Only 1lb off this week and feeling disappointed

Options

Replies

• jozzler
    Options
    You need to be realistic about weight loss. It's a long hard road, and if you set your goals too high, you're gonna land with a bump and feel disappointed. Every loss should be celebrated, no matter how small, it's all in the right direction. We all have good and bad weeks, if it was that easy, none of us would be here!! Everybody's body is different, just because one person lost 10lb in their first 2 weeks doesn't mean to say you will. I'm weighing myself once a month, some might say that's too long, but it works for me so i don't get obsessed with standing on the scales. I separate my weight loss into 7lb chunks, when one's gone i'm onto the next, another goal reached, it breaks up the total amount that i have to lose, so that i'm not overwhelmed with the big loss i need to make! Keep going, you're doing fab.
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    I haven't been taking measurements but I plan to buy a tape measure this weekend and start! DH says he is already noticing a difference in me around my face and waist but I'm not noticing a difference in my clothes yet so I think measuring would be useful for me.

I Would say I'm quite big (UK size 20) but would never expect to lose double digits in a week. I thin water retention may be a problem so although I only really drink water I'm going to really focus on upping the amount I drink to see how that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone - this site is so supportive it's great. I haven't really told anyone I'm 'on a diet' so it's nice to be able to talk about it and hopefully people will start noticing a difference soon!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's incredible u lost anything at all during Tom... Wow
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    Am I right in saying I should be eating as close to my goal as possible? So if my goal is 1400 calories then I should be aiming for my NET calories to be as close to 1400 as possible? At the moment I'm consistently under so maybe that's not good either?
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You should try and net as close to you daily goal as possible, so if you workout and burn 400 cals you should be eating about 1,800 cals x
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    That's what I thought. And I totally haven't managed it yet - I'm consistently under - especially on days I go swimming when I burn a lot of calories (I swim breaststoke steadily for an hour and do about a mile in that time but I'm aiming to get faster!).

So obviously I don;t want to make up the calories eating junk food so do I just eat bigger portions of the healthy stuff?! Getting your head round it all is HARD!
  • bonzhai10
    Options
    I'm still very new to MFP and the whole calorie counting thing. I started about 2.5 weeks ago now. The first weigh in I did was last Friday and I'd lost 5lbs which I was very happy about. Did my 2nd weigh in this morning and I've only lost a further 1lb and I'm feeling disappointed.

I expected more to come off in the first week so wasn't expecting 5lbs again but I was hoping for 2lbs as all my numbers in MFP are set up for a steady 2lbs a week weight loss.

My calorie goal is 1400 and I have been exercising every day (swimming twice a week, wii fit for between 30mins - 1 hour every day and the 30 day shred every day for past week). I have consistently ended the day under my overall calorie goal.

I've been eating very healthily, have increased my intake of fruit and vegetables and have been taking multivitamins and iron as well as calcium supplements every day. My only junky food has been a little bit of chocolate on 2 of the days when my calories were way below goal and I just ate a small amount.

I drink only water most days (no tea or coffee and only the occasional diet coke when I take my Grandad to the pub). I have been struggling to drink full 8 glasses a day though working on this.

I started out at 19st 8lb (274 lbs) and am now 19st 2lbs (268lbs) and am around 5'7.

Should I be concerned that this week is just a 1lb loss instead of intended 2lbs or just chalk it up to a bad week (though I thought I'd done well?!). I really would like to achieve my goal of 2lbs a week loss and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice/tips?

your 1st 5 lbs lost was only your water weight. Don't be discouraged if you lose only 1 pound.....what i learned is that 1-2 lbs of weight lost is healthy and is ideal. You should celebrate each time you lose weight...at least you are not gaining!
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    This is true! I am pleased I've lost honest!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You should build in a rest day, where you do no exercise more strenuous than light walking, at least one day a week. Then, make your weekly weigh in the next morning. After exercise, our bodies hold onto fluid in our muscles. You should have a rest day anyway to help your muscles repair themselves--that's how you see results.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought. And I totally haven't managed it yet - I'm consistently under - especially on days I go swimming when I burn a lot of calories (I swim breaststoke steadily for an hour and do about a mile in that time but I'm aiming to get faster!).

So obviously I don;t want to make up the calories eating junk food so do I just eat bigger portions of the healthy stuff?! Getting your head round it all is HARD!

A handful of nuts or a spoonful of peanut butter etc... are healthy options that are not too filling but will bump your cals up, without making you feel too full! i eat 6 times a day also, I think my dairy is open if you wanted to take a look

I aim for 1,600 cals a day and I am losing (on average only about 2lbs a months but a los is a loss and slow and steady wins the race) x
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    You haven't lost "only" 1lb. You've lost one, hefty pound of fat!

mypetfat.jpg
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    It's incredible u lost anything at all during Tom... Wow

This^^^
    I usually gain 2 or 3 pounds that week, but it is just water retention and will be gone the next. You will probably see at least a 2 pound drop in a week from now...

Am I right in saying I should be eating as close to my goal as possible? So if my goal is 1400 calories then I should be aiming for my NET calories to be as close to 1400 as possible? At the moment I'm consistently under so maybe that's not good either?

yes, get to 1400 NET at the MINIMUM. With the amount you have to lose, eating less than that will have you feeling tired, starving, crabby, getting headaches, etc. Then you are more likely to fall off the wagon and eat a pile of crap food...you need to MEET your goal to ensure that you are getting adequate nutrition.

Also, I agree with those that have said weight loss is not linear, 5 pounds one week and 1 the next is STILL an AVERAGE of 3 pounds per week and THAT is the number that counts. As time goes on, you may even see a week where it goes UP, but it is normal. Our bodies retain water at different times throughout the month, it will be gone the next week, no biggie. It's the overall downward trend over time that matters. If your AVERAGE since you started ever gets below 1 pound per week, then you need to start thinking about what to change as you might be hitting a plateau....until then, keep it up!
  • athanri
    athanri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Take it as a positive that your dissapointed that you only lost 1lb. Its a winning attitude but be careful not to be too hard on yourself.
  • Cathyt25
    Options
    I know how you feel...I lost 5llb last week and then NOTHING this week. I measured myself Hips/Waist/Bust and have lost a cm this week......over the last 2 weeks lost an average of 3cm all over so I'm reasonably happy with that.

I can also recommend the before mentioned app Couch to 5K...it eases you in slowly and definitely improves your fitness...free for Android.
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    You haven't lost "only" 1lb. You've lost one, hefty pound of fat!

Wow that picture is gross! But helpful and I do get the point so thanks :)
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You are doing a great job. I lost big in the beginning 14lbs in two weeks then nothing for a month. I was like you and very disappointed and ready to give up. My MFP's encouraged me to keep going. I have, and now the scale is moving again. Your body is adjusting to the changes you are making. Keep at it and your body will catch up. 6lbs is nothing to get upset with, just give it time. Don't concentrate so much on the scale take your measurements and this is most likely where you will see most of your changes. Hang in there you can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    OK STOP STOP STOP!!!!

Lets just stop for a second and look at the bigger picture. You have lost a whopping 6lbs in 2 weeks!!!!! Thats huge. If you had lost 3lbs in your first week and 3lbs in your second week you wouldnt be writing this post would you.

Just keep doing what your doing

:)
  • plinkityplonk
    Options
    Thanks everyone - feeling much better about it now. Very supportive!

I do know it's not going to come off overnight and that slow and steady wins the race - I totally agree with that. Thanks for putting in perspective for me.

Going to buy some peanut butter and nuts in this weeks shops to help me hit the goal calories. I have been feeling tired this week so I think that coming under my goal may not actually be helping me. Thanks!
  • SovanJedi
    SovanJedi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Nah, don't be disillusioned. Take every day as a fresh new goal and wipe all the previous week's achievements (and disappointments) clean from your mind - that way every little bit of weight loss you achieve is one step closer to your goal. You sound as though you're doing everything by the book so you will resume weight loss on a larger scale again soon. Keep up the good work!

My weekly weight losses can range from a few ounces up to 4 pounds, and my calorie goal is roughly the same every week (aside from the weekends that I designate cheat days so I don't go insane on all the lovely lovely food I deny myself the rest of the week) so things fluctuate, but I just tell myself that each week is a brand new challenge worth "refreshing" in your mind.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Going to buy some peanut butter and nuts in this weeks shops to help me hit the goal calories. I have been feeling tired this week so I think that coming under my goal may not actually be helping me. Thanks!

Don't forget that rest day!