Too much protein?

Options
Is too much protein a bad thing? I always seem to be over by 20 - 30 grams for my daily allowance by the end of the day...

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein as a minimum, not a maximum (assuming you don't have any health issues). 20-30g over is probably actually normal - you can change your macros in the "goals" tab from your home page.
  • falcon367
    Options
    NEVER! "Too much" protein is never a bad thing ... carbs and fats on the other hand ... well, that's a another discussion, but I never limit protein.
  • leanjenny
    leanjenny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great question! I was wondering the same thing!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about 20-30g over, esp if you're weight training. The only time you should worry about too much protein is if you have kidney issues..
  • Legend2point0
    Options
    High protein diets promote weightloss (atkins)

MFP presets with higher carbs because carbs = energy and that helps to lose weight too as long as your being active.

All in all it really doesnt matter carbs, protein, fats, lowered calories overall = weight loss
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    What do your other macros look like? Fiber, fat, cholesterol ect? If you are over on protein and under on those other nutrients you might want to adjust.

And no, the secret to weightloss isn't protein (as I"m sure someone will bring up on this thread). The secret is a healthy, balanced diet and exercise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are at the default MFP settings, they are incredibly low. Going over is a good thing (assuming no pre-existing kidney issues).
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    How many times today is this same thread with the same question going to pop up? Seriously, this is number 5 just today.
  • Legend2point0
    Options
    A preferred ratio would be 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fats

That is what I set mine too.

Go to Goals, Change Goals, Custom
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    IMO opinion, a better recommendation is to reverse engineer into the % based on g, body weight. and calorie target.

- 1g of protein per lb of LBM (1g of protein has 4 calories)
    - 0.35g of fats per lb of total body weight (1g of fat has 9 calories)
    - the above two should be minimums, and fill the rest in wherever.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Is too much protein a bad thing? I always seem to be over by 20 - 30 grams for my daily allowance by the end of the day...

The RDA for the U.S is around 0.8 Grams per Kilo of body weight. The World Health Organisation is even less. Despite this... lots of people seem to follow high protein diets to lose weight or gain muscle.

However, there is compelling evidence that high protein diets, particularly of animal fat, raises the hormone 'IGF-1'. High levels of IGF-1 are seen to proliferate cancer cells and is linked to accelerated aging. In addition, there is a correlation of high animal protein consumption with higher auto-immune and neurological diseases.

The human body, is regularly churning out cancerous cells, however our immune systems are normally extremely efficiently at dealing with them so they don't become malignant or harmful - until eventually our immune systems starts to become less efficient and this is normally occurs as we get older.

Raised levels of IGF-1 encourages the proliferation of cancer cells, so to cope the body's defences have to work harder.

On current evidence my advice would be:-

Before going on a high protein diet check out your bloods with a doctor - and in particularly your IGF-1 blood serum levels. You then have an objective measure.

If you insist on high protein levels - try to get most of the protein from plant rather than animal sources. Some studies have indicated that high IGF-1 levels are due to the different amino acid structure of animal protein compared to plant protein.

For anybody who is more middle aged or older I would not recommend going over the RDA at all.
  • camsmom0904
    camsmom0904 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great information!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    There is a video forks vs knifes (or forks over knives) that is on netfilx online that was recommended, I started watching it but the kids wouldn't let me finish.

Anyway, it goes over rates of cancer and heart problems based on animal protein vs plant protein. I would really like to finish it and it seems to make sense. Not sure if I will change a lot, but I like to at least get all the information.

I feel less lethargic and like I have a clear sense of hungry/full when I keep eating over my protein limits. Like my metabolism is really working, especially when I am at about 1500 calories a day.
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I feel less lethargic and like I have a clear sense of hungry/full when I keep eating over my protein limits. Like my metabolism is really working, especially when I am at about 1500 calories a day.

Interesting. Hunger pangs are controlled by a hormone called Ghrelin. Some research suggests that Carbs are actually better than protein (and then fat) in reducing Ghrelin levels for 3 hours after consumption. However, in the subsequent 3 hour period Ghrelin levels bounce back higher than before if only carbs were consumed. This suggests that may carbs satiate hunger the best - but one should mix them with protein in order to be satiated for longer.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/93/5/1971.abstract

In my view much of this also depends on the volume of food eaten for the calories obtained. For example, one needs to eat a great deal of salad in order to consume 300 calories - and this volume and additional fibre has a better ability to satiate hunger than the same calories consumed by a small muffin.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Interesting. Hunger pangs are controlled by a hormone called Ghrelin. Some research suggests that Carbs are actually better than protein (and then fat) in reducing Ghrelin levels for 3 hours after consumption. However, in the subsequent 3 hour period Ghrelin levels bounce back higher than before if only carbs were consumed. This suggests that may carbs satiate hunger the best - but one should mix them with protein in order to be satiated for longer.

In my view much of this also depends on the volume of food eaten for the calories obtained. For example, one needs to eat a great deal of salad in order to consume 300 calories - and this volume and additional fibre has a better ability to satiate hunger than the same calories consumed by a small muffin.

I agree with this. Eating proteins to try and stave off hunger did nothing for me. I'd feel more satisfied with a carb. Maybe everyone is different, but I had a high protein intake at one time and didn't lose an ounce and missed carbs. Now I eat them and I don't end up binge eating and I've gotten back to losing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The RDA for the U.S is around 0.8 Grams per Kilo of body weight. The World Health Organisation is even less. Despite this... lots of people seem to follow high protein diets to lose weight or gain muscle.

However, there is compelling evidence that high protein diets, particularly of animal fat, raises the hormone 'IGF-1'. High levels of IGF-1 are seen to proliferate cancer cells and is linked to accelerated aging. In addition, there is a correlation of high animal protein consumption with higher auto-immune and neurological diseases.

The human body, is regularly churning out cancerous cells, however our immune systems are normally extremely efficiently at dealing with them so they don't become malignant or harmful - until eventually our immune systems starts to become less efficient and this is normally occurs as we get older.

Raised levels of IGF-1 encourages the proliferation of cancer cells, so to cope the body's defences have to work harder.

On current evidence my advice would be:-

Before going on a high protein diet check out your bloods with a doctor - and in particularly your IGF-1 blood serum levels. You then have an objective measure.

If you insist on high protein levels - try to get most of the protein from plant rather than animal sources. Some studies have indicated that high IGF-1 levels are due to the different amino acid structure of animal protein compared to plant protein.

For anybody who is more middle aged or older I would not recommend going over the RDA at all.

Could you cite the sources of this evidence. Thanks.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    too many calories over what your body uses, whether it be fat, carbs, or protein, will get stored as fat....(at least thats what I heard)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

IMO this is far too simplistic of a study to come to these conclusions. Also, I could be wrong but some people are more susceptible to hormonal imbalances than others. In my sample of n=1 where n=me, I find protein more satiating than carbs immediately after ingested. I am not disagreeing that a mix of macros in not a good thing, just that the study itself is not that compelling.
  • suedocross
    suedocross Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I met with a sport nutritionist the other day and he said it is really good for your body to eat protein before you go to bed. He said that when you sleep your body utilizes protein and if it is not readily available it takes it from your muscles. Is this true or was he just trying to sell me protein shakes?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I met with a sport nutritionist the other day and he said it is really good for your body to eat protein before you go to bed. He said that when you sleep your body utilizes protein and if it is not readily available it takes it from your muscles. Is this true or was he just trying to sell me protein shakes?

Just trying to sell you protein shakes.