New to running....

Options
My thighs feel like someone took a meat tenderizer to them.

I assume I'm using muscles I haven't used in a while.

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes

It gets better. Are you stretching after your runs? You should stretch after running. Are you doing any cross-training on days you don't run?
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way after my very first run. Try shortening your stride. What's happening is that you're taking too long of a stride and are using your quads to PULL you forward. Make your steps more under you instead of in front of you. You'll notice a huge difference. Also make sure you're stretching adequately before and after your run!
  • Culley34
    Options
    Yes, and it gets better. The meat tenderizer comment made me laugh out loud.
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You could also experiment with a foam roller. It's a "good pain" but it helps. You can pick those up any sporting goods store.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You should also ease your way into it, don't try to go all out when you first start. Try a couch to 5k program, or something similar. Build up in intervals.

And stretch (or foam roll) after you run.

Also, make sure you are wearing good shoes, and not just good ones, but good ones for you. Go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes.

It does get better. Before you know it, you will be running marathons.
  • davegruper
    davegruper Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lots of resources for new runners. Look at the c25k (couch to 5k program) and the book Training Programs by Jeff Galloway. I started running years ago and it was difficult at first, but I am loving it more and more every year.
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Not only is it important to stretch after a run,but also before you run....It will get easier...
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way after my very first run. Try shortening your stride.

Was going to post the same thing. That made a world of difference for me. Google, "Good form running". Now Ive also read you dont stretch cold muscles. Walk 5-10 mins, then stretch, then run. Ive also read if you have to warmup to stretch, why would you stretch then? lol I just do an easy stretch before I start and attempt to do a good one afterwards if Im still alive.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • davenportk83
    davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What 35andrunning said.......exactly the same thing my husband told me. I recently started the Couch to 5K program, I am on Week 2. Since said husband went to college on a track scholarship I have to assume he knows what he is talking about :smile:
  • adaptingfitness
    Options
    Yep. I'm relatively new to it too, but I've fallen in love with it. It never gets "easier", you just get BETTER.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You could also experiment with a foam roller. It's a "good pain" but it helps. You can pick those up any sporting goods store.

Yes, it's a "good pain"....like having a baby.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes! But a week later it's already much better. I'm new to running, too. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is what got me into shape for running without me even knowing it!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You should also ease your way into it, don't try to go all out when you first start. Try a couch to 5k program, or something similar. Build up in intervals.

And stretch (or foam roll) after you run.

Also, make sure you are wearing good shoes, and not just good ones, but good ones for you. Go to a running store and have them fit you for shoes.

It does get better. Before you know it, you will be running marathons.
    ^ this ^
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Yes. Everything will hurt for a few weeks. Then it gets better. After a while, a few months or so, you will run far with no pain at all.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    INCREASE YOUR PROTEIN!

Use a rumble roller.

Stretch.
  • Culley34
    Options
    I really wish I could see the look on people's faces the first time they use a foam roller.

I found it to be the equivalent of some type of medieval torture. (BUT... it works).
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Do some yoga stretches. If your thighs hurt Children's Pose and Half Way Up pose are a god send.
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Stretchy stretch stretch!

Also, drink plenty of water to help flush out the lactic acid. :)
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

I've done Turbofire and a little bit of Insanity, but running has made me more sore than both of them lol
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I would for sure get a foam roller...that thing is a god send!!! It hurts like crazy, but you know its working