Stressing Out

Options
Ok, I just cheated. For the first time in 3 weeks. I cheated bad. bad bad bad. Will this ruin my diet? Will i gain back weight that i lost? Im so nervous i regret it so much! HELP!

Replies

• Culley34
    Options
    First of all, what did you eat / drink?

No, it won't sabotage anything. Don't weigh yourself tomorrow.
  • ar1ms
    ar1ms Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A brownie and a half, some gummy bears, some airheads, some pirates booty popcorn (like half the bag) ummm some multigrain pita chips and then i had special k cereal and i hate myself. this was within like a half hour..
  • Culley34
    Options
    You'll be fine. Stay away from the scale tomorrow.

Drink lots of water! Happy thoughts.

One day (or half hour) will not significantly impact anything.
  • ar1ms
    Options
    are you just being nice or will it really not ruin my diet? lol
  • Culley34
    Options
    I had like 5,000 calories worth of junk on Sunday and I hit a new weight loss low this morning. I'm serious.

To give you an idea, I had:

Buffalo chicken dip
    Nachos with melted cheese
    Goldfish
    Papa Gino's Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza
  • ar1ms
    Options
    ok thank you, i feel a littler better. i honestly have not cheated once until 10 minutes ago but i guess everyone has their highs and lows. should i hit the gym extra hard tomorrow or will that not make a difference?
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You didn't ruin it. You made a choice, but stay away from the scales. You don't need to beat yourself up.
  • Culley34
    Options
    No reason to go crazy at the gym. Your 60 minute workouts are plenty.

Drink tons (and I mean tons) of water. Carry a Nalgene or water bottle around with you all day. You should pee clear the entire day.
  • ar1ms
    Options
    why do i have to stay away from the scale if it didn't ruin my diet
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Because you'll likely have a bump up in your weight due to water retention and a bit more food than normal, but it's not permanent as long as you get back on track. Going off track from time to time is normal - it's all about how you recover and move on :)
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Having a day or even a half hour of eating way off your plan is not going to send you into high weight gain and totally ruin any improvements you have made to date. It's called an OOOOOPS day which is a normal day for whatever reason it happens. It's a HUMAN day. Which we all are by the way. That said. I've done it. Everyone here has done it, one way or another. I had it a few days ago. I had good old fashioned white bread at breakfast, and lunch and dinner. which led to 3 snack bags of chips, 3 glasses of wine, 2 granola bars, some chips and salsa, more chips and melted cheese, wheat thins and melted cheese, olives, pickles, more olives, and geesh I lost track after that. LOL It happens. My sodium was WAY up there that day and so was my weight the next day. 3 pounds worth. the day after the 3 pounds were gone again. I knew it would happen, I knew it would disappear again.

I don't stress the day to day oooops moments of eating. I stress when they become habit again and I'm mindless eating into the night again. One day does not break me. a week might hurt me. a month and I'm done for. ONE day is a day to take a breath, look again at the whys of it all and of self forgiveness. I'm human, I have emotions and stress and moments of life I wish I didn't have to deal with but I do.

I stand up, shake it off, and get myself back on track with the better eating and forgiveness for my "mistakes" in eating. It's the long term results I live for, not the day to day changes. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    One slip can only ruin your diet if you let it. DONT LET IT. You are wonderful, it sounds like you've been DOING wonderful, so forgive yourself for one mistake, breathe, and move on. Peace.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    A brownie and a half, some gummy bears, some airheads, some pirates booty popcorn (like half the bag) ummm some multigrain pita chips and then i had special k cereal and i hate myself. this was within like a half hour..

omg hahahha! you sound like me! aweful isnt it?!
  • Sandee2k
    Options
    I really like your response....it makes so much sense. I might just use it as a mentra for those times when I cave in to temptation. "I didn't ruin it, I made a choice". I think that would help me get back on track and not dwell on the damage that's been done. Fantastic! Thank you.
  • Julienetan
    Options
    Just go for a swim after you cheated and you will restore back your shape again
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    brush off the crumbs and climb back on the horse,,,,
  • emfischer90
    emfischer90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious post?
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

That's it ? Sounds like your over reacting.
  • Culley34
    Options
    As the other poster said - it's normal for your body to retain water from all of the salt that you took in with the popcorn and other foods -- which boost your weight for ~24 hours. A 24 hour detour is not an Oh, *kitten* -- back to square one moment.

Essentially, when you hit the body with salt, it wants to retain water to keep the body in balance, which shows up on the scale teh next day. Relax, it's water weight. You didn't all of the sudden just gain this weight back.

When there's more sodium than usual, the body goes into planning mode -- the same way if you eat too few calories -- it says, I need to slow down and preserve myself.

Drinking a lot of water helps the body flush out the junk from the food you ate, and also, allows your body to restore the balance of sodium levels. You might feel some stiffness in your knuckles tomorrow -- that's a sign of fluid retention. After a few bottles of water -- you should notice it start to lessen and around dinner time -- you should feel normal.
    why do i have to stay away from the scale if it didn't ruin my diet