Spinning Question - Scared - No beginner class...

Options
Hi all, I searched spinning on here and saw that others have felt intimidated like me and eventually grew to love it, additionally I saw there were instructors who post here so I thought I'd get some advice. First off, my gym (LA Fitness) doesn't appear to offer a beginner class........while I don't know if I could last the whole time, I am more concerned about learning the equipment and not falling off :noway: . I guess I could ask one of the staff members but most of the classes I could attend are usually full or close to full, so I'm a bit embarassed about being a newbie when around all those folks. Any advice?

Additionally, I currently ride the upright, stationary bike for cardio. I feel like a clidesdale horse when running (attempting) on the tread mill. For example tonight I went for 45 minutes at level six (should've worn my heart monitor to see that....) and went in shifts pretty hard on manual settings and also do at least 30-35 (not including cool down) of random hills or cardio beat. Will I be able to do this, it looks quite crazy when I look over as they appear to be off the seat the whole time - never did that before. Thoughts anyone? Should I train more before I attempt to join and build up my resistence?

Thanks!:drinker:

Replies

• LizL
    LizL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Porka29
    Don't be scared of a spin class, you want to make sure that the bike it set-up properly so that you are comfortable. Here is a quick way of making sure the bike is right for you. Stand beside the seat, the seat should come inline with your hip. The handle bars should be roughly the same height as the seat or 1-2 notches higher. **if you have a back injury or concern, raise the handle bars higher. The distance of the seat to the handle bars is roughly the length of your elbow to your finger tips. Put your elbow on the front edge of the seat & finger tips should touch the handle bars without bending.
    When riding, keep your shoulders down, chest open to get a good breath.

Remember - even if the instructor tells you to turn up the tension, you don't have to. Do it at your pace but challenge yourself. Everyone has to start somewhere! You can do this!!!! Spin used to woop my *kitten*, now I teach.
    Enjoy it and keep smiling!
  • mament
    Options
    GO FOR IT!!! I'm a spin instructor and it's nice because the room I teach in has no windows and we take it down to blacklights only. Here's the speech I give anyone new: This is YOUR ride. I'm here to coach you, to push you. If I'm telling you to stand up, give it a shot. If you're not ready for that, stay seated, no big deal, it's your ride. You'll get there.

I once had a lady who couldn't ride out of the saddle for over six weeks of class. At all. Only after six weeks, could she start to stand up a little bit here and there. We don't have any beginner classes either...the GREAT thing about cycling is that one class can be for all levels...you can take it up higher than what I'm coaching you if you're a die-hard cyclist (which I have a few), or you can sneak your tension back down and no one will notice!!! You will also be SO PUMPED by the energy and the music in the room that it will help out big time! GOOD LUCK!
  • rachel512
    rachel512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No way! Spinning is a blast! It will kick your butt the first few times but I think you'll love it, especially if there's a good instructor. You wont fall off the bike, you're either clipped in or the baskets for your feet are nice and tight. Your rump may be a little sore...but you'll get over it quickly and I think you'll soon love it! I was very intimidated to take a class as well but go ahead, jump right in there and you'll be happy you did!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You should specifically ask the gym if they offer a beginner class. Or ask the instructor. As for dificulty, that is really up to you. You get out of a workout what you put in. If you go into the class and try it, and get half way through and think you can't finish then just take it easy for a while. If you go in and kill yourself, and finish you may never want to go back again. Unless the class is an extra fee, just give it a shot. Get a bike by the back so you can watch everyone else and learn anything special you need to know (thought a bike isn't like step aerobics so no worries about having to go sideways :) ) and then you can relax if you find you need to, without the stigma "everyone is watching me slack-off" and then jump back in as hard or medium or easy as your body tells you to. You may find it's not for you, or not for very often. Then either don't take any more classes, or use it to spice things up and confuse your body every once in a while. Good luck!
  • peckelpea
    Options
    I've been attending our local gym for the past few weeks. My SIL has encouraged me to attend spinning, I finally did it a week or so ago and WOW, It's really worth going. I was nervous at first too, I mean a 280 pound woman spinning. I was scared everyone would laugh at me, after a week of going I don't have to stop and get off at all. It's worth it. GO!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I've taken a few spin classes. Off and on, more off than on. I do enjoy the class, and everyone's right, you can adjust the tension as much or as little as you want. My first few times on the bike, when the instructor would tell us that we were going up a hill and to turn the knob a full turn, I would only turn it half way. Heck, I was still huffin and puffin and sweating up a storm! As I got more fit, I would turn the knob closer to what the instructor said.

Somebody else mentioned a sore bum. Yup, expect that too. I think my hinder hurt for a couple of days after the class for the first few weeks. But then my bum must have gotten used to it, because it didn't hurt anymore.
  • routsongk
    routsongk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just started spinning two weeks ago. The class kicks my butt, but I look forward to it just the same. It's one of those things that is pure agony while you're doing it, but the class goes fast and when you're done, you feel GREAT! I was intimidated, too, but I talked with a couple of regulars about it, and they assured me we all start out being intimidated and just to do the best I could. Before class starts, tell the instructor you're new. They will help you adjust the equipment to get you started. I think knowing there's a newbie in the class also helps them to talk you through the moves. It was quite awkward getting up off the seat during the first class, but it was much better the next week. I think the trick is to keep at it, and just like anything else, it gets easier the more you to it.

334728.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared, just do it! :) You can get there early for class (say 10-15 minutes) and catch the instructor before class is in full swing. I usually just introduce myself and that I'm new to that class. Instructors have always been very nice and are more than happy to help you get set up. I love cycling classes and have totally gotten over the fact that my butt is usually the biggest in the class. Good luck and can't wait to hear how it goes.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the quick responses! I reallly am not worried about being embarassed once I'm there, guess the thing will be just attending in general, but I spy on them so much now (from the side, espc since the gym had open house the other night and the doors were open so I could hear the music and the instructors nice manner....) :happy:

I think this is something I want to do, should I be worried about upping my time on the stationary bike I currently ride at the gym for cardio to at least an hour prior to going in for my first attempt?
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I went to a spinning class at LA Fitness in my town. All I can say is that I personally hated it. It was very hardcore. I ended up leaving 15 minutes early, because I knew if I didn't, it was very possible to never enjoy sex again. I say give it a try, you may be a better person than I am.
  • tavander
    Options
    Don't worry about increasing your time on a regular stationary first (unless you are only at 5 minutes now ;) ). You are in total control of the tension on your bike which has a lot to do with the intensity. You can always just keep it really low until you get the groove too. I'm excited for you!

Also, if you do experience any discomfort or have questions, be sure to talk to your instructor. In my experience they have always been helpful. You might not always get your bike settings correct at first so don't be afraid to ask how to adjust it. Your bum or girl parts might be a little sore but that is because they are not use to sitting on a bike seat like that. Honestly, just get back on and you won't really notice anymore.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    well, i think it is meant to be that you go to this class!

as you know, tonight was my first time. the only work out i have been doing the last week and a half is the 30 day shred - maybe 5 days tops. i also walk/jog my dog - at her pace :wink:

the spin class was great! my thighs burned in the beginning, but quickly surpassed that 'oh me gah i cant do this' stage. i only felt silly when i had to stand up and bend over, because my tush was facing a gym full of college students. but then i thought, who cares!!!

right now, 3 hours since the class ended, my body feels a bit stiff and tight - most likely its in shock, lol! my bum does hurt but i think the worst is yet to come. i refuse to let it stop me though - next class is wednesday night!

cant wait to hear about your experience!!! :flowerforyou:
  • tavander
    Options
    Way to go heather0mc!!
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot!!! I agree with the positives that everyone else wrote. I take spinning 3 or 4 times a week. Each instructor is a little different.

Sounds like you already ride a bike, but if your booty is sore after the spinning class, considering buying a cushioned seat cover. I bought one and LOVE it. My tail bone is never sore anymore.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Give it a shot!!! I agree with the positives that everyone else wrote. I take spinning 3 or 4 times a week. Each instructor is a little different.

Sounds like you already ride a bike, but if your booty is sore after the spinning class, considering buying a cushioned seat cover. I bought one and LOVE it. My tail bone is never sore anymore.

A few of the bikes in our class have gel seat covers to cushion, but I hate them. They always seem to slide off during sprints... I do wear a pair of biker unders, which help some.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm gonna do it, will let you know. I do have a pair of gel booty shorts from when we were doing mountain biking (I was not so good at steering and made for funny tree crashes - where was youtube when needed? LOL) but from what I peeped at while doing my bike cardio butts were off the seat more than on if on at all...................:tongue:
  • heather0mc
    Options
    Way to go heather0mc!!

*blushing*

thanks! i am off to spin in 2 hours. i will check back in after wards :)
  • heather0mc
    Options
    ok - spin class #2 done!

here are some things i wanted to share:

~ my *kitten* HURT for the first 8ish minutes. so bad i didnt think i could do it. after that - i guess it went numb! LOL!

~ my legs burned a lot. longer than the first time. BUT i did the shred last night and really concentrated on legs so that may have been it.

~ the time went by quickly. great cardio.

~ totally worth it :)
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I went to spin class today too... I did a lifting class before spin, and doing the "long hill" just about killed me. I had to leave class 15 minutes early (to go to a nutrition class), and I was pretty darn happy to get off the bike just before our third set of jumps. Aaack!

This is probably definitely going to be my Wednesday workout every week!
  • heather0mc
    Options
    I went to spin class today too... I did a lifting class before spin, and doing the "long hill" just about killed me. I had to leave class 15 minutes early (to go to a nutrition class), and I was pretty darn happy to get off the bike just before our third set of jumps. Aaack!

This is probably definitely going to be my Wednesday workout every week!

NICE! i dont even know what the jumps are! is that where you sit stand sit stand?