MORE/FITNESS Womens Half Marthon

Options
Hi Everyone!
I am new to MFP and I recently decided to start eating healthier so that I can lose weight. As I started the treadmill three days ago, I was starting to get discouraged. Last night, I looked for some encouragement. So, I came across Fitness Magazines Half Marathon in NYC. After, thinking about it the whole day today. I decided to run the half marathon. I am really scared because I hate running long distances and I am not very good. It takes me 14 minutes to run a mile, imagine 13 miles:sad: . Anyhoot, I am super excited because the half marathon is not until late April and this is something I will be looking forward too. Just an idea for those people like me who need that extra motivation!
-Stephanie :flowerforyou:

PS Dont know how many pounds I will lose but, I am going to train everyday running 60 minutes a day (except my off days of course!). But I can only jog a mile none stop, so I am going to build on jogging none stop. Don't have a goal as to "in how long I want to finish the half marathon" As long as I finish

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am running a Marathon in October! I hope your half marathon goes well! It can be great motivation!

This is the quote I use to motivate me:

“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”
  • jsturman
    jsturman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out this website, helpful in training...............

www.coolrunning.com
  • OliveCulona
    Options
    thanks for the website! it's full of great info... i'm always looking to train for a marathon!! tips would be helful!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    oooh... I like that quote aes.

Good luck with your half- I'm sure you'll kick it's butt. Just get hooked up with a good training plan.
  • alisahinzman
    Options
    Hey Stephanie! What a great goal! And it's good to hear from someone else that runs, but doesn't seem to fit that crazy-perfect 8minute mile! It takes me 13:30 to jog a mile (and I can only do the one, before I have to do the whole "walk-jog-walk-jog" thing!)
    I will be running right along with you in spirit while you train!
    And I love the earlier quote about the lion and gazelle!
    -Alisa
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome and good job on taking this first step!

Secondly, running is a great choice for weight loss, lifestyle change and stress reduction. So you've definately picked an excellent sport and a 1/2 marathon is a realistic goal. There are various programs online that can guide you on where you should be before you start training for one and how to train to run a 1/2 safely and still have fun while you're doing it.

Don't worry about speed at this point, the speed will come after you get your running legs established and have a good weekly mileage established safely. I've only been running 7 months now and have one 1/2 under my belt. It was a disaster! Lol, I didn't prepare well enough and a ton of other rookie mistakes. You learn and grow and then sign up for the next race!

There are a ton of people on this site and every one of them has been at the beginning where you are now. Learn from their experience and mistakes and then pass it on to the next person when you can. Good luck and again, welcome to the club!
  • tammychambers
    tammychambers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also training for my first half marathon (in April). I am using this training schedule and it is working great. I'm doing a walk run method. I'm running half mile and walking half a mile. I figure I can do that for 13 miles. I can tell that I'm getting stronger and feel that I may be able to run more than half a mile by the time the half marathon gets here.

Good luck.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm