Does it get better?

Options
I decided that after a looooooooong time without any exercise, it was about time to start again

First time I walked for about 20 minutes but my ten year old daughter was with me (we live in a cul-de-sac and we were doing laps on our road), encouraged me to start jogging. I started telling myself that I could for a little while, so I jogged the lenght of our road - about 150m, and walked back. I did it four times and I thought I was gonna die - but I did it! She wanted me to keep going, but I couldn't! I told her that the next day I was going to do 5 road lenghts instead of four, and she was happy with that!

So last night I had to do it. I ran five lenghts of of our road, run to the end and walk back

I am soooo unfit it's embarassing!

Does it ever get better?

I am proud of myself because I started! I am super motivated to keep going and for the first time in a long while I am making it a priority!

Replies

• fattypattybinger
    Options
    Sounds good. I should do that with my 9 year old daughter. I will try and walk more then start to jog lightly
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it does! You just have to keep up with it! Check out the C25K program...it's VERY similar to what you're already doing on your own!
  • mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It gets better if you find something you enjoy.
  • dancngdolfn
    dancngdolfn Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It does get better. I'm proof. I started out and i couldn't even run at all and that was 6 months ago. Now i'm running every other day from 2-4 miles and i ran my first 5K last weekend. It's a great feeling. You can do it just stay positive :).
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Of course it gets better, as long as you persevere and keep trying. :)
  • wizzlebee
    Options
    It does get better, and it happens quickly if you keep at it on a regular basis. Same goes for if you quit for a few days- you'll lose everything you've built up and have to start all over again. It's all about finding a routine that makes sense and works for you. Make your goals attainable and you'll be so amazed with what your body can do. Also, I love that your daughter is cheering you on! It helps so much to have someone tell you that you did great. Also, don't judge yourself by what others are doing or not doing. You be proud of you and you'll be so successful.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!
    It gets better.

I used the C25K program to start running last year. The first day called for 8 x 1 min intervals of running with walks inbetween. I could only manage 6 running intervals before I thought I was going to die.
    But, I kept going and did a little bit more each day and each week.

Two weeks ago (about 18 months since I started running) I finished my first half marathon. I still run slowly but I came in just under 2 hours 30 minutes which was my goal - and I'm really happy with that.

Truly, anything is possible (singing Paul Kelly's: "From little things, big things grow" under my breath....)!!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It gets better. You are young so it will get better -- soon .
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It will get better. Trust me, I am now starting to add more mileage on because of my asthma and weight. When i got cleared from having my 7 month old, i couldn't run a half mile. Well, i decided to sign up for a 5k that was in June. Guess what: i have ran 2 more since then, and have 2 more to go this month. It will get better :)
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    It absolutely does get better!

When I started running again a month and a half ago, my boyfriend and I would run up and down a street by him. It wasn't a very long street but I would have to stop a MINIMUM of 4 times to walk and my running length was abhorrent...and this was just one way.

Two weeks ago we went out on a longer run. At the end of it, I decided I had more energy. So I grabbed him and we hopped on over to that street. I ran it from one end to the other, NO walking breaks. I felt INCREDIBLE and so proud of myself. Even better was the fact that I wasn't gasping for breath after that run but I walked back anyways since I was supposed to be cooling down.

I KNOW you can do it...I remember having the same thought as you, and still now I have it, but I KNOW I can do it. Do what you can and remember that you get stronger with each step and every time you go out, try to run one step farther than the day before.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Apparently it takes 14 days to get rid of old habits and form new ones - you will be fine - just keep at it and eventually your day won't feel complete WITHOUT building up a sweat! :tongue: