Noob weight loss question...

Options
Hey! I'm kind of new to this whole counting calories, working out to lose wieght thing. I weighed myself recently and I had dropped 3 lbs from my beginning weight. I was excited, I know 3 lbs isn't much but it's a start. I weighed myself a few days later just because (I usually try to weigh once a week) And it says I gained it back or never lost it in the first place. I'm confused. Does this happen alot? What should I do better? Or dont' always trust the scale?
Thanks for the feedback!
-CC

Replies

• Brendajo510
    Options
    It can depend on different factors. I've seen my weight go up when I've had a large amount of sodium, but it dropped back down after a few days. Sometimes its better to take measurements instead. Depending on your weight, it could be that you've gained muscle. It could also depend on if that certain time of the month is coming up. Personally, I'd recommend measuring yourself and seeing if that is changing.
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Yeah, once a week will give you a more accurate number. Your weight naturally fluctuates from day to day, and it's possible you are maybe retaining water. It's hard to tell specifically, because I cannot see your diary :) Are you exercisiing? If you're new to that, it could also cause water retention.

Also, calorie-counting takes some getting used to, and you may be over-estimating your portions. Overall, take some time to understand what you are eating, and how much you're moving. The weight will come off eventually :)
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate so much even in a day, weigh once a week the same time of the day (most people first thing in morning after morning ritual, in underwear).

Ohhh and take measurements!!!! It took 4 weeks for the scales to start dropping for me but my measurements went down
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My advice: every time you weigh yourself, plot that weight on a chart. Don't focus on the little fluctuations between individual points; just look at the overall trend of the graph over a period of time (I recommend several weeks). Is it heading in a downward direction? If so, then great! If not, then you'll need to change something.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Always weight yourself at the same time of the day, once a week. Now note, I weigh myself a minimum of 4x a day, but there is only 1 day a week where I really let it count and effect me. Realize throughout the week and day your weight fluctuates. One thing also that I will recommend is up your fluid intake. This really helped me a ton
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    i weigh myself all the time, sometimes i weigh myself before and after activities to see how much ive lost from that activity.

however i only weight in every third day in the morning after toilet without clothes.
  • Frenchyken89
    Frenchyken89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! It is that time of the month so maybe that is it too... :-). I'll take measurements and plot it on a chart on my computer. That is a great idea! I'll try not to freak out when the scale goes up instead of down. Haha. And yes, I need to get a food scale or something to help with portions. I'm totally guestemating (SP) and thats bad but it's all i have ATM. Again, Thanks everyone for the input.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself all the time, sometimes i weigh myself before and after activities to see how much ive lost from that activity.

however i only weight in every third day in the morning after toilet without clothes.

Really? You weigh after activities to see how much weight you've lost? You do realise (I hope) that any loses would just be from water weight you've sweated I hope? Scales are deceptive and in my opinion not the best indicator of how your body is effected by reducing your calorie intake.
  • anthonyl87
    Options
    I weigh once a week, same day, before breakfast or drinking. sorry this may be tmi but if you have not had a decent b.m. lately that can make as much as a 2 lb difference, I have ibs which often comes with constipation and I know it certainly affects my numbers at times, I am supposed to take senakot every day but I find it makes me sick so I just take it the night before the day before I weigh in so I can clear out anything lingering lol sorry for that but if it's happening to you you will appreciate the info :)
  • sgraves0510
    Options
    I have a quick question...Do calories rollover from day to day...? LOL That would be nice. :laugh:
  • schelli226
    Options
    Yes, if you are under you can roll your calories over, and track that your 2 day total is correct. Fitness pal will show you are over the second day, but that is just a web site total. It is a good idea to eat a little more one day and a little less another to keep your body confused and from going into starvation mode. A 100 -200 calroie variation is enough. Say if you are ona 1200 calorie plan, you will do 1100 Monday and Wed, but 1400 on Tues. because you have a dinner out or something.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have a quick question...Do calories rollover from day to day...? LOL That would be nice. :laugh:

I wouldn't take it to the extreme, as in. Only have 500 one day then eat 2500 the next day to make up for it. But I think it's fine it eat a bit extra the following day if you under eat the preceding day. I personally think your weekly calorie intake is the more important figure than your daily intake. At the end of the day if your eating at a deficit you will loose weight.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    To really measure your progress, take photos and measurements. Especially if you are exercising. If you are doing strength training, you can gain up to 10 pounds of water as your muscles adjust to the new routine.

Your weight will vary as much as 3-5 per day, so the weekly weigh in is good. But be sure to look for other changes which may not be weight related. Good luck.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options

Some do and some don't. Some people do an average for the week, But it's better to stay focused on a day. That's part of how MFP works.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Women have alot of physical issues us guys just don;t have. Like retaining water at "that time of the month, etc" watch the salt intake and such, could have something to do with it. And heck 3 lbs is a good start don;t kid yourself. Just keep trying, I like ti think of losing wieght as a "lifstyle change" and a long journey to good health.

Have you read or seen "Forks over Knives"? take a look it's a good read and an even better movie.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options

Really? You weigh after activities to see how much weight you've lost? You do realise (I hope) that any loses would just be from water weight you've sweated I hope? Scales are deceptive and in my opinion not the best indicator of how your body is effected by reducing your calorie intake.

I do... because its the only way i can justify the physical pain i get from any and all exercise.

and tbh i meant before and after ahem toilet uses... but i didnt want to be graphic.

were all mad in our own... special... ways
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm kind of new to this whole counting calories, working out to lose wieght thing. I weighed myself recently and I had dropped 3 lbs from my beginning weight. I was excited, I know 3 lbs isn't much but it's a start. I weighed myself a few days later just because (I usually try to weigh once a week) And it says I gained it back or never lost it in the first place. I'm confused. Does this happen alot? What should I do better? Or dont' always trust the scale?
    Thanks for the feedback!
    -CC

Exactly why you should only weigh-in the day after a rest day.

Otherwise all too easy to show false weight loss and gain.

And don't eat high sodium on the rest day.