Perfume at interviews, yes or no?

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    NO! the wrong scent can be very off-putting. And the person you interview with may have an allergy to perfumes!

^^ Or they simply don't like the scent you wear. Some people mentally react negatively to some scents.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    def not
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I agree--no. I like perfume but not everyone does.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no, for several reasons:

-if you happen to have an interviewer who is sensitive/allergic, your goose is cooked. Also bad if your perfume reminds them of that awful ex.

-when you get nervous and warm, that scent gets thrown a LOT farther than you would think possible. Even an appropriate amount can seem like way too much when you are overheated.

-second interviews can be group interviews or team project interviews. You may be sitting a lot closer to people than you anticipated, and be more nervous.

*edited because my "m" key is sticky today*
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    only if its for a stripper ...... then the fragrance would be cucumber melon

Wrong, its Warm Vanilla Sugar.

see now I have a reason to goto the club they've switched up the smells since last ive been
  • chrischinchilla
    chrischinchilla Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No. Stick to a nicely scented body wash and hair conditioner and leave it at that. You never know who you're going to offend, and worse, some people have allergies towards perfume. Make a beautiful visual presentation of yourself, not a scented one!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Nope don't wear any. Never know if someone is allergic or you could put too much on by accident.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Same goes for the perfumed hand/body creams......I've wanted to stick forks in my eyes when a co-worker used to over do it.....she's gone now....and I can breathe. lol :smile:

but seriously......no scent until you know how much it's accepted if you get the job. And congrats on the 2nd interview.......will keep fingers crossed! :flowerforyou:
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I wore perfume and I got hired anyway. :flowerforyou:
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't want to give the guy a headache
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Perfume didn't hurt at my last job interview (for my current job.) But I don't bathe in it.
  • Jan72002
    Options
    Thanks for all the help
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    NO, just deo.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    No. The interviewer might not like your perfume and s/he might even be allergic to it. Your judgment might be questioned, as well as your experience in work environments and willingness to be considerate to others.

It was different years ago, but the consensus today is that even when hired, people should not be able to smell your perfume unless they're right on top of you.
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    No. You want them to remember you, not your perfume.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    Is this why I don't have a job? :noway:
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Personally, if you wear any, wear very very little. You don't want to walk into a room and everyone smells you before they see you. You want to be remembered for your talents, not your smell.

Edit: Oh and watch the deodorant, some brands and smells can come off smelling like Alcohol from a distance which you REALLY do not want.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    No! Or at least, not much. Deodorant and a shower - yes :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Get basic instinct.. it's by Pure Romance and it lets out your pheramones or whatever it's called. Seriously made my husband go nuts. I guess they tested it and you're more likely to get hired when you wear it and make more tips when you're a waitress... lol IDK if THATS reall...but it makes guys go nuts. It makes everyone smell different.

Mine smells like that zebra stripe gum, unless it's TOM, then it smells like pine.
  • sngnewmommy
    Options
    Wow I'm surprised at all the no responses! I would... because that's me and I can't not wear it. Perfume can be a very pleasant thing.... one squirt on your neck is all you need.