Tofu what???

Options
Ok I finaly went and bought tofu.....the only problem is that now I dont know what to do with it!!!

THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PACKAGE!!!

I knew I should've bought KD instead!!

lol

no but seriously, anyone has a good tofu recipe??

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Hey, Jeff, I ate vegetarian for a long time, this site is a great resource and this page in particular helped me a lot --> http://theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/recipe.php?MainID=1 (The Scrambled Tofu was one of my favorites.)
  • Mommy08
    Mommy08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I cube up my tofu like I would chicken breast and use it in place of the chicken in things like stir-frys and stuff like that. It's a great filler for anything like that. Hope that helps you some. And I always buy extra-firm because it holds up better for really hot cooking.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I like the more firm ones as well. It helps when you marinade the tofu before even cooking it, think of it like a songe, it just needs a little more time to absorb the flavors.. I really like it in asian dishes!
  • hjmygatt
    Options
    This past summer I put it on skewers with veggies, marinated and BBQ'd it. It was yummy! Might be an idea for when the weather improves!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I soak mine in some low sodium soy sauce and then cut it into cubes and bake it for a while at 400 to 425F. I've grown to like tofu itself over the years, but my first go around with it was less than successful. I also sometimes cover it in a Mrs. Dash like seasoning and bake it. It can be fried (stir fry, pan fry, etc.) but I have struggled with it sticking if I don't cook it with other things.
  • Elfie1
    Elfie1 Posts: 30
    Options
    Just what does tofu taste like? I have always wanted to try it, but just never have. Is it pretty low cal/fat?
  • tiffc10
    Options
    Tofu has a light taste. It's almost bland...the great thing about it is that it that it takes on the flavor of whatever you are cooking it with. I LOVE the texture. I have served it to my boyfriend and it took him the whole meal to figure out that he wasn't eating meat! :) So, there ya go. I love it in stir-frys or on salads. You can also put it in spaghetti sauce in place of meat and it gives it great texture! It can also be used to make a lot of dips. I have a ton of great dip recipes that use tofu and yogurt otgether! :) Sounds disgusting...but it's awesome. I learned them in my healthy cooking class in Italy!
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!

Just a little question...if I replace chicken with Tofu in a receipe, do I use the same quantity? i.e.: 1 lbs of chicken = 1 lbs of tofu?
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Tofu tends to be less dense than meat... I'd use less.