I have an embarrassing question...

Options
Hello, I've been meaning to post this in the hopes of getting people's opinions, but I've put it off because I find it a bit embarrassing.

My problem is that I don't think I'm going #2 as often as I should be. I have to remind myself to "go" and I usually forget, so I end up going around every 3 or 4 days or so. It isn't painful or uncomfortable between visits to the bathroom, and I don't have to strain or anything when I do "go." I have been this way since I was a teenager, and I always thought it was normal.

Anyways, so I would really appreciate it if someone could look at my food diary and give me some input on what I'm doing wrong, to see if this has to do with my eating habits. I've kept an accurate food diary of everything I've eaten for a week. I realize my eating habits are far from perfect, so please be completely honest with me! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Ivana331
    Options
    I didn't look at your diary, but you know you don't HAVE to go everyday.... as long as you are comfortable and not constipated, I don't see the need to go every day. I would take it as my body is using more of what I eat, meaning I am putting good things into my body. Since I started eating healthier, I go every other day or so and it's much easier than it used to be, and I take that as a good sign. :)
    For example, breastfed babies poop less often than formula fed babies because breastmilk is perfect for them and their bodies use more of it and there is less waste with breastmilk, but formula has extra chemicals and such that the baby doesn't need, so the baby needs to poop more to get rid of that extra stuff. I see the same as us eating healthier vs junk food.
    Edited for typos.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Just from reading your post I'd say that you are fine. People's bodies are very different and for some people they go every single day, maybe multiple times, sometimes even at the same time each day. (oh to dream!) But others go every couple of days, every few days, or just whenever it happens it happens.

From everything I've read about it (I've gone from being a daily to every few days since I started eating healthier) that as long as you're within a four to five day range you aren't actually considered constipated or irregular. So if you aren't uncomfortable at any point, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it starts to trouble you or become painful in between or to go, then go see a doctor about it. That's a better course of action than starting to self-treat with OTC laxatives or something similar because it's better to have the body going naturally than with the aid of medication. Especially for someone that hasn't been able to go, if the medication works well, it can be tempting to continue taking it, and then your body will actually start to adapt to the medication and will need it in order to go and a person could end up seriously backed up when they stop taking the medication.
  • Keltinator
    Options
    Thank-you guys for your time. I'm glad to hear that I'm still in the "normal" range!
  • sneakysneaker
    sneakysneaker Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I find that a daily probiotics tablet works wonders. And staying hydrated if you've upped your fiber intake and/or exercise more.