Can you have too much protein?

Options
I am a bit confused about how much protein you can have or should have? It's easy enough to find out what carbs you should or shouldn't have, the levels you need and how much. But as a woman trying to lose some weight, i know too much of something is never good. Could anyone tell me if the below typical daily menu is too much or too little protein, or even not enough of something else...a bit of guidance would be awesome. Just a note, i try to avoid bread, pasta and potatoes as I find them too bloating - i will occasionally have rice.

So typical day when I am prepared is as follows:

05.30am insanity workout
06.30am: whey protein shake made with water or two boiled eggs
11am: banana/protein shake
1.30pm: 1/2 bowl of soup with two rice cakes or turkey/tuna with a green salad
4pm: protein shake with water
7.30pm: steamed fish with green vegetables and 1/2 grapefruit...

any thoughts or advice would be great. I am currently doing my first round of insanity and need to lose around 30lbs.

Thanks x

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you're a normal, healthy person, no. Just stay away from amino acid supplements and make sure to eat a variety of protein sources.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes come in a variety of protein contents. What is your total for the day? I really doubt your having too much protein, but it might be better to have more diverse protein source rather than 3 protein shakes each day.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: Eat 1g of protein for every pound you weigh.
  • ankayjohnson
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing. I've only been on here for 3 days, and I've exceeded the recommended protein intake every day. I thought high protein, low carb was a good thing!
  • TamaraRR
    TamaraRR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    .8g per kg of body weight, or 10-35% of your diet. If you get too much protein it can harm your body.(excessive amounts)
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    Options
    My husband told me 1g for every pound of your lean body mass, however going to 1g of your total weight should be fine. And like previously posted, you should try to get your protein from a variety of sources, not just protein shakes. Chicken, fish and eggs are the best sources that are also low in calories...at least that I've found.
  • littlemissmo83
    littlemissmo83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    so many responses, thanks so much.

the protein shake I use has the following breakdown per scoop. It's from Holland & Barrett. I also take the following supplements:

AM: 2000mg of CLA, 200g Green tea 200g chromium 1000mg vitamin c and 1x extra strength multivitamin
    PM: 2000mg of CLA

Product Information

Each(27g)serving contains:
    Energy 431kJ and 103kcal
    Protein 20.5g
    Carbohydrate 3.1g
    of which sugars 2.3g
    Fat 0.8g
    of which saturates 0.4g
    Fibre 3.9g
    Sodium 0.175g
    Amino Acids per 100g:
    L-Alanine 3.4g
    L-Lysine 7.3g
    L-Arginine 1.9g
    L-Methionine 1.7g
    L-Aspartic Acid 8.1g
    L-Phenylalanine 2.7g
    L-Cysteine 2.1g
    L-Proline 3.7g
    L-Glutamic Acid 12.4g
    L-Serine 3.2g
    L-Glycine 1.3g
    L-Threonine 3.6g
    L-Histidine 1.6g
    L-Tryptophan 1.5g
    L-Isoleucine 4.0g
    L-Tyrosine 2.4g
    L-Leucine 8.5g
    L-Valine 3.5
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 150g+ per day, every day, for around 2 weeks. Granted, I'm 240lbs... but I've only had positive results. Except for gas. Eating as many eggs, steaks, and almond milk whey protein shakes as I've had.... it gets worse than a morgue with broken air conditioning sometimes.
  • littlemissmo83
    littlemissmo83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 150g+ per day, every day, for around 2 weeks. Granted, I'm 240lbs... but I've only had positive results. Except for gas. Eating as many eggs, steaks, and almond milk whey protein shakes as I've had.... it gets worse than a morgue with broken air conditioning sometimes.

brilliant! I wondered what the lingering fog was in London :wink:

I think it's important to get good quality protein, how do you find the almond milk in your shakes. That sounds like such a nice idea. I wanted to avoid the lactose so been mixing with water, however perhaps an almond/coconut milk might be better perhaps? x
  • ShaneOSX
    Options
    Rule of thumb: Eat 1g of protein for every pound you weigh.
  • Abaiz
    Abaiz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also consider using a rapidly absorbing protein shake after your workout and a slow release protein shake in the middle/end of the day.

I personally use Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60, its a mouthful huh? They have it at GNC and its pricey, about 75 a tub. But if you are counting calories one scoop is 93 calories and contains 20g of protein. Later in the day, usually a hour or so after dinner I have a scoop of BSN Syntha 6, which has a slow release protein to feed your muscles as you sleep.

I've also found that mixing it up like that with two types make them easier to take. When I was taking one protein all the time the taste really started to get to me.

Good luck!