New to running....

Options
2»

Replies

• DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes do you wear? I just recently got New Balance Minimus. I was having a major problem with shin splints. The shin splints are almost gone now. The Minimus shoes are amazing! You should look into it if you want to keep running with no pain. Also read the book "Born to Run". It's an excellent story and very interesting.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Bump. Sometimes it happens to me (if i run more then 2 miles, my legs, especially my thighs get really sore).
  • danimal5867
    Options
    Shortening your stride can also help prevent shin splints, achy knees, and sore heels. The idea is to stride so that you land more to the middle of your foot rather than heel first. The mid-foot strike takes a lot of the pressure off of the leg joints and allows your foot to move and flex more naturally.

Extra protein after your run is also great advice. I often grab muscle milk following my longer runs, especially if my supper is an hour or more away. Getting that protein immediately after your run allows the body to get started rebuilding and restoring the muscles after their hard workout.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Welcome to the jungle.

As a fairly new runner (started in Feb 2010) I can commiserate. A few pointers I found along the way:

- Start slow. It's easy to think you should go flying out of the gate doing 5:00/miles. You're better off to start with a slow jog and work your way up. It's also much more enjoyable rather than sucking wind after a quarter mile sprint.
    - By doing the above, your strides should shorten up so you're taking relatively short steps initially. Plenty of time to lengthen your stride later
    - Lots of water up to 2-3 hours before your run, it'll help with leg cramping
    - Stretch a lot. I still don't do this. Stretch before and after.

Best of luck. I've found it to be life changing, I don't feel right on days I don't run. It's one of the few times during the day I can truly call my own, and the feeling of accomplishment to hit a personal best for distance or pace is great.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes do you wear? I just recently got New Balance Minimus. I was having a major problem with shin splints. The shin splints are almost gone now. The Minimus shoes are amazing! You should look into it if you want to keep running with no pain. Also read the book "Born to Run". It's an excellent story and very interesting.

Side note: a shoe that works wonders for one person, may be the worst shoe in the world for you.

Shoes are very individual, and you should make sure you get one that works for YOU!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Side note: a shoe that works wonders for one person, may be the worst shoe in the world for you.

Shoes are very individual, and you should make sure you get one that works for YOU!

The way minumus shoes work is they promote a mid to ball foot strike, keeping you from a heel strike,which causes horrible foot,back and knee problems. A heavily cushioned shoe restricts your foot from naturally going into a mid foot strike. When you land on your heel you land heavily. It's very hard to land light footed on your heel. I've tried.

These shoes should work for most people. Look into it first and prove it for your self. Happy running!!!!!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    C25K (couch to 5K) is a reasonable way for new runners to ease into the sport without injuring yourself.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options

The way minumus shoes work is they promote a mid to ball foot strike, keeping you from a heel strike,which causes horrible foot,back and knee problems. A heavily cushioned shoe restricts your foot from naturally going into a mid foot strike. When you land on your heel you land heavily. It's very hard to land light footed on your heel. I've tried.

These shoes should work for most people. Look into it first and prove it for your self. Happy running!!!!!

Oh I am a big fan of minimal shoes, but if someone had recommended them to me when I first started, I don't think they would have worked well for me.

I am now in love with my very first pair of Vibrams, and I don't think I could ever wear a heavier shoe ever again.
  • MSxJENNY
    MSxJENNY Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    oh yeah! sometimes when I don't run for a few days & pick it up again, I would feel that way the next day! but it gets better.. you won't feel it as much.. & you know that you're working your muscles out!! :)
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You could also experiment with a foam roller. It's a "good pain" but it helps. You can pick those up any sporting goods store.
    And I think what he means by experiment with a foam roller is, don't run with it like you're in a light saber fight, but use it to lay down on AFTER your run. Essentially, you'll be on your back, rolling your hamstrings against the foam.
    :)
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Soreness is normal for beginners, intermediate, and advance runners, depending on the amount of push from day to day.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Take it slow all of the above suggestions are great but mine is enjoy this has turned out to be the most fun empowering thing I have done. We are on vacation needed to rent a car called hertz they offered to come pick me up said no thanks its only 3 miles from here will run up see you in a little while I could never have even imagined that only 6 months ago and I felt so good walking thru his door to pick up the car I got there on my own so as I said take it slow and enjoy it will pay you back for the effort in so many ways
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options

We're all an experiment of one. I'm glad the shoes work well for you and they will work well for many people. "Most", that's an arguable statement. The absolute "a heel strike causes horrible...problems" is, well, too absolute and not universal. Many people run injury free year after year in traditional shoes with a heel first contact.