Where to start?

Options
I feel so defeated right now. I started MFP in the spring of 2011 and by the end of the year had gone down about 33 lbs (from 197 down to 164).

I lost motivation and have since gained back at least 10 lbs and haven't been watching my eating AT ALL. No calorie counting or limiting sugar, gluten and dairy like I had been (I have a sensitivity to the latter two).

....I guess I'm just wondering - what do you do to kick start yourself back into getting fit after having a HUGE backslide and feeling like a failure? I know in my head what I should be doing, but I'm having such a hard time being motivated.

I think part of the problem is I get overwhelmed with work (I work from home so I can be with my 1.5 year old) and don't plan meals ahead, and I don't have many friends where I live to get a support system going. I moved last year to a suburb outside of Tampa and haven't met anyone. I've thought of joining a Zumba class in hopes of meeting some new people and actually excercising...anyone here tried Zumba? Fun? Good workout?

Anyway, that you for reading. I haven't posted much here before and have totally ignored this website for months until today. I hope everyone else is doing better on their journey to healthy living than I am :)

Replies

• meganlee85
    Options
    Well, I put all of my chocolate stash in the freezer, actually weighed myself (gained back 13 pounds), and logged my food today - despite how horrible it was. Gotta start somewhere, right? :)
  • rowyourboat
    rowyourboat Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You've been doing such a great job! I started in January and lost about 9 lbs. and gained 5 during one month of stress. Last week, I came back strong and tracking. I'm meal planning and planning my day around my exercise. I realize that can be difficult because I have a 3.5 year old, but I'm making it work somehow. Welcome back and good luck, you can do it!
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    ^^Exactly! I was going to say pretend like you're totally starting over and do everything from scratch but looks like you already did that. Just start by logging everything, everyday and it will eventually start clicking again.

I've never taken Zumba but I was at my gym the other day and they had a Zumba class going on right in front of the bike I was riding so I checked it out a bit and I think I'm going to try it next week - looks like so much fun! I have ZERO coordination but a lot of people have told me not to worry about that and just move when I go so I guess I'll try it out.

Best wishes to you!
  • fluffytattie
    Options
    Zumba is definitely great fun and a good one to try if you're not much of an exerciser. I found a weight loss club that suited me (tried a few but Slimming World definitely my favourite and currently successfully using weight on their eating plan) and joined my local gym, I've met a load of girls who I go to fitness classes with every week. Going with people makes it so much more fun... and motivates you to go when you don't feel like it.

My motivation to kick-start my weight loss was with a break-up... but without anything as drastic as that, why not try setting yourself short-term goals? Having something to work towards that is a challenge but achievable will give you the feeling of success that will hopefully help you to stick at it. Don't set your sights on goals that are too out of reach to begin with, and do everything in your power to meet up with people on the same journey as you.

Hope this helps :) x
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    find things you enjoy, make simple substitutions (fat free sour cream, yogurt, milk, cheeses, and anything possible really).
    Try to find whole grains vs white or even wheat.
    Have a few simple go to snacks that you can grab without even thinking. Sugar free jello, cherry tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, for me it's unsweetened coconut.
    I substitute sugar free caramel syrup for my coffee with almond milk to cut calories and replace a meal or a snack with whey powder mixed with almond milk to get more protein. If I am hungry at night I automatically have an egg white omelet with salsa.

Things you can do without really thinking, new habits. That's what I am looking for for long term results.
  • meganlee85
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement and ideas, everyone!

I know if I can just make it a week with eating better/counting calories/exercising, I will start feeling better and more motivated to continue my new routine. It's just getting started that feels so overwhelming. Already makings some new friends on here today for support, though :)

Good luck, everyone!