Replies

• sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Whole grains contain protein :)
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Can I have your recipe for tuna tofu? I'm interested in trying tofu but it's intimidating! :)

sprouted firm organic tofu is so delicious (i love the texture) even raw in these kind of sandwich salad mixes. wildwood makes a good one, but i've even found my local safeway offers one from their organic line.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I freaking HATE cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. The only way I can stomach them is if I disguise them, like by blending cottage cheese with protein powder and a bunch of other stuff to make a protein shake, or by adding granola to Greek yogurt. But then I'm adding carbs and fat! I don't eat soy products because of all the plant estrogens...that stuff is NOT good.

I've been shooting for 40/30/30 macros and while I usually can get around 40% carbs, I generally end up with close to 40% fat and a measly 20% protein. I'm trying so hard to gain muscle and I don't know what else I can do, because I'm constantly chugging protein shakes and choking down protein bars. I'm starting to wonder if I can actually achieve the body I want without eating meat. I've been veg for 18 years now and the thought of eating meat again is terrifying.

you can. google "vegan body builders". there will be lots of good suggestions there.

Thanks! :smile:
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Something I have almost daily is veggies cooked with spaghetti sauce and cottage cheese. Right now my veggies are zucchini and peppers, I also often have a blend with broccoli carrots and cauliflower for my veggies. I make enough for leftovers and store it in single serve containers to cut down on cooking sessions.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Quinoa & Black bean salad (look up recipes)
    Edamame
    Add eggs to things like a veggie stir fry
    Lentils

Maybe add a whey protein smoothie to your usual day if you are consuming dairy?

If you still can't fit it in maybe you need to look at how many carbs you are eating and cut back just a bit to fit in protein
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Red Mills TVP (texturized vegetable protein) it takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking so you can add it to any recipe/saute pan and get a protein boost. Of course dairy, lentils (including peas!!!! they have more protein then a serving of peanut butter), tofu are also a good source. Good luck!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You need to eat two complimenting proteins when you're vegetarian because most plant sources do not contain a full profile of amino acids, thus they are 'incomplete' proteins.

Research from the past several decades has shown that you do *not* need to specifically combine proteins in a single meal, if you get protein from a variety of sources throughout your day, your body will handle the rest.

Sorry if I was not clear, I did not mean you have to eat them together in one bite and/or sitting, but you need to incorporate a variety of protein sources into your daily diet. Like just eating beans as your daily protein source is not sufficient.
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    Tofu!! Its so amazing I make tofu tacos, lettuce wraps and even a vegan lasagna. The trick with tofu so it has the consistency of ground meat is to dry it out and get firm or extra firm. I wrap mine in a paper towel and kitchen cloth for a couple hours before I use it then I add my seasoning. For tofu tacos I add taco seasoning with a little water and pan fry it with no oil and an onion in a nonstick pan until it browns up then I add black beans. Serve on a wheat tortilla with lettuce and tomato it's super yum. Same thing goes with the lettuce wraps I dry it out then add whatever Asian sauce you like with onion pan fry till brown add watercress and bean sprouts and serve on romain hearts with a chile sauce. The lasagna same dry it out mash it up so it looks like ricotta add lemon juice garlic powder, garlic salt ,and fresh basil and layer it up with lasagna noodles I offer put fresh spinach in the tofu mix as well. With all these recipes you wanna mash up the tofu so it looks like ground meat. You can also dice it up and put it in soups or grill it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Red Mills TVP (texturized vegetable protein) it takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking so you can add it to any recipe/saute pan and get a protein boost. Of course dairy, lentils (including peas!!!! they have more protein then a serving of peanut butter), tofu are also a good source. Good luck!

I was also going to say TVP. Though, I buy it in bulk bins, not the Bob's Red Mill. I'm not a vegetarian but I use it in my home made protein bars, have made vegetarian chili with it and have even used it as a sub for rice in a burrito to keep carbs down and increase the protein in it.
  • JessieMay90
    JessieMay90 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you guys! I have a lot of suggestions to go off now! I second the Tofu tuna salad recipe that sounds amazing. Also could anyone recommend a good vegan protein powder?
  • DinahCakes
    DinahCakes Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Tempeh. I super thin slice it, marinate it overnight in a little lite soy sauce and liquid smoke. In the morning my favorite breakfast is quick fry the tempeh slices and make a TLT (tempeh, lettuce, tomato) sandwich on Ezekiel bread.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Tofu is super low calorie and a great protein source. You can buy gmo-free organic if you wish it's really not expensive and pair it with veggies, bake it, fry it, whatever.

You can also add a protein shake for 100-150 calories as a snack to bump up your protein daily.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you guys! I have a lot of suggestions to go off now! I second the Tofu tuna salad recipe that sounds amazing. Also could anyone recommend a good vegan protein powder?

I use soy 100% from gnc it's gmo-free. Personally it's the best tasting I've had, I've tried vega and raw meal and they were super nasty even with fruit, the chalky mediciney taste was over powering