Shift Workers! I need advice!

Options
Hello fellow shift workers. Looking for advice on how to continue to eat properly when working shift work. My shifts rotate on a weekly basis either working 11p-9a, 1p-11p or 7a-5p. My main problem is with working backshift because I end up sleeping throughout the day and missing meals, then snacking all night to help me stay awake. Any other shift workers out there with the same problem and how do you work it out to eat regularly? :happy:

Replies

• jaimecopeland
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat. If you find a solution, let me know :). I am attempting to at least eat someone decent meals and I am trying to decide between Insanity and Tapout XT. I have been stretching/doing my own version of yoga right before I go to bed (whenever that may be). I have gained weight since I started my job. Snacking is my go-to to stay awake as well.
  • jennivive83
    Options
    I work FT graveyards 7p-7a and I eat my breakfast when I wake up and then eat my lunch and dinner while working...I usually eat breakfast at home at about 5 pm (because I usually sleep till 4pm) Then have my lunch and dinner while I work usually 11pm for lunch and 4am for dinner. Usually works out well for me. Took a while to get used to eating my meals during the night but before I did it this way I would always end up eating an extra meal OR worse just having a few snacks during the night and then totally eating everything in sight when I got home from work because I was starving!!
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard to eat like normal on shift work, there are still only 24 hours in a day and you (general) only sleep for 8 of those. I work 4 ten hour shifts so here is how my week looks.

Mon - work midnight to 10am, eating breakfast and lunch at work, nap from 11a to 3p then have dinner with family around 530p, go to bed around 9pm
    Tue - wake up around 7am, have breakfast, lunch and dinner at normal times with family, go to sleep around 10p
    Wed - same as Tues
    Thur - wake around 7am, have normal mealtimes, nap from 6p to 10p, work out, go to work
    Fri - work midnight to 10am eating breakfast and lunch at work, go home and have dinner with the family around 12p then go to bed around 130p. Wake up around 930p and go work out.
    Sat and Sun - same as Friday.

What works for me is adjusting my sleep on days that I work so that I am up only 2 hours before starting my work day, just like I would if I worked a regular 8 to 5p.
  • freerunner12
    freerunner12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also worked overnight shifts similar to yours- at a fast food restaurant! I found the key to success was being organized and try to maintain some kind of routine. Always take a packed "lunch" with you to work that includes healthy things you love. Some things I would take would be sanatarium up and go, watermelon, raisons,bannana, yoghurt (put in freezer when you get home ready for next day) Bottle of water and tea bags/instant coffee sachets- that way id still get my cafine fix but wouldnt be tempted to get all the tempting extras (and extra hidden calories) that you get with takeaway coffee. If you do have cafiene however always have it before or at the start of your shift otherwise it can throw your sleeping pattern out even more. Workout within an hour or so of getting up even if you feel tired. Often id wake up feeling lethargic but 9 times out of 10 after10mins or so into my workout id feel better and leave the gym feeling energised-especially if I had a cool shower afterwards.Oh and do tell your work mates about your goal to be healthier- this really helps! You will think twice about giving into temptation at work when others know about your goal and others who have similar goals may even be able to give you tips or support you. Hopefully this helps. Good luck :)
  • CaralynH
    Options
    Can't you take some proper food to work with you, so rather than snacking, you eat a real meal? I take either microwaveable low-cal healthy ready meals, or similar that I've made at home in advance and frozen. I never know when I will get a break, but when I do get back to base for food, I just pop it in the microwave and have decent food. I do carry fruit and cereal bars with me as well for when I am hungry, but rarely go over my calorie allowance.
    I'm on nights tonight (7-7) so I've just had a late breakfast, I'll have a "lunch" at about 4-5pm, then hot food at work anytime between 11pm and 5am (as I said, who knows when I'll get a break). Fruit and cereal bars will fill the gap either before or after my break. I'll get home, go straight to bed, and get up about 3pm for "breakfast".