Bodybuilding and getting ripped

Options
Building muscle mass while losing fat. I have been doing both but progress is not consistant. Anyone else trying to do this? My issue is hunger overwhelms me when I lift heavy so I overeat. Feedback is desirable

Replies

• dlcjr
    Options
    If you are burning more working out, it's ok to eat more, as long as you are meeting your daily calorie goal.
  • Fallouts
    Options
    Over the last two years I've gone from 268lbs @ 23% body fat, down to 241lbs @ 13% body fat, the weight loss doesn't seem like much but during most of that time frame I was eating anywhere from 3500-4400 calories a day. How much food are you taking in a day? My daily meal was usually -

Breakfast - 5 scrambled eggs/turkey bacon/ wheat toast
    Lunch - Chicken Whole wheat wrap + salad
    After gym meal - 2 beef burritos
    Dinner - Pretty much anything as long as it didn't have too many carbs.
    * In between meals I'd usually have a protein shake, yogurt or almonds.

I knew what I was doing worked because my strength was increasing even though my face & waist were getting thinner. I started doing intermittent fasting last year and cut down to around 2600-3000 calories, weight has been steady but body fat is decreasing.

Do you do any cardio in addition to lifting? I've been doing sprinting + boxing routines and every once in a while I'll ride my bike when the weather permits. I stay away from steady state cardio.
  • FormerMarine1
    FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am working on that now, I do good for about 2 days then I start to get really hungry! Maybe not enough water? I do 4 days of cardio with 1-2 days of intervals. I burn anywhere from 700-1200 calories each workout. I hit each bodypart once a week hard. I am increasing strength and size but I eat like a horse!
  • sueb12345678
    sueb12345678 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you take protein after your work outs..
    It may just stop them hungry buggers...
  • FormerMarine1
    Options
    I will give a protein shake a try post workout.. thanks so much. Time to get to the gym!
  • FormerMarine1
    Options
    Yes! The protein worked!! Thank you
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Over the last two years I've gone from 268lbs @ 23% body fat, down to 241lbs @ 13% body fat, the weight loss doesn't seem like much but during most of that time frame I was eating anywhere from 3500-4400 calories a day. How much food are you taking in a day? My daily meal was usually -

I knew what I was doing worked because my strength was increasing even though my face & waist were getting thinner. I started doing intermittent fasting last year and cut down to around 2600-3000 calories, weight has been steady but body fat is decreasing.

Do you do any cardio in addition to lifting? I've been doing sprinting + boxing routines and every once in a while I'll ride my bike when the weather permits. I stay away from steady state cardio.

Nice going!

I tend to state away from SS CV, too. I've noticed I start getting flabby when I do it. :huh: HIIT is where it's at.

And my strength has been increasing, too, despite being on a (mild) calorie deficit.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

How tall are you? Hard to tell from your pics. I ask cos' I'm 5'9" and eating around 2500 most days to lose the fat whilst maintaining muscle and getting stronger. My BF% is considerably higher than where you started though, and I don't do any cardio, HIIT or SS. Bodyfat has dropped a lot since I started (though still way too high) but my weight has stayed exactly the same.
  • johnnyg211
    Options
    i have just started lifting weights last month and i do 12-30mins of cardio first so i am a "newbie" too and i see my wieght lost progressing....i take a protein drink right before my work-out (in my car at the gym) and another one/or i'll finish myfirst shake after my work-out...i burn half or close to have my calories inake each workout
  • Fallouts
    Options

How tall are you? Hard to tell from your pics. I ask cos' I'm 5'9" and eating around 2500 most days to lose the fat whilst maintaining muscle and getting stronger. My BF% is considerably higher than where you started though, and I don't do any cardio, HIIT or SS. Bodyfat has dropped a lot since I started (though still way too high) but my weight has stayed exactly the same.

I'm 6"1

Yeah when I started I just stopped focusing on the scale because it rarely moved, yet everyone told me I was losing weight, there was even a stretch where I gained weight and people commented on how much thinner I looked. My body fat was low for the weight I carried when I started, a lot of that is due to the fact I used to work out a lot before I got lazy.