My Calorie Count

Options
Hello, sorry if this is stupid but I am a bit confused. My goal for cal is 1850 per day. Addding tonight's dinner I am over the 1850 but still in the green as I have exercise calories. Does that mean I have used some exercise calories in food. My net should be the same or less than my goal right if I don't want to eat my exercise caalories?

With my goal being 1850, has MPF already taken some cal off that so if i hit 1850 I am still in a weight losing situation? I read somewhere they take 500 off or something so your goal accounts for that 3500 cal off in a week.

I hope this makes sense, not sure how to word it and in a rush. thanks for your patience.

Calories Remaining

Goal 1850

Food 2108

Exercise - 575

= Net 1533

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If you net 1850 you'll be on target to lose.

So target is 1850, you eat 1850, you then work out and burn 300 cals, you can eat those 300 if you want to giving you a net of 1850 and still lose*

*loss is rarely linear. Some weeks you lose a lot others none at all. That is just life as a (weight) loser.
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Take a proper diet so that it cover in food. then your calories will be maintain i.e 1850.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Morning Steven

I believe the rule of thumb is that it takes 3500 calories to gain a lb in weight, so if you are set to lose 1lb a week then your calorie goal will have a 500 calorie deficit (500 x 7 = 3500). So if you are set for 2 lbs a week then it's a 1000 calorie deficit, the easy way to see what your deficit is, just change your settings to maintenance which is your calorie goal to stay the same weight look at tomorrows diary and note the difference.

As far as eating exercise calories, you will get different views on that as we are all different and eating them or not. I did eat mine back and my weight loss slowed down, I now eat to my goal and the weight started moving again. I see you are still fairly new to this so I would suggest you eat your exercise calories for a few weeks and see what happens to your weight, if you are still losing then keep at that if it stalls then adjust to see what works. It needs to be a few weeks at each setting to give a true indication of what is happening.

If you want extra support/motivation feels free to add me.

Andy
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    Thanks all, so if my target is 1850 and I eat 2109 I am over and eating my calories burned that day, so still under but not as under as I could be if i just hit my goal of 1850 and nothing more. Each time I complete the day it says I was under and i am losing weight but I was just wondering if I could be any more under. To do that I need to exceed 1850 right?
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    If you net 1850 you'll be on target to lose.

So target is 1850, you eat 1850, you then work out and burn 300 cals, you can eat those 300 if you want to giving you a net of 1850 and still lose*

*loss is rarely linear. Some weeks you lose a lot others none at all. That is just life as a (weight) loser.

I will have eaten 2109 today and still need to ad tonight's walk. My net MUST show as 1850 at the end of the day then?
  • jeremy_jj13
    Options
    calories are a measurement of energy to heat 1 gram of water by 1 degree celcius , simply put if you hit your 1800 a day calorie count but work out 300 calories worth in a workout then realistically you only hit a 1500 count and have 300 left for your day.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    So I should be easting 1850 a day but by end of today i will have eaten 2109 (unless I eat less later). So I will have eaten exercise calories?

Sorry I must sound like an idiot but I'm not honestly! Have you ever had to declare you're not an idiot? it makes you look like one straight away. Anyway, I am not.

My goal is 1850. So far I will have eaten 2109 by end of day but my exercise says I am in the green by 300+ I have eaten some exercise calories right but I am still on track. End of every day always says I am under my allowance and I am losing.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    yes you will have eaten exercise calories, and that's a good thing
    fuel the engine
    you don't have to hit zero. some people say give or take 100 is ok
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    Cool, so aat the momet I am in the green by 317 I think (if I remember correctly) another walk will take me to 500+. thats on track right? Also has MPF already taken 500 cal off my quota?
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes mfp has reduced your cal.s by 500 a day per pound yuou sai you wanted to loss.
    You may not want ot eat all your fitness cals back as MFP seems to estimate them a little higher than some other systems.