enter the amount of the meal.

I hope this helps and didnt get too confusing!
    Beth
  • daved71
    Options
    Thanks, this is what I was thinking of doing.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I tried this site and it works pretty good to get all the info on your own cooking.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • femalearcher
    Options
    If you havent tried cauliflower for mashed potatoes...if you like cauliflower, steam them and blend em up....i think they are fabulous, i dont even feel the need for mashed potatoes anymore.
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Potatoes are a no no when dieting. White rice, white potatoes, white bread. Very high in carbs and, if you're serious about dieting, should be removed from your food allowances. If you want to eat potatoes, eat yams. When made right, you won't even need butter.

My sister makes the cauliflower recipe and it's delicious. Even better then yams.
  • daved71
    Options
    I know they are not good but we put a turkey breast in the slow cooker and wanted the potatoes.
  • EmilyT85
    Options
    I don't think saying that they're a "no no" is accurate... unless you're doing a LOW or NO carb diet. Yams/ sweet potatoes are high, also.

Potatoes can be a good low calorie option if prepared without oil/ butter (boiled, baked, etc.).

Eat healthfully and eat in moderation, but don't deprive yourself!

Enjoy your potatoes, Dave! : )
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are a no no when dieting. White rice, white potatoes, white bread. Very high in carbs and, if you're serious about dieting, should be removed from your food allowances. If you want to eat potatoes, eat yams. When made right, you won't even need butter.

My sister makes the cauliflower recipe and it's delicious. Even better then yams.

I think that that mentality can really get you in trouble, or even worse, cause you to "fall off the wagon" so easily! I know we've probably all heard this many times, but it can't be said enough... You need to think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. If you continue to think of it as a diet, you won't know what to do when your diet is "over".

I personally LOVE mashed potatoes and I have lost 30 lbs. in the past year STILL eating mashed potatoes. Like the person before me said... ALL IN MODERATION!!!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with potatoes..they are a great source of potassium. It is usually the things we put on our potatoes...gravy , sour cream, butter, bacon.... I am losing weight and I eat a baked potato at least 2 times a week for lunch. Yes they have carbs, but not all carbs are bad.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I eat a potato nearly every night and if not a potatoes white rice...i think I'm pretty serious about wt loss :flowerforyou: Its all about portion controll, not ever eating something again is unrealistic and why people fail at dieting, you have to learn how to eat foods that you come across in everyday life, right...good move on the chicken broth!