How to eat in school?

Options
So i'm a senior and i'm always rushing to get to one class to another i'm usually busy and when i do eat i just get whatever i see.
I want to loose weight but idk what to eat on the run.
i need something that will keep me full longer. And i need food that's easy to make in the morning and wont get soggy by the afternoon
I will take any advice thank you (:

Replies

• Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    make healthy choices at your school's lunch?
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I eat a peanut butter sandwich almost everyday :D
    Sometimes a banana too
  • Marlene1995
    Options
    Lunch food isn't that healthy ...most of the times its frozen and like nasty looking
  • lorihurst
    Options
    Have you heard of the BodyByVi meal replacement shakes? The 'cake that taste like a cake mix'. I eat one or two a day, super easy, taste great and I've lost 21lbs so far. It's also nice knowing I'm getting good nutrition when I'm in a rush or don't feel like preparing a meal.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the BodyByVi meal replacement shakes? The 'cake that taste like a cake mix'. I eat one or two a day, super easy, taste great and I've lost 21lbs so far. It's also nice knowing I'm getting good nutrition when I'm in a rush or don't feel like preparing a meal.

A high school senior doesn't need over priced soy shakes.
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    Pack your lunch and bring it with you. I don't know about your high school, but at mine we got one break in the middle of the morning and then lunch time. So, pack a lunch box with stuff like a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, carrots with peanut butter, a piece of fruit, greek yogurt (don't forget a spoon), crackers, etcetera. That way, if you get the time for a snack, you can have that and then still have lunch!

If I was forced to go back to high school (LAWL they would have to drag me at gun point and even then I'd struggle), no way I'd eat the food they served. It was gross. Can't believe I lived with that stuff for four years. :noway:
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I take a cup of nonfat yogurt with a cup of frozen blueberries in it to school every day. I buy the big Nancy's fat free plain and add splenda. I just drain the liquid from it and it becomes a greek yogurt which I like more. The yogurt is just fine by lunch. I also pack oranges and Sunbelt low- fat granola bars. Low fat sandwhiches are good too, lean lunch meat, lettuce and low fat or fat free cheese is yummy too. If you're putting condiments on it put it between the lettuce and meat so it isn't soggy. A small bagel with light cream cheese with a piece of fruit is always super easy.

For breakfast everyday I have yogurt and fruit. I love it. Super easy, quick, and sweet. The protein holds me over until lunch. If you have extra time a mashed banana mixed with 4 egg whites cooked like a pancake is really yummy too. I top mine with sugar free syrup and fat free cool whip! Delicious!

Good luck!
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I take a bunch of snacks with me to university. I mix it up a bit, but the usual items are:
    - plain or Greek yogurt with frozen berries mixed in
    - almonds
    - a hard boiled egg (often with dukkah)
    - carrot sticks with hummus
    - an apple.

No, it's not exactly a meal, but it's healthy, varied, and I can munch on something between (or during, depending on the class) classes. I spread it across the day and it suits me perfectly.
  • skinny_cigarettes
    Options
    healthy cereal bars (they're really good to grab in the morning for a snack during school or something) the good ones are under 100 calories too, carrot/sweet red pepper/celery with hummus or even this black bean dip that you get from trader joe's i think (i've heard it's great and i live in australia so i haven't tried it), yogurt with berries or apple maybe even some toasted muesli but put the yogurt and muesli in separate containers or the museli goes soggy :) hope that helped!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Marlene, I would suggest something I've tried myself. Luna bars are loaded with nutrients, come in many flavors, and can be purchased at the local supermarket. And they're small enough to be in your backpack.

My favorite one is the Lemonzest bar. If you wish to purchase online, it's www.luna.com
  • cblevitron
    Options
    nutrition bars
    yogurt (greek is packed with protein)
    fruit
    vegetables
    pb&j
  • Marlene1995
    Options
    All of these suggestions re great .
    Thank you so much ......Now its time to go grocery shoppng
    I think i will stick with vegies, granola bars, greek yogurt, and lean sandwhiches .
    any other suggestions would be great ....(:
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    I toast some bread in the morning, let it cool, then put it in a box with some seasoning on it with 2 boiled eggs.
    When it comes to lunch time just shell the eggs and go.

Inbetween main meals a small homemade muffin and a piece of fruit for morning tea & again for afternoon tea.
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I hve just started packing lunches for work for myself and my husband - they are delicious, healthy, cheap and keep me full. On Sunday morning I prep lunchbox fillers and if something runs out during the week I make a different one to replace it. The rule for me when doing weight loss is to keep variety. If I bore myself with food I slip. Here are a few examples of current fillers.

1. Green or Black Lentil Salad. Boil up green or black/puy lentils (I also do it using a can of lentils if I want to speed it up).. Make a dressing with a little honey, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil pepper, salt...whatever you like and add to lentils. I always add chopped lemon zest to give it a really fresh zing.. I add a little chopped chilli sometimes. Add chopped spring onions...in fact add whatever appeals - I like chopped red peppers - you could add corn..whatever. Basically this is a delicious fresh, zingy base for a salad and you can vary it . If you have a dressing you like try that instead.

2. Carrot and Coriander Salad. Grate carrots, add some raisins if you like. Add some toasted (on a dry pan) pumpkin seeds. Make a french dressing and add a little of that. Add some grated orange rind and juice of an orange and some chopped Coriander (Cilantro).

3. Waldorf salad. Combine chopped celery, apple and a few chopped walnuts and add a little light mayo and mix.

4. Roasted peppers.

5. Homemade hummus - you could take a few sticks of raw carrot, celery, peppers with this.

These are just a few examples, but if I have at least 3 at a time it gives me a very good base for a lunchbox, with such a variety of flavours and textures that it is really enticing to eat and keeps me away form the wrong things. I might add a little left over tandoori chicken, smoked salmon, a boiled egg, tinned tuna...whatever I have. You can really do this as cheap as you want. Sometimes I take bread but only a little as I am trying to keep my bread intake down.

I enjoy food and making it - but even if you don't like prep this is basically chop and mix stuff. If you are inventive and just put stuff together that you like you should be able to invent more. If you start by making 3 and add one every few days it should keep you stocked for the week.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I always pack my own lunch as I have a half hour break and the choice of food is a nearby cafe which sells grease filled bacon/sausage sandwiches and toasties or crisps and chocolate from the break room vending machine!

I usually do houmous on wholewheat bread with salad, a pack of crisps & a yogurt or cereal bar.
  • smiler_1987
    Options
    I would take a salad or pasta in a container and some tuna/ham in another to put together when you want to eat!

Do the same with chopped up fruit and a yoghurt :)

Even having a sandwich and eating half between each lesson. If you're gunna eat carbs do it during the day and you'll burn them off before the night!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave at school?

What I do, is cook all my lunches for that week on the Sunday.
    I will do a massive cook of either beef stirfry with veggies and brown rice, or apricot chicken with brown rice and veggies.
    If I didn't have a microwave, I would probs just have a salad wrap with chicken and veg.

Then I can just grab them on the day and go.

For snacks, I will have organic nuts, strawberries, bananas, apple, etc.
  • JuanaViviane
    Options
    I eat apples, carrots, pepper and 1 pot quick oats with strawberry :)
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions on here....I sometimes make cous cous up with some stock, spices, walnuts, dried apricots, feta etc....whatever I have and that's made a good packed lunch because it gets less soggy.