what you eat vs how much you eat

Options
does it matter WHAT you eat, or just how much (in calories) you eat? confused

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    calories are all that matters for weight loss.

better foods, less junk for over all health
  • lmeola18
    Options

This exactly
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options

This exactly

right there with you...
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    Everything is fine in moderation, a calories is a calorie but you want veggies, fruit, whole grain/wheat, meat, over junk.
  • Brendajo510
    Options

Lower Cal is definitely a good start!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's all about the calories. But do eat nutritious foods for your overall health.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Everything is fine in moderation, a calories is a calorie but you want veggies, fruit, whole grain/wheat, meat, over junk.

skip the whole grain wheat brainwashing and yes to the rest
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Depends on if you want to be healthy or not really... you need to make you sure get enough protein so you don't lose muscle while losing weight - obviously the healthier food you eat the better your overall health will be. And plus - healthy food is usually lower in calories so you get to eat more whilst losing weight :-)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

I completely disagree with the first statement.

I think the quality of your calories can greatly affect whether you lose weight or not. It's different for every person. If you're body is sensitive to carbs, obviously a low-calorie/high-carb diet is not going to be beneficial to you because your body is just going to convert all those carbs in to sugar and you're just going to maintain and/or gain. If you eat nothing but crap food, but you're still under on calories, you're going to be malnourished. You will lose weight, but you can expect a plateau eventually...and you'll most likely feel like crap, too.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    does it matter WHAT you eat, or just how much (in calories) you eat? confused

Yes it matters what you eat as well as how much. Whether you are cutting or bulking.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

This can be the case if you are under age 45, have no food allergies, are not taking any prescriptions (even birth control can change weight loss efforts) and are in good to excellent health. Unfortunately, for every rule there are always exceptions.

If you have food sensitivities or allergies, eating those foods will throw your metabolism off. Also, some foods are known to cause inflammation and create weight gain even when eating at a calorie deficit. Just keep switching up your strategy until you find something that works for you.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    the problem with making unhealthy choices is you may often choose empty calorie foods with little to no nutritional value, leaving you feeling hungry and reaching for more. if you make choices of lots of fresh fruits and veg you'll be getting the vitamins and nutrition you need as well as feeling satisfied.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

I completely disagree with the first statement.

I think the quality of your calories can greatly affect whether you lose weight or not. It's different for every person.

no it really isnt. every person who is in a caloric deficit will lose weight.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about the calories. I suppose you could eat a days worth of twinkies if you wanted to. You might not feel so great but I guess you could do it. The health part comes in handy but is not always necessary.
  • Leeannboswell
    Options

Yup, read this book, "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. Unbelievable!!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

^^ couldn't have said it better myself
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I'm curious... Care to elaborate? :smile:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether you want to be healthy or just lose weight...
  • jbmyer
    Options
    I can only answer for myself here. For me it does matter just as much what I eat. My body does not process a lot of grains well or sugary things, even some fruit. I have found I can consume a bit more calories when they are not from these foods and still lose weight a bit easier.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about the calories. I suppose you could eat a days worth of twinkies if you wanted to. You might not feel so great but I guess you could do it. The health part comes in handy but is not always necessary.

I wonder how long it would take to be completely sick of Twinkies, if that was all you ate?