Is *Starvaton Mode* real?

Options
2»

Replies

• wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this. If you can get by eating 500 calories and lose weight unhealthy or eat 1500 calories and lose weight healthy which would you choose?

Everyone is different as is every body type. What works for you may not for another, what works for you now may not in a few weeks. The more weight you have to loose the easier it is to lose usually too.

Recently I set my goal at .5 pounds which gave me a goal of 1500 calories a day, like I said in my previous post. I added in some chia, flax, coconut oil and healthier items I had avoided because of calorie content, even more whole grains. When I am at this level I can almost feel my furnace burning. I am on track to lose more now than before! I can't remember when I faithfully ate this many calories, I was a habitual meal skipper. Now I eat early to late and the only thing missing for me is the feeling of being weighed down and lazy. I have energy, I can keep at my routines longer and push it harder. I have an actual feeling of full and hungry I don't remember having EVER. If it has been 3 hours I am ready for something. OFten I will snack on unsweetened coconut or yogurt :) When they say to listen to your body, I think you have to train your body to expect food. and nutritious food at that. I finally feel like I know what they talk about when they say people's metabolism burns at different levels.

Try it, eat healthy for 3 weeks, even if you gain, see how you feel and adjust for you accordingly. It seems when I started on here 3 weeks seems to be the going number for your body to reboot? Not sure why :) Try to cut out white sugar and flours though. I can be honest and say I never really did much with them. I can't imagine if you get 500 calories you are addicted to them either, most are pretty high up there.

edited because I forgot what I said in a previous post, it's late in MN?
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    real simple, I plateaued at 52 pound loss for over month. just accessed this site last week which showed how much I was deprived and have made sure I'm eating enough...............should be several pound loss when I weigh in tomorrow
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "starvation mode" I think that term gets thrown around a lot here.

Sure you will lose weight eating 500 calories. Is that healthy? NO!

And a lot of that weight loss will be from your muscle mass.
  • sharon1dunne
    Options
    Agreed, very informative.

Thank you
  • AustinMcKenna1030
    Options
    I haven't done my own research on this but I have experience with it. When I was pregnant with my first child I was extremely sick. I ate plenty but it wouldn't stay down. This went on for months. I could finally hold food down when I was around 6 1/2 months pregnant. I put on 50 lbs in 3 months even though I ate exactly as I always had (not exactly healthy meal plans). My metabolism was insanely different as soon as it got ahold of food again it wanted to store :). So no matter what label you put on it it's real!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What people don't understand is that starvation mode or survival mode isn't some wacky scare tactic from the "diet industry." It's a biological response that KEEPS US FROM DYING during times of famine. It's how our ancestors survived crop failures and hard winters. Our bodies slow down in response to lack of fuel to conserve resources. Our bodies don't continue to lose weight at the predicted rates of one pound per 3500 calories when in prolonged states of famine. And our bodies don't know the difference between a genuine famine and the voluntary famine of a diet.

Starvation mode doesn't make you gain weight. But it makes losing weight more difficult than it should be. So it's best to avoid it. Just eat right. It's more enjoyable and gets you better results.
  • Boodersboy
    Options
    I read somewher that if you do two days a week of fasting, not back to back, (approx 500 calories from food) and drink plenty of water, then eat healthy with a good balance of protein to carbs you will lose a steady amount of weight and become healthier in the long term. I'm going to give this a go as it seems pretty easy to me!!

I reckon if you think like a hunter gatherer and only eat food you could hunt or harvest and only drink liquid you could get from natural sources then you'll get healthier and lose weight, it's all the processed food and sugar we eat and drink that is making us fat and unhealthy, that;s what I reckon anyway:smile:
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism can change based on how many calories you eat.

However, the term "starvation mode" suggests something more dramatic than what actually happens in reality, and the term is thrown about way way way way too much.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    On an 800 calorie diet for 12 weeks resistance training led to a higher metabolic rate per lean body mass than aerobic exercise and no decline in RMR.
    http://www.jacn.org/content/18/2/115.full

F2.small.gif