Punching Bag Workout?

Options
Anyone have a great punching bag work out? I bought one and have yet to use it. Just smacking on it doesn't seem like I am getting the most from my work out.

Thanks!

Replies

• Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check out RossTraining.com, especially in the forums section. He's got a lot of training articles, and members in the forums often put up some of their own routines.

I have a 100lb gel foam bag. I generally workout on my bag for 3 or 5 min intervals, and rest 1-2 minutes, for as long as 30 minutes. Sometimes I try to structure it like a boxing match, other times like an MMA fight. Change up or get bored.

I try to do L&R crosses, jabs, uppercuts, and backfists, in various forms and combos; I do elbows, knee strikes, and hammerfists. I often use a nightstick, a rubber knife, or a rubber gun and when I just feel like pounding the hell out of it, a rubber coated dead blow hammer.
  • nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you ever boxed or kickboxed before? I always found the best way was to try and act as if I was sparring, throw structured combos.

You could also try using Bas Rutten's tapes. The boxing ones alone would be a great workout. I think they were meant for shadowboxing, but with a bag htey work too.
  • tmuster
    Options
    do come circuit training with it.. I have a UFC workout video and it does Squat Thrusts, pushups, running in place and then punching bag.. You can get creating with it and do your own routine.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    1 minute punching combos, rest, burpees or pushups, start over. Do 20 times. Vomit. (people just don't know how draining it is to hit a heavy bag).