Recipe/ cooking ideas for Kale?

Options
Hi.. I have heard that Kale is really good for you, and I finally got my hands on some today - but now I am wondering what the hell do I do with it?? lol... how do you cook it? Is it better by itself or in a dish etc?? Any ideas would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cohophysh
    Options
    strip the leaves off of the stem in small pieces, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil mix well, cook at 350 for about 12-15 minutes and voila, you have kale chips...Also, you can add spices while you are mixing it...I usually just add a little salt.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I've sauteed it with garlic and tofu, soy sauce and chili flakes. The garlic tofu saute is also good with peanut sauce. I mix a tablespoon of peanut butter in the pan before I serve it. Additionally, I have done kale, mushrooms, and leeks and steamed it then tossed it all in all bowl with a little apple cider vinegar and red chili flakes.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love kale at the moment...

I often steam some if I'm steaming other veg.

It goes well in smoothies - I use about a cup of kale per smoothie.

And as a salad, try "massaging" it with avocado and a pinch of salt. The technique is just what it sounds like - you can look up tutorials etc. online, though. This softens the leaves and makes it suitable for a salad. Goes well with tomatoes, a squeeze of lemon and some green onions.

For all methods, remove the tough stems.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I bought Kale last weekend because it was cheaper than Romaine. I wanted to try it too. I ate the Kale for the first time today. I made sure to only eat the leaves and not the stem at all! It wasn't good by itself but once I put it in my salad with mushrooms, cauliflower, dressing, croutons, tomatoes (you get the idea), etc, it was very tasty!

I love it!
  • yngone
    yngone Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    LOVE baked Kale chips!
    very low calorie, great nutrition, and awesome when you've got the need for a crunchy crispy treat ! :bigsmile:
  • velmaisvelma
    velmaisvelma Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It is great sauteed in coconut milk. I had a friend that added onions and placed it over quinoa (spelling?)

I also cook Chinese rice stick and sautee it will Kale and bok choi, onions, bamboo chutes and eat hot. You can add shrimp if you like...