Every day I'm short on protein

Options
Hey all,
So far my diet is going good.
But my protein is low, even though I have peanut butter here and there.
Is there a protein drink on the market that you like?
I'm going to start lifting some light weights soon, to get muscles like back then:wink:
Thanks for your tips and replies

Danny

Replies

• carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't purchase the pre mixed protein shakes. Purchase a good whey (or soy) protein powder ... I prefer whey and mix my own. Use unsweetened almond milk, frozen (or fresh) fruit. You'll get some good responses to your post -- protein and shakes are a hot topic. Feel free to view my diary -- I'm an open book !! LOL I absolutely love the protein shakes -- fills me up, too.

Best wishes.
  • Amytheamazing
    Options
    my husband is a fan of muscle milk
  • sabrinarice
    Options
    I just started using Vi-Shake by Visalus and I LOVE it!!! It tastes like cake mix but has so much more nutrition in one shake then you could eat in an entire day! I love it for my whole family!
  • misscrash17
    Options
    Garden of Life Raw Protein Chocolate flavor!
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    Peanut butter isn't a great source of protein for how many calories it has. Edamame is good, so is TVP (and you can mix that into all kinds of foods to add a protein boost or just eat it plain).
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like the vanilla whey powder from walmart. Like $15 or so and lasts about a month if you use 1 scoop a day. I mix with almond milk, unsweetened for only 30 extra calories. I also keep chocolate and strawberry on hand. My husband mixes creatine, whey, almond milk and frozen vegies for a shake after every excersize and then we take glucosomine, fish oil and a vitamin every day too.

Eggs are cheap, you can make a 6 egg omelet (I use 2 yolks and all the whites) and I eat with salsa for a low calorie high protein bedtime snack :)
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    Ooh, and for Almond milk, there's some brand (sorry, can't remember which) that has a kind called Almond Plus. It's almond milk with a little more protein than normal, tastes the same.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian?
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian?

No I'm not, but I'm steering way clear of burgers, I may slip in a steak here and there.
  • dannytrees1
    Options
    Thanks all, I have never tried almond milk, but I will look for it and some whey.
    I will also look around town and see who sells a ready mixed protein drink.

Dan
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar has good protein shake powder - mixed with 8 ounces of skim milk you'd get 29 grams of protein for only 160 calories. I like their Chocolate Truffle, Cappuccino, and Strawberry Mousse shake flavors. Additionally, Nature's Best Isopure unflavored can be added to other foods, hot or cold. (As a side note, unflavored just means extra flavor like chocolate, etc., has been added, so there is still a slight taste - but this brand has the least taste so it won't ruin whatever you are mixing it in.)
  • How about some low fat greek yogurt, it's loaded with protein. Hummous with veggies. Put some black beans or garbanzo beans in your salad for a great protein boost. Just adding a glass of milk will help!
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try adding these:
    Greek yogurt
    Beans and lentils (Add to salads, soups or pasta)
    Cottage cheese (I like to top spaghetti and sauce with it instead of having meat)
    Eggs and/or egg whites (I scramble with veggies and put on a whole wheat english muffin or use in baked oatmeal)
    Tuna (Canned in water- use in wraps or on top of salad)
    Seafood
    Lean chicken
    Tofu, seitan, tempeh (I use these in place of meat all the time)

I prefer to get my protein from real food sources instead of a chemical-filled powder
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    1oz of cooked chicken breast is 40 calories, and has 9 grams of protein. You can poach or grill a few big pieces at the beginning of the week, and add them in throughout the week.
  • dannytrees1
    Options
    Thanks all for the information, I'm learning a lot here.
    I did have a protein shake this morning for breakfast, and also had some eggs for supper.
    I'm like 500 cal under my daily, so I will look for some healthy snacks In a bit

Danny
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition double rich chocolate. but try to get most of your protein from food. I get around 150 gm a day, and it's not that hard once you get used to it. Maybe try:

Chicken breast
    Lean turkey
    Lean red meat (flank steaks, etc)
    96/4 ground beef
    Tuna
    Pretty much ANY fish
    Eggs

Peanut butter is actually a better source of fat than protein. I love peanut butter, and I'm not bashing it at all, but it's not a great high-protein source. Neither is almond milk, or regular milk for that matter. Best wishes to you!
  • Lifties
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition double rich chocolate. but try to get most of your protein from food. I get around 150 gm a day, and it's not that hard once you get used to it. Maybe try:

Chicken breast
    Lean turkey
    Lean red meat (flank steaks, etc)
    96/4 ground beef
    Tuna
    Pretty much ANY fish
    Eggs

Peanut butter is actually a better source of fat than protein. I love peanut butter, and I'm not bashing it at all, but it's not a great high-protein source. Neither is almond milk, or regular milk for that matter. Best wishes to you!

I couldn't agree more. Protein shakes have their place, but they are the less efficient way to intake protein.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter/nuts are not high in protein. I never understood why people think they are such a good source of protein... I have to eat like 30 almonds and it still only adds up to like 6 grams of protein.... that is definitely not what I call "high protein" lol...

Eat more meat. That's what really gets my protein intake up. If I eat meat as my main dish for lunch and dinner, I have no problems reaching at least 120g. I aim for around 140-150. For breakfast I usually just have a piece of bread with peanut butter and nutella and a protein shake.. (I'll eat eggs and bacon only if I have enough time. sometimes I will make them ahead of time and store in the fridge and just heat up lol.) and then I'll eat chicken and vegetables for lunch and dinner. I like to keep things simple. I also eat things like cottage cheese and greek yogurt.

I buy a chicken in bulk and I make a lot of it at a time and use that for my lunches. It's really not hard to get enough protein once you get used to it. I have to plan my meals a little bit in advance but it's not hard. Almost every day I end up hitting my protein goal of 150g and have tons of carbs left to spare.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There's a newish brand called Warrior Blend, it's 100% plant based. I like it!
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Whey advanced protien at meijers, if you have mejers there. I think a lot of places sell it. you can mix it with anything. i use no fat milk 26g with 1 scoop. Also plain no fat yogurt. I mis sugar free jello powder with it for taste

Basil